Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Get ready to reap what you have sown, as today is a rare October Harvest Moon (they're usually closer to the equinox). I say today rather than tonight, as Space.com says this will peak at 2:40 pm EDT, but this will apparently offer some treats for stargazers all night. "October's full Harvest Moon will shine all night tonight (Oct. 5) while passing by ó or fully covering ó Neptune in some parts of the world," according to the article. "In the predawn hours, you'll get another celestial show with Mars and Venus close together in the eastern sky."

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Papers.Scissors.Rocks.
Stories: Rock Hall of Fame: Radiohead, Rage, Bon Jovi Lead Nominees. Kate Bush!
Santa dead, archaeologists say.
Science:
(Studies Today)
More than half of cancer drugs may not work, study suggests.
CDC: 40 percent of cancers linked to obesity, overweight.
Unselfish People Are More Likely to Wind Up With Depression. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Printer of DOOM! - PRINTING IN HELL [HD] E1M1.
Metal in Very Inappropriate Places.
Steve Jobs Foretold the Downfall of Apple.
Follow-up: Productive on six hours of sleep? Youíre deluding yourself, expert says. Thanks Slashdot.
National Taco Day: 5 things you never knew about the beloved food.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2017, 10:36 RedEye9

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 23:01:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 20:36:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 18:23:
The amount that Windows Defender slows down your system is ridiculous, and there are free options out there that perform much better. AV-Comparatives and AV-Test's conclusions are both pretty clear on this point, but for some reason people still recommend Defender. It makes no sense to bog down a fast modern PC with something like that, when much better free alternatives exist.
On all the systems that I have installed either Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender, and it's a bunch, no one has noticed a difference nor complained.
Plus MSE works fine on my laptop & desktop, and I demand fast toys.

Pigeon, there is no need to fear the ferryman, it will get you to the other side.

The subjective "nobody noticed" benchmark isn't really valid with the speed of modern computers. Many people run bitcoin miners without noticing them for months/years as well. If you truly care about getting the most out of the computer you've paid a bunch of money for, I would say that objective analysis of the performance for something like an Antivirus program is important.

Most recent performance tests from AV-Comparatives: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/avc_per_201705_en.pdf

Basic tasks like file copying, installing applications and web browsing take a significant hit on PC's running Windows Defender. There is no reason to slow your computer in this way unless you are too lazy to install a decent AV.
Did i say nobody noticed, my bad, i meant no one cares.

The built-in av comes from a trusted name, gets good detecton results, does not bug you to register it, is ad free, does not hawk additional wares and it does not pop-up confusing questions. It does not display meaningless detection statistics nor does it have a confusing interface.

The majority of my customers want simple. They don't install programs and don't move files around.

TLDR Microsofts AV suits mine and my customer's needs. Safely, quietly and efficiently.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Discovery Oct 6, 2017, 01:31 Kxmode

I finally had a chance to watch the first three episodes back-to-back. I still don't like the redesigned Klingons, but I have my suspicions for where the show could be taking them and if it does then the redesign is brilliant. As far as the story goes, okay I am sold. Discovery has a fascinating premise. I like the "Section 31" direction the series is moving toward. The clandestine group has always fascinated me, and the few episodes they appeared in DS9 are among my favorite.

Jason Isaacs is excellent as Captain Gabriel Lorca and a welcomed replacement for Michelle Yeoh's Captain Phillipa Georgiou. Michelle's acting in the first two episodes was okay but never would have held my attention for a full series duration. Sonequa Martin as the lead is shockingly good. I think these three episodes are all around better than the first three episodes of most of the other Star Trek series if comparing first three episodes to first three episodes. This show has to hook faster with fewer episodes than the other series did. For me, at least, it has done its job well. So I give it a solid 8.5/10. As a bonus, the rampant lens flares are significantly reduced or outright gone from episode three. A change I readily welcome.

I have yet to watch The Orville, so my judgment is reserved.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2017, 01:45.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 23:01 Mordecai Walfish

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 20:36:
The amount that Windows Defender slows down your system is ridiculous, and there are free options out there that perform much better. AV-Comparatives and AV-Test's conclusions are both pretty clear on this point, but for some reason people still recommend Defender. It makes no sense to bog down a fast modern PC with something like that, when much better free alternatives exist.
On all the systems that I have installed either Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender, and it's a bunch, no one has noticed a difference nor complained.

Pigeon, there is no need to fear the ferryman, it will get you to the other side.

The subjective "nobody noticed" benchmark isn't really valid with the speed of modern computers. Many people run bitcoin miners without noticing them for months/years as well. If you truly care about getting the most out of the computer you've paid a bunch of money for, I would say that objective analysis of the performance for something like an Antivirus program is important.

Most recent performance tests from AV-Comparatives: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/avc_per_201705_en.pdf

Basic tasks like file copying, installing applications and web browsing take a significant hit on PC's running Windows Defender. There is no reason to slow your computer in this way unless you are too lazy to install a decent AV.

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 22:58 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 21:49:
And from the hypocritical right to life party, Republican Tim Murphy resigns from Congress after asking his pregnant gal on the side to have that thing sucked out
Do as I say and not as I do, thanks bro

Yeah his (ex?) girlfriend's online comment to him was devastating.

Few of these assholes really practice what they preach. IOKIYAR.

Stay a while, and listen.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 22:06 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 21:49:
And from the hypocritical right to life party, Republican Tim Murphy resigns from Congress after asking his pregnant gal on the side to have that thing sucked out
Actually, the only surprising thing about this is he is resigning over it. If all the hypocrites in Congress resigned -- I don't know how many would be left, but I'm fairly sure it would not constitute a quorum.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 21:49 RedEye9

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 20:36 RedEye9

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2017, 20:51.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 5, 2017, 18:23 Mordecai Walfish

Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 17:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:53:
Pigeon wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:33:
Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.
You would probably be fine with Microsoft's free offering combined with Premium Malwarebytes, it's what I use. (it is almost impossible to find the lifetime license for mbam since they discontinued that option ~4 years ago, sniff).
Malwarebytes does not recommend using just their protection by itself. A smart user who kept their system updated could probably get away with it, but there is always somebody smarter on the other end who wants to {-f-} your shit up.

Kaspersky has a free av option that is not supposed to have advertising.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/
https://www.av-test.org/en/

That sounds like the best option. The only problem I've had in years was CCleaner, and even then I didn't have the registry entry that was supposed to be indicative of the malware. I deleted it anyways.

Avira has the best performance/detection ratio out of the free AV options, currently. They have pop-up ads in the taskbar, but you can eliminate those completely with BGPKiller.

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 17:27 Pigeon

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 11:53:
Anyone have recommendations for an antivirus program? I've been using Bitdefender, which has worked well, but they really pissed me off when I renewed last year and I have no wish to support them any further. I was considering using just Malwarebytes, I run script blocking, and uBlock on my browser so Iím reasonably protected from web-based attacks, but Iím not averse to additional protection in that area.
You would probably be fine with Microsoft's free offering combined with Premium Malwarebytes, it's what I use. (it is almost impossible to find the lifetime license for mbam since they discontinued that option ~4 years ago, sniff).
Malwarebytes does not recommend using just their protection by itself. A smart user who kept their system updated could probably get away with it, but there is always somebody smarter on the other end who wants to {-f-} your shit up.

That sounds like the best option. The only problem I've had in years was CCleaner, and even then I didn't have the registry entry that was supposed to be indicative of the malware. I deleted it anyways.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:26 jdreyer

Not a huge fan of Bon Jovi, but my old GF took me to a concert and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. 3.5 hours of all their greatest songs as well as a bunch of classic rock covers. Just amazing. Great energy, emotion, and technical skills.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 13:21 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 13:07:
Retired wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 10:14:
But at the end of the day you have people living into their 90s that drinks, smoke, etc their whole lives.

Perhaps, but you never see an obese 90 year old.
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/2007/no-such-thing-as-an-old-junkie/ my favorite is the video

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 13:07 jdreyer

But at the end of the day you have people living into their 90s that drinks, smoke, etc their whole lives.

Perhaps, but you never see an obese 90 year old.

16. Re: More than half of cancer drugs may not work, study suggests. Oct 5, 2017, 13:05 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 12:44:
A Dr. Algernop Krieger recently tested the chemical composition of the IV bags that certain breast cancer patients were using and confirmed that they were indeed filled with Zima.

Yes, but that was an improvement over the IV solution standard previously pioneered by Doctors James and Bartles.

15. More than half of cancer drugs may not work, study suggests. Oct 5, 2017, 12:44 SlimRam

A Dr. Algernop Krieger recently tested the chemical composition of the IV bags that certain breast cancer patients were using and confirmed that they were indeed filled with Zima.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:53 RedEye9

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:44 Pigeon

More precisely, prosocial attitudes predict depression, which is in contrast to individualist attitudes. Individualist here basically just means selfish, or relatively selfish.

It's that crushing realization that the world is run by assholes who take advantage of nice giving people, and that their efforts to help others and reduce the miasma of suffering and misery will forever be undone by the selfish. Life's a drag man Beatnik

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:43 Mr. Tact

I'm using AVG. The one down side is it occasionally (once or twice a week? maybe less) gives a pop-up to prompt you upgrade to pay version. It is infrequent enough that I haven't bothered to go looking for something else.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:40 Verno

At home? Just use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes once in awhile if you really want to cover your bases. Most AV is reactive garbage and heuristic prediction is going on useless these days. Keeping everything up to date is the most effective strategy nowadays and sane browsing/email habits.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:33 Pigeon

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 11:14 Verno

I dunno man. I know a lot of people that have cancer or died from cancer and it SEEMS like a lot of it (at early age deaths, ie at or before 60) can most likely be explained by environment. For example. 2 uncles died, one very recently, both had a very aggressive form of cancer, but both worked at a major newspaper their whole lives, no other job. The one that died 5 years ago worked the print floor around the machines and chemicals his whole life (he also smoked like a boss), his cousin, died this year, but was able to be promoted off of the floor to an executive position many years ago - also never smoked.

My point is. We have no clue. I think there are a number of things that can obviously stir the pot when it comes to altering our bodies and creating an environment that MIGHT push cancer in the body to come to fruition. But at the end of the day you have people living into their 90s that drinks, smoke, etc their whole lives.

But we do have a clue. We can't predict the future but we can reduce our risks. Cancer has many causes and no one lives forever, these things we know. We also know for example that over-consumption of red meat is linked to significantly increased of colon cancer. We know that exposure to certain chemicals and other environmental factors increases the risk. Does it mean you should never eat meat? No, its your life but if you want to minimize the risk and thus maximize your life to the extent that you have control over that, perhaps don't have a steak every night.

But getting back to the original point, there are numerous studies linking obesity to various forms of cancer and that's without going into non-cancerous health impacts. So whether or not you might randomly get cancer through other factors, probably not a good idea to be living an unhealthy lifestyle. It really isn't difficult to life a healthy life and you can absolutely still enjoy yourself while doing so. Many people just have no concept of balance unfortunately but I empathize because we do live in a society of extremes and abundance of temptations

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo