Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the 60th anniversary of the space age, as Sputnik was launched by the Soviet Union on this day in 1957. Space.com has an article with some interesting perspectives on this. But that's not the only thing special about today, which is not just spacey, but also spicy, as it is National Taco Day, a totally not made up occasion. Okay, maybe it is totally made up, but what holiday isn't? This article has details on how you may be able to take advantage of this major holiday by scoring a free taco. The same site that noted this says today is also National Vodka Day, but there does not seem to be anywhere to use this to get a free martini. Maybe next year.

Spacey, Spicy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bazooka Gunner War Strike 3D.
Stories: Tom Petty, America's Definitive Rock Icon, Crafted a Soundtrack for Generations.
Tropical depression expected to develop today and head toward Gulf Coast.
Media: Size Matters - Epic NPC Man.
ADAM: The Mirror. More from Oats Studios and Neill Blomkamp.
Cuphead on a Black & White CRT TV. Thanks Boing Boing.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 14:12 Rigs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 09:09:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 02:07:
Dude, you gotta get a generator so you can keep us all informed via Twitter. When you go offline, we all get worried.
Even that would not help if the infrastructure is damaged like Puerto Rico.
But a generator could keep a satellite phone charged and since sat phone time is sooooo expensive Riggs would have no choice but to keep his posts succinct.

Edit: this post contains humor.

We actually had a guy down the street bring a generator about three hours before the lights came back on. 'Course we had no way of knowing that at the time, so it was a nice gesture. He just had them sitting in his storage shed, old Army generators from the 'Nam era, no joke! Pullin' that cord to get it started might rip your arm off if you have it set incorrectly, the Army don't fuck around. I keep two phones charged at all times now, plus an iPad.

When the weather pattern changes (ie, when we get our first major cold front), that usually means the end of the storm season for us. It's pretty abrupt, actually. One week you'll have storms every afternoon and it'll be humid and nasty and that cold front comes through and boom! No more afternoon thunderstorms and we're in our dry period. People are kinda shocked when they find out our rainy season is the summer months. They think Florida, it means constant sun. Not so much in the summer.

Anyway, the newest model runs have shifted the track, again, to the west and into Alabama and Louisiana. While I hate to see anyone get nailed, I'd rather not have to go through another week of no power so soon after the last time. We went two weeks in 2004 with Frances and then lost it for a week more when Jean came through a few weeks later. I don't need a repeat of that.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 09:09 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2017, 02:07:
Rigs wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 19:53:
Just a heads up to those interested, we're looking down the barrel of another tropical system, soon-to-be TS/Hurricane Nate. It has a 65% chance of rapid intensification and is likely to be at least a Cat1 by landfall, not too far west of here....again. This, not even a month after Irma came smashing through. We're getting our prep done early this time and hope that the track will change or that the upper atmosphere will be too hostile for serious storm building. Only time will tell, I suppose.

In any case, my Twit is still active and I've posted the first of the tracks and our local forecast -> @MichaelRigs ... and again, if things get dicey Sunday, that's where I'll keep in touch, when I can. Even after the storm, our highs are going to be in the upper 90's for a few days with some serious humidity, so if the power does go down again, it's going to be brutal with no a/c. Someone wanna text Mother Nature and let her know it's frakkin' October already?!

=-Rigs-=

Dude, you gotta get a generator so you can keep us all informed via Twitter. When you go offline, we all get worried.
Even that would not help if the infrastructure is damaged like Puerto Rico.
But a generator could keep a satellite phone charged and since sat phone time is sooooo expensive Riggs would have no choice but to keep his posts succinct.

Edit: this post contains humor.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2017, 02:07 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 19:53:
Just a heads up to those interested, we're looking down the barrel of another tropical system, soon-to-be TS/Hurricane Nate. It has a 65% chance of rapid intensification and is likely to be at least a Cat1 by landfall, not too far west of here....again. This, not even a month after Irma came smashing through. We're getting our prep done early this time and hope that the track will change or that the upper atmosphere will be too hostile for serious storm building. Only time will tell, I suppose.

In any case, my Twit is still active and I've posted the first of the tracks and our local forecast -> @MichaelRigs ... and again, if things get dicey Sunday, that's where I'll keep in touch, when I can. Even after the storm, our highs are going to be in the upper 90's for a few days with some serious humidity, so if the power does go down again, it's going to be brutal with no a/c. Someone wanna text Mother Nature and let her know it's frakkin' October already?!

=-Rigs-=

Stay a while, and listen.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 21:56 RedEye9

If you get a chance watch "Runnin’ Down A Dream" on Netflix, great Tom Petty documentary. Big music labels suxored.

14. Re: Google's Oct 4, 2017, 21:24 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 19:50:
If this works anywhere close to as well as demonstrated early in this video, it is pretty damn amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Je5UklCcXY
still waiting on a babelfish

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 19:53 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

12. Re: Google's "real-time" language translation Oct 4, 2017, 19:50 Mr. Tact

If this works anywhere close to as well as demonstrated early in this video, it is pretty damn amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Je5UklCcXY

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 15:26 Cutter

There's so little real and good Latin food up here. Wish there was more. There's a couple of good places in downtown TO but that's way too far to go. There is a Latin grocery store about 30 mins from mine place and every now and then they make real tamales which are amazing but they don't do it regular which sucks.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 14:31 Creston

Okay, maybe it is totally made up, but what holiday isn't?

Well, DUH. "Wipe like you mean it" day, of course!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 12:48 RedEye9

black & white Cuphead was great.

Tacos for lunch, now how did I get that idea.
Who says advertising doesn't work.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 12:34 Verno

PHJF wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 10:37:
To be fair, I eat Chipotle more than once per week... but what kind of idiot gets tacos? Everyone knows you get the most food by ordering a bowl and getting a tortilla on the side... so halfway through eating the bowl you can MAKE a complete burrito. It's two meals in one!

I've seen so many people doing this in recent months, I'm surprised the chain hasn't tried to be assholes and stop it with some ridiculous rule or item changes.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 11:59 jdreyer

Speaking of Sputnik, I watched Hidden Figures last weekend. Great take on the space race.  

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 11:09 MajorD

I'll eat Mexican food any day of the week. I don't need no stinking National Taco Day!

Still counting...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 10:45 Peter M. Smith

Fist bump on the proper Chipotle ordering etiquette.

*fistbump*

Still, I'm not sold on chorizo in general. Nor am I too keen on their queso, or at least I'm not keen on paying what they want me to pay.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 10:37 PHJF

To be fair, I eat Chipotle more than once per week... but what kind of idiot gets tacos? Everyone knows you get the most food by ordering a bowl and getting a tortilla on the side... so halfway through eating the bowl you can MAKE a complete burrito. It's two meals in one!

Also, kind of a bummer that chorizo didn't take off. I mean I love it, but it really needs cut with another meat and not taken on its own: hence, chori pollo.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 10:24 Peter M. Smith

PHJF wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 10:10:
But Taco Tuesday was yesterday...

You restrict the days you eat tacos to one per week? Heathen.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 10:10 PHJF

But Taco Tuesday was yesterday...  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 09:43 Peter M. Smith

National Taco Day and National Vodka Day are the same day? The new Taco Bell Cantina is going to be *packed*.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo