Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hard to think of anything appropriate to say about Las Vegas concert shooting other than to decry it. But it also feels wrong to, as I sometimes do, talk about something unrelated instead. Our thoughts are with those affected by the violence, which, to some degree, is all of us.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stunt Skateboard 3D.
Into the Depths.
Story: McDonald's Brings Back Szechuan Sauce For Limited Time, Thanks To 'Rick And Morty'. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: This early human ancestor is to blame for genital herpes.
Gravitational Waves Will Bring the Extreme Universe Into View.
Researchers develop smart tattoos that use color changing ink for medical info.
Media: It Came from the Desert (2017) Exclusive Teaser Trailer.
Getting 12.5 Kg Gold Bar Out Of Glass Box.
Free gifts.
Follow-up: You Won't Believe What Elon Musk Has Planned Next -- for Mars.
The Funnies: Overwrought ę EXTRALIFE.

View
119 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

119. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 20:00 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 19:43:
It will take someone with a spine in Congress for this to be cured. It happened in Australia, it can happen here.
http://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/gun-control-australia-updated/

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

118. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 15:20 Mr. Tact

If only it was that easy...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

117. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 15:05 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 12:42:
BobBob wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:49:
Never blame rich people for their horrific behavior, blame the everyday consumer for continuing to purchase their products or services.
Unfortunately, when their product is the power industry and you have no choice whom you buy your power from...

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

116. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 12:42 Mr. Tact

BobBob wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 11:49:
Never blame rich people for their horrific behavior, blame the everyday consumer for continuing to purchase their products or services.
Unfortunately, when their product is the power industry and you have no choice whom you buy your power from...

115. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 11:49 BobBob

Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 09:19:
The Kochs have a weird grip on policy in this country, as does Sheldon Adelson, who is even more loathsome. Someone did a horrific report on Adelson a few years back that would make your blood boil. Doing so many things to make sure his billions made him count more than any other American.

However, given the absolute lunacy conspiracy theories some of The_Donald types, two or three are here, have about George Soros, I no longer worry much. Yeah, it may be poor logic, as we have actual data and journalism showing the ways Adelson and the Kochs use their billions to shape policy, while anything Soros related is people convinced he's paying every American that doesn't like Trump to hold that opinion, employing us all with absolutely no paper trail and no clear means of recruiting us, but their paranoia is so intense it makes me think that the impact of Adelson and the Kochs is probably much less than the shadow they actually cast.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

114. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 09:19 Beamer

The Kochs have a weird grip on policy in this country, as does Sheldon Adelson, who is even more loathsome. Someone did a horrific report on Adelson a few years back that would make your blood boil. Doing so many things to make sure his billions made him count more than any other American.

However, given the absolute lunacy conspiracy theories some of The_Donald types, two or three are here, have about George Soros, I no longer worry much. Yeah, it may be poor logic, as we have actual data and journalism showing the ways Adelson and the Kochs use their billions to shape policy, while anything Soros related is people convinced he's paying every American that doesn't like Trump to hold that opinion, employing us all with absolutely no paper trail and no clear means of recruiting us, but their paranoia is so intense it makes me think that the impact of Adelson and the Kochs is probably much less than the shadow they actually cast.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

113. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 08:55 Verno

Yep exactly. You don't even need to read between the lines to see their strategy here. The ATF previously ruled (during the Obama admin no less) that these were legal, the NRA knows this and said "well we support if its regulated properly" which is nice and fucking vague, not to mention they know its already been ruled on.

They will also do everything they can to sabotage this behind the scenes even if it goes forward, its their strategy every time.

Also due to the Kochs and others like them, we have a minority party currently holding all three branches of government.

I'm no fan of the Koch's but the Dems wear a lot of that too.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

112. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 18:36 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 18:07:
The NRA came out in support of regulating bump stocks
This was a standard "bait and switch" play by the NRA. What they actually did was say the ATF should make regulations against them. Which 1) obviously could just as easily be removed and 2) the ATF had previously visited the subject and stated creating regulations like this was outside their authority.

111. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 18:07 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 16:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 13:39:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 13:17:

Yup, if the NRA were banned from donating millions to politicians, getting a bump stock ban instituted would be cake-easy.
And yet the NRA does not donate a tenth of what the Koch brothers do.
I don't know if this is true, but I assume it is likely. Which is why it has always stuck me as odd that the NRA has nearly every politician's balls in their pocket, but the Koch brothers don't seem to get as much traction. Maybe their traction has gone unnoticed by me?
The NRA came out in support of regulating bump stocks
Not sure if that ratio is 100% correcto-mundo, I heard it with my ears over the weekend. I will try and find the source.
In the mean time.
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000082&cycle=A

110. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 17:29 jdreyer

Yup, if the NRA were banned from donating millions to politicians, getting a bump stock ban instituted would be cake-easy.
Yup, and unlike every other first world nation, we have no meaningful global warming legislation either.

Also due to the Kochs and others like them, we have a minority party currently holding all three branches of government.

Stay a while, and listen.

109. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 16:58 Mr. Tact

I don't know if this is true, but I assume it is likely. Which is why it has always stuck me as odd that the NRA has nearly every politician's balls in their pocket, but the Koch brothers don't seem to get as much traction. Maybe their traction has gone unnoticed by me?

108. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 16:20 Verno

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 06:59:
As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

Might not be cake easy but at least it might be possible without being riddled with amendment loopholes and other issues.

Do you think "public pressure" that goes away after a 5 day news cycle is going to do anything? After Sandy Hook?!

You want real change? We need to stop the NRA. Until then its Facebook videos and platitudes.

107. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 13:39 RedEye9

106. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 13:17 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 06:59:
As predicted NRA opposes ban on bump stocks that were deemed legal by the ATF during the Obama era.

Go after the source, not the low hanging fruit and feelgood stuff that accomplishes nothing.

105. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 06:59 Verno

103. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 15:01 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:40:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:57:
10 lies about gun control and and 5 more myths
Personal favorites
MYTH NO. 3 Mental illness is behind most gun violence against others.
Lie #6: Chicago has tight gun restrictions and mass gun violence. Ergo, gun laws donít work.
Lie #8: We need guns to protect ourselves from the government.
Lie #10: Americans oppose tighter gun regulation.

RE: number 8, a favorite among the white male pro-2nd amendment crowd: get onto youtube and google "Apache kill video" to see what little use a gun collection will be against the might of the US military if it were turned against its own citizens.
Thousands of rounds of ammunition won't even protect you from http://time.com/4398196/dallas-shooting-bomb-robot/

I also love the myth that we can't do anything because there are 300 million guns in the US. That's always good for a laugh.

102. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 14:40 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 21:57:
10 lies about gun control and and 5 more myths
Personal favorites
MYTH NO. 3 Mental illness is behind most gun violence against others.
Lie #6: Chicago has tight gun restrictions and mass gun violence. Ergo, gun laws donít work.
Lie #8: We need guns to protect ourselves from the government.
Lie #10: Americans oppose tighter gun regulation.

RE: number 8, a favorite among the white male pro-2nd amendment crowd: get onto youtube and google "Apache kill video" to see what little use a gun collection will be against the might of the US military if it were turned against its own citizens.

101. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 14:34 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 14:59:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 01:34:
Guess who needs another hurricane to raise his poll numbers.
They sure didn't stay up very long.

32%. Ouch, that's positively Nixonian.

What does it matter? Polling is skewed to the point of near-uselessness, as evidenced by Hillary's embarrassing loss in the election despite polls showing an easy win. The real issue is that unless The Democrat party puts up a real candidate and stops sabotaging candidates that resonate with the populace but aren't their specific chosen one then we're all going to have 8 years of Trump.
Nate Silver gave Trump a 30% chance of winning. That's a real chance. Polling worked just fine, people simply chose not to believe. As for HRC over Sanders, she simply won more votes during the primary than him. A lot more.

100. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 00:12 Quboid

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 20:49:
The irony is that all of the non-stop attacks from the late night hosts, CNN and etc just galvanize his supporters.

Who do you mean by his supporters? Anyone who voted Republican, or the die-hard lot? I wouldn't really mind if the second lot are marginalised, like they should be in a functioning democracy.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

119 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo