Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 18:03 Leper

Happy to see it's getting good reviews. I thought it looked good and I was planning on seeing it unless got terrible reviews. The first movie was kinda slow but I thought it was decent noir detective story set in an awesome setting which made it good overall IMO. I don't watch it that often so I'm not a huge fan, but I am a fan of sci-fi and think we need to get more good sci-fi movies (and less crappy action sci-fi movies).  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 16:21 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 16:14:
Nullity wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:54:
I probably shouldn't be admitting this in public, but here goes...

I love sci-fi. It is, without a doubt, my favorite genre. But I just don't like Blade Runner. It's almost universally regarded as the pinnacle of science fiction, but I find it painfully slow and boring. I've even seen all 3 of the versions previous mentioned (theatrical, director's, final), each time feeling excited when it begins that this is finally going to be the viewing where I "get it" and the movie is great. It never happens, and instead, I'm left wondering why I subjected myself to it again.

I like the actors, they all do a fine job. The cinematography and effects are amazing, even to this day. Yet the film as a whole just slogs and can barely hold my attention. I just don't find it interesting.

I've always had this feeling that I *want* to like this movie, but try as I might, I just can't. What is it I'm missing?

(And no, I'm not the type that only likes fast action and special effects. I love character development and great stories.)
Try the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"*, it's what the movie was based on.
As for the 3 versions, seen one seen em all.

*blues amazon link

Loosely based. The names are all there, but it's a massively different story in tone and content.

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 16:14 RedEye9

I love sci-fi. It is, without a doubt, my favorite genre. But I just don't like Blade Runner. It's almost universally regarded as the pinnacle of science fiction, but I find it painfully slow and boring. I've even seen all 3 of the versions previous mentioned (theatrical, director's, final), each time feeling excited when it begins that this is finally going to be the viewing where I "get it" and the movie is great. It never happens, and instead, I'm left wondering why I subjected myself to it again.

I like the actors, they all do a fine job. The cinematography and effects are amazing, even to this day. Yet the film as a whole just slogs and can barely hold my attention. I just don't find it interesting.

I've always had this feeling that I *want* to like this movie, but try as I might, I just can't. What is it I'm missing?

(And no, I'm not the type that only likes fast action and special effects. I love character development and great stories.)
Try the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"*, it's what the movie was based on.
As for the 3 versions, seen one seen em all.

*blues amazon link

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

6. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 13:34 Nullity

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 13:22:
Some people just don't like slow dramas.. they need constant in your face LOOK HERE LOOK HERE, Force feed information into their eye and ear holes.

Blade Runner makes you think, yeah it's a little slow but I think the movie is excellent, I was really bummed to hear they were making another one.. hope it actually turns out to be good.

Sure, but as I tried to point out though (perhaps insufficiently), that's not the case with me. I don't need everything in my face, and I enjoy many other slower films that make you have to think. In fact, it usually annoys me when information is force-fed to the audience, and at the extreme can even feel condescending.

For some reason that I can't seem to put my finger on, I just can't get into Blade Runner.

5. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 13:22 Tipsy McStagger

Some people just don't like slow dramas.. they need constant in your face LOOK HERE LOOK HERE, Force feed information into their eye and ear holes.

Blade Runner makes you think, yeah it's a little slow but I think the movie is excellent, I was really bummed to hear they were making another one.. hope it actually turns out to be good.

4. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 12:54 Nullity

3. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 05:23 DarkCntry

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 00:42:
Confession time.

I have seen MAYBE 45 mins of Blade Runner. I understand there are roughly 5-6 versions of the movie. Which would be THE (or multiple) version(s) to watch before seeing 2049?

Either the theatrical version or the Final Cut...however, I'd say to simply watch the three main ones, theatrical, director's, and final...they each bring a different feel to the movie, and the differences between theatrical and director's can even make them feel like different movies overall.

2. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 04:02 DangerDog

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 00:42:
Confession time.

I have seen MAYBE 45 mins of Blade Runner. I understand there are roughly 5-6 versions of the movie. Which would be THE (or multiple) version(s) to watch before seeing 2049?

In the 80's when the movie was released they felt the need to have Ford do voice over to explain the story to people, only much later was it revealed that Ford deliberately attempted to sabotage the VO being added by doing a "bad reading" of the lines. I guess I'm still partial to that version because that's the way I saw it in the theater. I still think it matches pretty well with the film noir type mood.

That's probably the biggest difference, I think the rest is just adding a few extra scenes but nothing really important. I really wish we had gotten to see some of the off world stuff mentioned in the film. I just mentally splice in scenes from Outland into Blade Runner.

The director cut mainly answers the question "do androids dream of electric sheep?" or... unicorns.

1. Re: Into the Black Sep 29, 2017, 00:42 The Half Elf

Confession time.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo