Fortnite Battle Royale Launches

There are new release notes on the Epic Games website for a new version 1.6.3 patch that's now live in Fortnite, their early access survival game. This adds the game's new Battle Royale mode, which they admit is inspired by PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, though this confession has not prevented backlash over the similarities. Here's word on this free mode:
It’s time for everyone to drop out of the Battle Bus and into Fortnite Battle Royale as the mode goes free on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac with the release of the 1.6.3 patch tomorrow (Sept. 26). Gather your squad: four-player and two-player groups are here. Along with squads, we’ve added three new weapons and supply crates that drop from the sky during the match containing valuable items and weapons. This patch also includes a full Battle Royale balance pass, bug fixes and more.

For those out there Saving the World in PVE, we fixed a number of campaign bugs among other improvements. We’ll be talking more about the Horde Bash update for Save The World later this week, but if you missed the early look at the update, you can check out the latest dev video here & Zak’s roadmap forum post here.

Check out the full release notes below and let us know what you think on the official forums and Discord.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches
Sep 27, 2017, 09:31
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 27, 2017, 09:31
Sep 27, 2017, 09:31

And people think I'm a drama queen.

Sep 27, 2017, 08:36
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 27, 2017, 08:36
Sep 27, 2017, 08:36

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 20:06:
"So, we just want to emphasize this is only a problem because Epic Games is the company that makes the engine we use and we pay a large amount of royalties to them," Kim said. "And we had this business relationship and we had trust that we would be getting continued support, and we were looking forward to working more closely with them to get technical support, maybe develop new features. But our name was used to officially promote their game without our knowledge. There was no discussion. It was just a bit surprising and disappointing to see our business partner using our name officially to promote the game mode that is pretty similar to us and there was misunderstanding in the community that we're officially involved in the project."

How dare a game engine company mention other games made with THEIR engine in marketing materiel. You know what they should just try and sue Epic. The last company that tried that had to destroy every copy of their game.

This whole incident could have been avoided if they went to Epic first and not the press. Very unprofessional and stupid. Now its backfiring even more with their toxic community posting in every article mentioning Fortnite, putting off any chance of new players joining PUGB.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 2017, 09:09.

Sep 26, 2017, 21:13
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 21:13
Sep 26, 2017, 21:13

Might have to check this out at some point - doesn't look anywhere near as bad (read: repetitive) as the PVE game... plus it's free.

Sep 26, 2017, 20:10
Beamer

Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 20:10
Sep 26, 2017, 20:10
 Beamer

there was misunderstanding in the community that we're officially involved in the project

Is there, though?
Epic said:
We love Battle Royale games like PUBG and thought Fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version

Who thinks that means "PUBG is officially involved!"

Sep 26, 2017, 20:06
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 20:06
Sep 26, 2017, 20:06

"So, we just want to emphasize this is only a problem because Epic Games is the company that makes the engine we use and we pay a large amount of royalties to them," Kim said. "And we had this business relationship and we had trust that we would be getting continued support, and we were looking forward to working more closely with them to get technical support, maybe develop new features. But our name was used to officially promote their game without our knowledge. There was no discussion. It was just a bit surprising and disappointing to see our business partner using our name officially to promote the game mode that is pretty similar to us and there was misunderstanding in the community that we're officially involved in the project."

Sep 26, 2017, 19:23
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 19:23
Sep 26, 2017, 19:23

Steazy wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 19:07:
MyNickNameHere wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 18:16:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 17:41:
Blizzard didn't invent the MMO Wheel but it did refine it. Same goes for every genre. But Epic Games was putting out marketing material using the PUBG name. It is the Battle Royale "genre" which you could use FPS, MOBA, RTS, etc, but no the explicitly used PUBG in referencing their game, which is a pretty big no no among devs.

If you climb of your high horse that's facing the wrong direction and read Bluehole's explanation you will find that they have issue with the Unreal Engine being used for both games. Nothing to do with marketing, nothing to do with the name, nothing to do with the genre.

Also you clearly haven't been into games for a long time. Its very common to reference your inspiration for creating your game.

Yea how dare Epic use the Unreal Engine to make their own game! Obviously the Unreal Engine was created by god for PUBG and all the time Epic engineers spent creating all the engine features that PUBG uses was actually paid for by Bluehole and Epic has *NO RIGHT* to use their own code!... not many people know that.
How dare they call it the Unreal Engine and not remake the original Unreal including it's awesome coop (or did mods add coop?). And also include lan play dangnabbit.
But i guess that's impossible now that the engine can only be used for PUBG /s
The third rule of "Fight Club"—wear a mask.

Sep 26, 2017, 19:07
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 19:07
Sep 26, 2017, 19:07

MyNickNameHere wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 18:16:
Blizzard didn't invent the MMO Wheel but it did refine it. Same goes for every genre. But Epic Games was putting out marketing material using the PUBG name. It is the Battle Royale "genre" which you could use FPS, MOBA, RTS, etc, but no the explicitly used PUBG in referencing their game, which is a pretty big no no among devs.

If you climb of your high horse that's facing the wrong direction and read Bluehole's explanation you will find that they have issue with the Unreal Engine being used for both games. Nothing to do with marketing, nothing to do with the name, nothing to do with the genre.

Also you clearly haven't been into games for a long time. Its very common to reference your inspiration for creating your game.

Yea how dare Epic use the Unreal Engine to make their own game! Obviously the Unreal Engine was created by god for PUBG and all the time Epic engineers spent creating all the engine features that PUBG uses was actually paid for by Bluehole and Epic has *NO RIGHT* to use their own code!... not many people know that.

Sep 26, 2017, 18:29
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 18:29
Sep 26, 2017, 18:29

This reminds me of H1Z1 and then them releasing KOTH or whatever it was.

Sep 26, 2017, 18:16
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 18:16
Sep 26, 2017, 18:16

Sep 26, 2017, 18:02
Beamer

Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 18:02
Sep 26, 2017, 18:02
 Beamer

But is it a pretty big no no. Again, these aren't commercials, this is devs talking. Do you really not remember people saying they were influenced by System Shock, or Doom, or whatever game?

Sep 26, 2017, 17:41
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 17:41
Sep 26, 2017, 17:41

Sep 26, 2017, 17:27
Beamer

Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 17:27
Sep 26, 2017, 17:27
 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 16:34:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 16:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 10:50:
Game isn't even out of Early Access and it has to rip off another game. Not looking good.

I have to question your thought process. What is wrong with making a feature in your game better than the opposition? That process has been going on for eons. In the end we as players end up benefiting.

How anyone can construe that as bad.....

Fair observation.

You make game A. Game A is in Early access finally after a year or two of being pushed back since it was announced. Game A is in Early Access, so instead of putting all resources into it to get the game shipped, they are putting more resources in a game mode trying to bolster it's sales by 1) copying another games mode, and 2) literally using other games name in marketing to promote your own game.

I have no problem with 1, (except the game needs to ship first), but I do have problems with 2.

But are they? They're saying they were inspired by games like PUBG. They aren't putting out commercials saying "this is PUBG but better."

And, regardless, this isn't new. Again, in the 90s, everyone said "we loved Doom so much we wanted to make a FPS." Or "we loved XCOM so much we made a turn based game." If you go on to Kickstarter damn near every game pitch is "we loved this game and this game so we decided to combine them." How many games described themselves as spiritual successors to System Shock?

Why are you drawing a line here?

Sep 26, 2017, 17:15
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 17:15
Sep 26, 2017, 17:15

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 16:34:
Game isn't even out of Early Access and it has to rip off another game. Not looking good.

I have to question your thought process. What is wrong with making a feature in your game better than the opposition? That process has been going on for eons. In the end we as players end up benefiting.

Fair observation.

You make game A. Game A is in Early access finally after a year or two of being pushed back since it was announced. Game A is in Early Access, so instead of putting all resources into it to get the game shipped, they are putting more resources in a game mode trying to bolster it's sales by 1) copying another games mode, and 2) literally using other games name in marketing to promote your own game.

I have no problem with 1, (except the game needs to ship first), but I do have problems with 2.

wait wait wait... hold the press. YOU actually think Battle Royal was first used in PUBG or that its a unique concept ? There is a reason why its Player Unknown Battle Royale and not just Battle Royale (Movie). The Romans even used a "shrinking" fighting aria in the Colosseum if you really want to go back. This stupid PUBG elitism is getting out of hand.

Sep 26, 2017, 16:34
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 16:34
Sep 26, 2017, 16:34

Fair observation.

Sep 26, 2017, 16:05
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 16:05
Sep 26, 2017, 16:05

Sep 26, 2017, 14:56
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 14:56
Sep 26, 2017, 14:56

The game sold extremely well, so well in fact that it could spend enough resources to add a new game mode on top of the constant new features added the core game.

Sep 26, 2017, 14:43
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 14:43
Sep 26, 2017, 14:43

Yeah, because PUBG didn't borrow ANYTHING from other games, least of all epic.

While their innovation level is pretty low now, Epic helped create the genre and created the tech that allows PUBG to exist.

Fortnight is bleh and this probably wont make a dent.

Sep 26, 2017, 14:05
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 14:05
Sep 26, 2017, 14:05

NKD wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:12:
less accurate weapons makes it a little more intense than PUBG.

Less accurate weapons?! Wow, sign me up! /sarcasm

Sep 26, 2017, 14:01
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 14:01
Sep 26, 2017, 14:01

Frijoles wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:23:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 10:30:
It’s been in the game for a couple weeks now. Maybe they were doing a staggered rollout, and it’s now available for everyone? I still haven’t tried it. It’s not what I got the game for.

I could be wrong, but I believe you had to pay to play by purchasing one of the packs. The Battle Royale is/was released for free now. I think. It'd be a lot easier to figure out if they'd put it on Steam. And until they do (and even after), I don't think PUBG has anything to worry about.

Ahhh. It’s terrible as a cross promotion for Fortnite tho. “Here’s a game that looks like, but plays completely differently from Fortnite!”

Fortnite itself is pretty fun, if a bit repetitive. I do love having to respond on the fly to changes in enemy spawn points. I like the fort building more than the (rather excellent) shooting.

Sep 26, 2017, 12:23
Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 12:23
Sep 26, 2017, 12:23

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 10:30:
It’s been in the game for a couple weeks now. Maybe they were doing a staggered rollout, and it’s now available for everyone? I still haven’t tried it. It’s not what I got the game for.

I could be wrong, but I believe you had to pay to play by purchasing one of the packs. The Battle Royale is/was released for free now. I think. It'd be a lot easier to figure out if they'd put it on Steam. And until they do (and even after), I don't think PUBG has anything to worry about.
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older