Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Legal Briefs

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2017, 18:03 NKD

MrBone wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 18:14:

It sure is easy to forgive when you aren't one of his victims, right? I mean, you could have been blasted by the cops over-reacting, etc. No biggie.

That's why the justice system has you tried by a judge and/or jury, not the victim. If victims were in charge of sentencing, every crime would be punishable by death or mutilation.

You are being watched.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 19:38 panbient

He was 16-17 at the time of the crimes which makes him a minor in the eyes of the law.

Generally speaking the crime has to be pretty heinous and demonstrate callous disregard for life for a minor to be tried as an adult. Odds are had anyone been inadvertently shot as a result of the swatting incidents this would have had a very different outcome.

I guess we'll find out next year if he's really smartened up or just played the good boy card for a gullible judge.

8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 19:02 jdreyer

MrBone wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 18:14:

It sure is easy to forgive when you aren't one of his victims, right? I mean, you could have been blasted by the cops over-reacting, etc. No biggie.

But that is the way all crime is. If it happens to you, you want massive retribution. If you get mugged, you want to cut off the guy's hand. If he rapes your wife, you'd be the first to fashion the nose and kick the chair. But society doesn't function well that way, as evidenced by crime and punishment in Somalia, where they employ that kind of retributive law in many places. Injustices occur daily.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 18:14 MrBone

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:12:
Creston wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 10:55:
Wow. 9 months detention. That'll teach him.

How about at least making him pay for the $10K wasted every time that asswipe swatted somebody? A half a million dollars bill might at least make some idiots think twice in the future. 9 months of detention isn't going to do jack.

Right? They should have charged him with 35 years in prison and $1M fine!

From the article:
Apparently, Ontario Court Justice Mitch Hoffman handed down a lenient sentence in part because of more than 900 hours of volunteer service the accused had performed in recent years.

The Canadian system is a bit different from ours. Judges have more leeway in sentencing, they hand out fewer and shorter sentences, and have a much lower incarceration rate. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, crime is at a 45 year low in Canada.

I'm pretty sure that 9 months in prison for this new husband and father will be a wake up call. Swatting sucks, but longer sentences won't necessarily have a deterrent effect. If 9 months doesn't work, the next time I'm sure the sentence will be much harsher.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 18:12 MrBone

How about at least making him pay for the $10K wasted every time that asswipe swatted somebody? A half a million dollars bill might at least make some idiots think twice in the future. 9 months of detention isn't going to do jack.

For once, I agree with you.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 12:58 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 12:12:
Nah, he woulda probably just committed suicide denying true justice.

God Damn that is still nauseating.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 12:47 Quboid

If he does it again they should throw the book at him but it sounds like he's been sorting himself out. It's the guilty verdict that matters most, these punks aren't planning on getting caught and this sows doubt. Most of them probably wouldn't even dare do it if they thought their mothers would find out...  

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 12:39 NKD

Yeah his arrest was 3 and a half years ago and he's been keeping his nose clean and getting his shit together, so 9 months is probably fine.  

You are being watched.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 12:12 jdreyer

From the article:
Apparently, Ontario Court Justice Mitch Hoffman handed down a lenient sentence in part because of more than 900 hours of volunteer service the accused had performed in recent years.

The Canadian system is a bit different from ours. Judges have more leeway in sentencing, they hand out fewer and shorter sentences, and have a much lower incarceration rate. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, crime is at a 45 year low in Canada.

I'm pretty sure that 9 months in prison for this new husband and father will be a wake up call. Swatting sucks, but longer sentences won't necessarily have a deterrent effect. If 9 months doesn't work, the next time I'm sure the sentence will be much harsher.

Stay a while, and listen.

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 10:55 Creston

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo