Out of the Blue

In preparing to move, we are getting to the bottom of our huge pile of junk, which includes stuff in pretty long-term storage in our basement. This included a joyous rediscovery of all my old softball jerseys, which were misplaced for the longest time. The bad news is they are kind of musty after 17 years in the basement, but I think this will wash out fine. Among them is the shirt I was most upset about when I thought it was lost, my Friends O' Clyde shirt. This may not be immediately familiar, but the team was immortalized on Seinfeld, where they even mentioned one of our actual players, Phil Bender. This is because another of our players was a part-time outfielder named Larry David. I see now that you can get reproductions of these shirts based on the show, so ironically, mine looks less authentic than the fakes. But they are pretty close as it is, as the show used the same shade of Daredevil red for their shirts as we had on the originals. Here's hoping it doesn't fall apart in the wash.

Friends O' Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Leader Strike.
Science: Using Google Street View to help dementia patients with memory loss. Thanks [H]ardOCP via RedEye9.
The shorter your sleep, the shorter your life- the new sleep science. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: "Alternative Math" - The confusing times we live in.
Train Blasts Through Flooded Station, Drenching Everyone.
Primitive Technology: Mud Bricks.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 27, 2017, 16:49
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 16:49
Sep 27, 2017, 16:49

jdreyer wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 14:13:
I'm not picking on your Verno, because what you express is a fairly wide-held view, but I'm curious if not sports, where you think black people should protest. Pro sports is one of the very few places where blacks have both the power and limelight in our society. The Daily Show addressed this last night in a bit called "When is the right time for black people to protest." Watch to the end for a great tribute to Dr. Seuss.
That was beautiful
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Sep 27, 2017, 16:08
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 16:08
Sep 27, 2017, 16:08

I'm not picking on your Verno, because what you express is a fairly wide-held view, but I'm curious if not sports, where you think black people should protest. Pro sports is one of the very few places where blacks have both the power and limelight in our society. The Daily Show addressed this last night in a bit called "When is the right time for black people to protest." Watch to the end for a great tribute to Dr. Seuss.

It could be any sport, black or white dominated. Football is just my personal favorite one. I try to have empathy and hear people out but once in awhile I need an escape from the worlds problems, it's getting to be too much. Particularly when its as nasty and divisive as it was this week.

But that's ok. People have every right to protest and turn the sports world into a political circus (thanks Donald). Just like I have every right to change the channel because they're exasperating me.

Sep 27, 2017, 14:37
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 14:37
Sep 27, 2017, 14:37

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 14:35:
I remember a story more than 10 years ago where someone had invented a helmet with air cushions inside that would deflate on impact, then reinflate after the hit. It drastically reduced the impact on the brain vs. standard helmets. No idea why it wasn't adopted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6yl7zbIz0 another concept bicycle airbag helmets
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Sep 27, 2017, 14:35
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 14:35
Sep 27, 2017, 14:35

I remember a story more than 10 years ago where someone had invented a helmet with air cushions inside that would deflate on impact, then reinflate after the hit. It drastically reduced the impact on the brain vs. standard helmets. No idea why it wasn't adopted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6yl7zbIz0

Sep 27, 2017, 14:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 14:13
Sep 27, 2017, 14:13

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:22:
The Hernandez CTE thing and all of the stupid politics surrounding the sport this year are definitely giving me pause. I'm not interested or receptive to social justice/personal politics in my entertainment hobbies, there are a billion other avenues for that stuff already. I get plenty of stress and "awareness" elsewhere in life, its like a constant bombardment. Football time is just supposed to be football time for me.
As we get more research about the long term health impacts (beyond injuries which were already bad enough) I find the health argument about the NFL resonates more with me.
I feel this will (should have already been?) be addressed with rule and equipment changes. I remember a story more than 10 years ago where someone had invented a helmet with air cushions inside that would deflate on impact, then reinflate after the hit. It drastically reduced the impact on the brain vs. standard helmets. No idea why it wasn't adopted.

If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 27, 2017, 12:39
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 12:39
Sep 27, 2017, 12:39

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 11:23:
Blue, your tales of move preparation only reinforce my personal plan to never move again. Bought this house (along with the bank) 12 years ago and I plan to die in it... barring my winning the lottery that is..

I owned my house for 11 years. Sold and bought this one - and I told the wife several times, never again. This is our forever home. We are adding a 2nd kitchen in the basement (mother in law apartment) and adding a 2nd level above the garage (700 sq feet - couple bedrooms and bathrooms).

We will be here until son graduates high school at which point I will be retiring. Plan on buying a condo in a state to shelter my retirement income (Florida, Texas, South Dakota, Nevada, Alaska, etc), and use this home as a place to take care of family. With the cost of living and health care through the roof - it won't get better (mother in law sold her condo to live with us as her association fees are topping $700!).

I assume my folks and maybe more family will need a place to live - and this will probably be the place. Kind of cool we are reverting to what other cultures and what our country was not to long ago. Big families and multiple generations all in one home. Feels good man.

Sep 27, 2017, 12:32
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 12:32
Sep 27, 2017, 12:32

"Alternative Math" - The confusing times we live in.

Everyone is a snowflake.....great video. (wait for it)

Sep 27, 2017, 11:45
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 11:45
Sep 27, 2017, 11:45

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:22:
The Hernandez CTE thing and all of the stupid politics surrounding the sport this year are definitely giving me pause. I'm not interested or receptive to social justice/personal politics in my entertainment hobbies, there are a billion other avenues for that stuff already. I get plenty of stress and "awareness" elsewhere in life, its like a constant bombardment. Football time is just supposed to be football time for me.

As we get more research about the long term health impacts (beyond injuries which were already bad enough) I find the health argument about the NFL resonates more with me.

It's literally people killing themselves out there. The NFL is spending tens of millions trying to find new helmets and equipment, like the one Luke Kuechly is wearing. That one puts pressure on the jugular to increase the blood supply in the brain to make it swell so that there's less room for it to jostle around.

Think about that for a second.

The solution, to me, is to reduce the helmet, like in rugby. Stop people from going in head first and you stop the main causes of concussions.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 11:13
Sep 27, 2017, 11:13

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:24:
So, don't watch the pre-game. Pretty damn simple. Frankly, I usually mute or turn the channel just before the anthem anyway.

I don't care about the anthem stuff personally, I just think its not a good idea to insert our already divisive everyday politics into the sport. I also get a healthy dose of world injustices I'm supposed to care about already and yes I do choose to care about many of them. Yes you can ignore the pre-game and I am usually getting wings off the smoker then anyway. It's harder to ignore the avalanche of bullshit everywhere else. Hopefully the news cycle on this crap dies down soon.

And no, I don't hate America.

That escalated quickly

Sep 27, 2017, 10:24
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:24
Sep 27, 2017, 10:24

So, don't watch the pre-game. Pretty damn simple. Frankly, I usually mute or turn the channel just before the anthem anyway. And no, I don't hate America.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 27, 2017, 10:22
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:22
Sep 27, 2017, 10:22

Sep 27, 2017, 10:08
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:08
Sep 27, 2017, 10:08

I don't know if you are going to read this or not RoboNerd, but I feel compelled to write it. If you are dropping the NFL due to the protests, I suggest you haven't looked closely at what has happened.

The vast majority of the protesters are not protesting the flag, the anthem, or our troops.

In some cases, like with the Dallas Cowboys, the "protest" happened prior to the anthem. The "protest" consisted of players, coaches, and the owner linking arms and kneeling -- which inexplicably some people boo'ed them for. The protest is to bring attention to some of the inequalities which exist in our society. Now you may or may not have experienced or personally witnessed these inequalities, but have no doubt -- they exist.

Sep 27, 2017, 08:13
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 08:13
Sep 27, 2017, 08:13

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 22:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:57:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:05:
Okay, apologies in advance, but I have to ask.... you are "not spending any more time on the NFL" is because of the player patriot protests?
ftfy

Ah, so it's all Tom Brady's fault. When there's trouble in the NFL it usually leads back to Brady, so that makes sense.
Sure.
The quarterback for the New England Patriots is a good patriot.

Sep 26, 2017, 22:58
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 22:58
Sep 26, 2017, 22:58

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 21:57:
Okay, apologies in advance, but I have to ask.... you are "not spending any more time on the NFL" is because of the player patriot protests?
ftfy

Ah, so it's all Tom Brady's fault. When there's trouble in the NFL it usually leads back to Brady, so that makes sense.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Sep 26, 2017, 21:57
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 21:57
Sep 26, 2017, 21:57

ftfy

Sep 26, 2017, 21:46
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 21:46
Sep 26, 2017, 21:46

RoboNerd wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 20:15:
I have decided to stop participating in the ESPN UPickem/Pigskin Pickem competition. I have had my fill of the brouhaha and will not be spending any more time on the NFL. So from here on that is why you will see goose eggs and my name plummeting to the bottom.

So what you're saying is, you are taking a knee.

Sep 26, 2017, 21:05
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 21:05
Sep 26, 2017, 21:05

RoboNerd wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 20:15:
I have decided to stop participating in the ESPN UPickem/Pigskin Pickem competition. I have had my fill of the brouhaha and will not be spending any more time on the NFL. So from here on that is why you will see goose eggs and my name plummeting to the bottom.
Okay, apologies in advance, but I have to ask.... you are "not spending any more time on the NFL" is because of the player protests?

Sep 26, 2017, 20:15
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 20:15
Sep 26, 2017, 20:15

Sep 26, 2017, 18:50
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 18:50
Sep 26, 2017, 18:50
 Kxmode

This is Star Wars Battlefront 2. The hype is making the Kessel Run in 12-Parsecs! Dance
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Sep 26, 2017, 18:44
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2017, 18:44
Sep 26, 2017, 18:44

jdreyer wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 17:02:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 16:25:
I call bull on that sleep article. It's like meds and everything else in this world. We're all a mixed bag and what effects people one way effects other people another. There's plenty of historical records of people who lived long healthy lives who didn't sleep much or were diurnal sleepers and cat nappers. I'd say the problem is more likely being forced into corporate schedules where for the vast majority of human history you work as you needed and wanted and if you wanted to start early or late or take a nap you just did.
So you're calling bull on the article, but agree with the central premise that we should sleep 8 of every 24 hours? Also, I thought the article made a convincing case that getting enough sleep after the nearly every health aspect, something you can't say about many other things.

Also, as pointed out by the article, the electrification of the night is probably the biggest factor in our lack of sleep.
Cutter does not understand the difference between a few examples of people who lived "long healthy lives without sleep" and the rest of the population.
Something about not being able to see the forest for the trees.
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older