Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 07:36 RedEye9

Nathos wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 23:27:
I think a good trial would be for the Walton family to have their groceries delivered by Walmart customers. Work out the kinks that way, see how that goes...
That scenario will never happen because the Walton's don't shop at Walmart. They already have personal assistants, cooks and many other employees who cater to their every whim.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2017, 10:05.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 01:35 eRe4s3r

Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 19:24:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 17:58:
Cutter wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:49:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 12:32:
The idea is too far ahead of its time. This will be a thing in 20 years when robotic delivery services are more common. People would be much more comfortable having a robot restock the fridge than a human.

I wouldn't trust a robot anymore than I would a person. And besides if it comes to that point you'll be homeless and begging for food, not having robots deliver it. Pretty sure a lot of folks on this board will be elderly in 20 years.
Except that a robot would have to be explicitly progammed to rob you. A poorly paid human wouldn't.

Not sure what you mean by "if it comes to that point." Robotic food delivery would be a good option for the elderly and indigent.

That's what I mean. Look at all the malware in the world. Why on earth would anyone implicitly trust a robot?

You trust your car, no? You ever seen a modern car? Because people already trust robots.... it doesn't take much to push em from car to home delivery.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 00:12 Dirwulf

Nathos wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 23:27:
I think a good trial would be for the Walton family to have their groceries delivered by Walmart customers. Work out the kinks that way, see how that goes...

Oh...right...the family that owns the store...I was all like "John Boy what?"

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 23:27 Nathos

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 19:27 RedEye9

A robot snuck into my house while I was sleeping.
It replaced everything I owned with an exact replica.
I'll never trust them again.

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 19:24 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 17:58:
The idea is too far ahead of its time. This will be a thing in 20 years when robotic delivery services are more common. People would be much more comfortable having a robot restock the fridge than a human.

I wouldn't trust a robot anymore than I would a person. And besides if it comes to that point you'll be homeless and begging for food, not having robots deliver it. Pretty sure a lot of folks on this board will be elderly in 20 years.
Except that a robot would have to be explicitly progammed to rob you. A poorly paid human wouldn't.

Not sure what you mean by "if it comes to that point." Robotic food delivery would be a good option for the elderly and indigent.

That's what I mean. Look at all the malware in the world. Why on earth would anyone implicitly trust a robot?

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 17:58 jdreyer

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 13:56 HorrorScope

I wouldn't trust a robot anymore than I would a person.

That made me giggle. To be honest I have no idea if I would or not at this time.

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 13:49 Cutter

I wouldn't trust a robot anymore than I would a person. And besides if it comes to that point you'll be homeless and begging for food, not having robots deliver it.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 12:44 Saboth

I'd be fine with a self-driving car backing into my driveway and the trunk automatically opens to reveal all of the groceries I ordered. Having Walmart employees rifling through my desk and underwear drawer...not so much.

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 12:32 jdreyer

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Sep 23, 2017, 12:20 RedEye9

Wal-Mart employees casing the joint, what could go wrong.

I know it's not wally world employees fondling your fridge, but still.

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo