Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

Rosh Hashana began at sundown yesterday, so shanah tovah to all who are celebrating the Jewish new year. It's now officially 5778, but I'm pretty sure that for the next couple of weeks I'll still be writing 5777 on my checks.

Running Joke Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Shop Empire Fantasy.
We Do Need Roads.
Story: Doctor goes into labor while delivering patient's baby.
Science: Scientists create world's first 'molecular robot' capable of building molecules. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: Mexico City Earthquake collapses building.
Oyster And Toot-A Bowl Company.
Cute Pup Interrupts Soccer Match, Gives Interview.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Re: Molecular robots Sep 22, 2017, 13:32 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 00:27:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 19:32:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 19:02:
Has science gone too far?

Not until I get warp drive and laser guns. Oh, and hot lady androids.

I just want food replicators. It would feed millions. No child should go to sleep hungry.

Solyent Green is people.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2017, 01:37 bigspender

Just a few thousand years until the Jews are hit wit the Y10K bug on all of their computers. I hope they don't wait until the last minute  

15. Re: Molecular robots Sep 22, 2017, 00:27 Kxmode

I just want food replicators. It would feed millions. No child should go to sleep hungry.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: Molecular robots Sep 21, 2017, 19:51 RedEye9

This place has got all three.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

13. Re: Molecular robots Sep 21, 2017, 19:32 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 18:36:
Creston wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 14:56:
Holy crap. Nanotech is coming!

"To put that size into context, a billion billion of these robots piled on top of each other would still only be the same size as a single grain of salt."

DA FUQ!?!?! Rubeyes

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 19:30 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 19:01:
Task wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 18:41:
snp
It amazes me that so much can be gleaned from only a few episodes.
But who in there right might would want to pass judgement before viewing the whole series.

Yeah. For example, in an interview with Ken Burns he compared Ellesberg to modern leakers like Snowden and Manning. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the series at all.

11. Re: Molecular robots Sep 21, 2017, 19:02 Kxmode

SlimRam wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 18:36:

"To put that size into context, a billion billion of these robots piled on top of each other would still only be the same size as a single grain of salt."

DA FUQ!?!?! Rubeyes

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 19:01 RedEye9

Task wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 18:41:
snp
It amazes me that so much can be gleaned from only a few episodes.
But who in there right might would want to pass judgement before viewing the whole series.
In 'Vietnam War,' Ken Burns Wrestles With The Conflict's Contradictions

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2017, 21:37.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 18:41 Task

It also omits too much for me to take completely seriously, while interesting and does at least 'attempt' to equalize the narrative I had to lower my expectations pretty far. The best critiques I've read so for is Chuck O' Connell's Ideology as History: a Critical Commentary on Burns and Novick’s “The Vietnam War”, John Pilger's The Killing of History and Don North's PBS’ ‘Vietnam War’ Tells Some Truths.

To me it seems people have a romanticized view of the Vietnam War (or even the Korean War, but that's another topic), just out of mind tragedies and overlooked reasons for the Vietnamese will to fight back. The beginning of the very first episode begins with a bold face lie - I completely agree with Pilger that is it rather facetious of the documentary creator to say "we" (as in America) is "searching for an answer to this tragedy" as if America should be pitied for a crime. To this day, when I ask someone what the benefit was of America's involvement in Vietnam I get one of two answers: A. I don't know or B. To protect our freedom. Yes, that fallback phrase of "protecting "America's" freedoms" is still used to this day by many.

America was there to destroy the freedom of other people, working class Vietnamese, because that's what Imperialism is, they did not in anyway threaten the sovereignty of the United States or invade our shores, much like most wars since then have been acts of Aggression by the United States. Vietnamese won their struggle and managed to defeat the French, the Americans, and Chinese - a phenomenal feat. To this day Vietnamese are still born disfigured if the parents were affected by the toxic chemicals dumped over there, a war crime no one was punished for. The derogatory term "Viet Cong" coined by the AVRN and America is still used as well when referring to the National Liberation Front. And not once do they devote the 16 hours of this documentary to mentioning Daniel Ellsberg or any other important whistleblowers - which doesn't surprise me. Not only this, but the complete waste of life involved, sending America's youth, lower and working classes to die pointlessly or come back mentally scarred for life so some Military Contractors could make a buck. And the countless Vietnamese killed.

Basically when viewing it, it only reminds me that this country has learned very little since then and continually terrorizes people around the world like a Racketeering Mafia Gangster. Not even NPR calls out Trump on premeditated War Crime for saying how he will "destroy all of North Korea" which can only be done by killing 25 million people, as if the war crimes the first time around were not enough or we are now trying to one-up Hitler. Martin Luther King's speech in regards to Vietnam is probably is even more poignant now than it was then, when our leaders are willing to spend now yet even more on the Defense Budget on the recently passed bill than on programs of social uplift - we are just fucked totally and morally bankrupt.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2017, 18:55.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

8. Re: Molecular robots Sep 21, 2017, 18:36 SlimRam

DA FUQ!?!?! Rubeyes

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 18:13 Hoop

"Doctor goes into labor while delivering patient's baby"
Oh the doctor was a woman.....yes of course....yes....I get it now.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 17:01 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 15:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 14:33:
Watching "The Vietnam War" is depressing in so many ways.
I haven't watched, but I am recording it. And yeah, I'm expecting some stomach wrenching but not because of the gore of war...
I watched the first episode online. I'm pretty sure the first Fibe are online and heard they are all going to be online in a week or so. You shouldn't have to record it?

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 15:59 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 14:33:
I haven't watched, but I am recording it. And yeah, I'm expecting some stomach wrenching but not because of the gore of war...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Molecular robots Sep 21, 2017, 14:56 Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 14:33 RedEye9

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 11:39 Killer Kane

I like "The Year Of The Rabbit" Chinese New Year one better  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 21, 2017, 11:17 Cutter

Hahaha! Nice one, Blue! You're such a meshuganah goyim!

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo