Fallout 4 Review Fallout

There's been a lot of outcry about the recent launch of the Creation Club for Fallout 4, reviving the issue of paid modifications, in spite of Bethesda's assertion that this is not the case. How bad is the fallout? The game's overall review rating is "mostly positive" based on 65,542 reviews, but the recent reviews rating is "overwhelmingly negative," based on 6,700+ reviews, more than 10% of the total. This helps explain Steam's new plan for displaying review results, which is to help understand situations where games are review-bombed in this manner. Thanks Acleacius.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout
Sep 21, 2017, 14:46
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 21, 2017, 14:46
Sep 21, 2017, 14:46

Orogogus wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:55:
I don't know about review bombs, but a search for Amazon joke reviews on Google turns up a Cracked article dated 2010, and the first three products from that article that I checked still have the joke reviews up. And a search for fake Amazon reviews shows two sites dedicated to identifying botted reviews. It doesn't seem like their system is working that well.

I think if you don't complain, Amazon doesn't unilaterally remove reviews. But if you DO complain, they remove them. I've never had any issues getting Amazon to remove bullshit reviews.

Sep 21, 2017, 07:24
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 21, 2017, 07:24
Sep 21, 2017, 07:24

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 21:24:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:08:
I can't argue about Walmart since I never go there, but Amazon often removes bullshit reviews that have nothing to do with the product in question, or are just bitching about something that is unrelated to the actual operation of the product in question. Product owners can fairly easily get Amazon to look at reviews they think is unfair, and if Amazon's rep agrees, the reviewer (I believe) gets contacted to see if they wish to amend their review, and otherwise said review gets deleted.

I don't know about review bombs, but a search for Amazon joke reviews on Google turns up a Cracked article dated 2010, and the first three products from that article that I checked still have the joke reviews up. And a search for fake Amazon reviews shows two sites dedicated to identifying botted reviews. It doesn't seem like their system is working that well.

Prez wrote:
It's pretty harmless; and definitely seems better to me than aligning yourself with dubious groups like Gamersgate or getting involved with a toothless class action lawsuit that invariably goes nowhere.

It seems to me that dubious groups are the ones that often organize review bombs when there's a political slant, like that Baldur's Gate thing with the trans character.
Pretty sure there's no organizing going on.
If by organizing you mean that they pay monthly dues and have quarterly pot-lucks, then your probably right.
But one post in fuckwit central (aka 4chan - reddit - facebook) just chums the already shark infested water.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 21, 2017, 04:27
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 21, 2017, 04:27
Sep 21, 2017, 04:27

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 00:59:
Ranger55 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 21:21:
There is one major problem with everyone bitching about Creation Club. It in no way prevents you from using other mods. If you don't like it, don't click on it in the menu. I currently have 98 mods loaded via Nexus Mod Manager. None of them are broken. Most are still being actively supported by their creators. Creation Club has had ZERO impact on my ability to play and enjoy a heavily modded Fallout 4.

Yup that is my point. The market will speak. If someone makes something worth money to people, it will probably need to be at very high quality level as they are competing against free content. If someone were to put in that kind of time, I'm cool if they can make a few bucks.

Ahh blind faith in the market. In anticipation of Fallout 4, I restarted a fallout New Vegas game and what a mistake. Fallout 4 felt so dull after playing New Vegas, in spite of all the latest graphics, fancy features and bright colors. If the market could speak we wouldn't be buying Fallout 4.

No subject
Sep 21, 2017, 02:32
No subject Sep 21, 2017, 02:32
Sep 21, 2017, 02:32

NKD wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:34:
Deserved by whom? The developers? Maybe. Or the consumer who is just trying to find honest reviews about a product, not a bunch of fucking spam? And who decides? Some autistic fuckwits on /v/?

Maybe you should be asking the question: "Why are all these people pissed off and being vocal about it. Especially that guy, with 1500 hours played." Instead of thinking it's "some autistic fuckwits."

No no, I understand, it's because it's difficult to figure out why people are pissed off and giving a developer the middle finger. And asking yourself the tough question: "Do I really want to support this bullshit if I'm a customer."
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 21, 2017, 00:59
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 21, 2017, 00:59
Sep 21, 2017, 00:59

Ranger55 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 21:21:
There is one major problem with everyone bitching about Creation Club. It in no way prevents you from using other mods. If you don't like it, don't click on it in the menu. I currently have 98 mods loaded via Nexus Mod Manager. None of them are broken. Most are still being actively supported by their creators. Creation Club has had ZERO impact on my ability to play and enjoy a heavily modded Fallout 4.

Yup that is my point. The market will speak. If someone makes something worth money to people, it will probably need to be at very high quality level as they are competing against free content. If someone were to put in that kind of time, I'm cool if they can make a few bucks.

Sep 20, 2017, 21:24
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 21:24
Sep 20, 2017, 21:24

I can't argue about Walmart since I never go there, but Amazon often removes bullshit reviews that have nothing to do with the product in question, or are just bitching about something that is unrelated to the actual operation of the product in question. Product owners can fairly easily get Amazon to look at reviews they think is unfair, and if Amazon's rep agrees, the reviewer (I believe) gets contacted to see if they wish to amend their review, and otherwise said review gets deleted.

Prez wrote:
It's pretty harmless; and definitely seems better to me than aligning yourself with dubious groups like Gamersgate or getting involved with a toothless class action lawsuit that invariably goes nowhere.

It seems to me that dubious groups are the ones that often organize review bombs when there's a political slant, like that Baldur's Gate thing with the trans character.
Pretty sure there's no organizing going on.
I'm a smoldering volcano of virility. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Sep 20, 2017, 21:21
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 21:21
Sep 20, 2017, 21:21

Sep 20, 2017, 19:02
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 19:02
Sep 20, 2017, 19:02

Prez wrote:

That may be true in some cases, but in the case of Take 2's cease and desist against ModIV and Gearbox's slimy intervention with We Happy Few, it's just good ole fashion gamer rage. And it doesn't involve harassing people, misogyny, or doxxing.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 20, 2017, 18:55
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:55
Sep 20, 2017, 18:55

Prez wrote:

Sep 20, 2017, 18:53
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:53
Sep 20, 2017, 18:53

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 18:40:
It's only a paid mod is the owner wants to sell it right?

If so, what is the argument about? That is how your world has always spinned.

I can't believe someone here is thinking someone should just do something for you for free. You have the right to not be interested in such transaction. All part of the plan.

The way I understand it the mod has to work on all platforms, is scrutinized by Bethesda (no nude skins duh). PC gamers afraid that the decent mods will be watered down due to cross platform requirement but I think there will always be people who want to create mega textures and lots of PC specific stuff.

Sep 20, 2017, 18:40
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:40
Sep 20, 2017, 18:40

It's only a paid mod is the owner wants to sell it right?

If so, what is the argument about? That is how your world has always spinned.

I can't believe someone here is thinking someone should just do something for you for free. You have the right to not be interested in such transaction. All part of the plan.

Sep 20, 2017, 18:36
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:36
Sep 20, 2017, 18:36

I have to admit the concept of review bombing tickles me. Of course it doesn't help the average consumer who is just interested in the game and indeed it could mislead them, but I think the gamers with at least a modicum of wisdom know to take user reviews with a grain of salt anyway. The reason I'm not disgusted with review bombing because it's a way for the gaming community to en masse send a clear message to vile publishers like Gearbox, Take 2, Bethesda, Warner Bro.s Inc, etc. that they are getting tired of their shit. It's pretty harmless; and definitely seems better to me than aligning yourself with dubious groups like Gamersgate or getting involved with a toothless class action lawsuit that invariably goes nowhere.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 20, 2017, 18:08
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:08
Sep 20, 2017, 18:08

Orogogus wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:42:
I feel like you harp on this a lot, but the absolute least amount of work would be what everyone else is doing. Steam's terrible until you use anything else.

Steam also out-earns everyone else by at least a factor of a thousand. They SHOULD be held to a higher standard. I'd also like to point out that review bombs have been an issue for years, and Valve only finally did something (tiny) about it when Bethesda got hit.

The talk of what they should be doing seems like pie in the sky stuff that no one, in or out of the video game industry is doing. What are storefronts like Amazon or Wal-Mart doing to protect review integrity that's not being done here? Well, they have report buttons, but I kind of doubt that will solve anything since Steam customers won't agree on what should be removed.

And it's not as if Amazon is small fry compared to Steam either. Amazon has hundreds of people doing just that: guarding the integrity of their review system.

I guess Valve, because they're Valve, and they once made a great game, doesn't have to do the same, despite the fact that they're the clear market leader.

Again, I don't really care either way, I find Steam reviews to be as useful as a dingleberry. I'm just arguing to get through a boring day at work. But it just baffles me how little effort Valve actually puts into almost anything with Steam. Are they really this lazy?

Sep 20, 2017, 18:00
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 18:00
Sep 20, 2017, 18:00

El Pit wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:27:
Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:11:
Nullity wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:49:
When developers/publishers do something shitty and blatantly anti-consumer that negatively impacts the use of their games and related communities, they should absolutely be called out on it.

How is the existence of the creators' club negatively affecting your use of Fallout 4 and its related communities? Confused

Creston, WOULD YOU KINDLY develop and publish a game on Steam so that I can review-bomb you to give you an appropriate answer to your outrageous question. Just posting my opinion in the Steam community is not good enough to make you understand my point. Thank you in advance for your game that I will review-bomb no matter how good it will be.

What?

Sep 20, 2017, 15:42
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:42
Sep 20, 2017, 15:42

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:10:
I'm just pointing out that Valve took the path of the absolute least amount of work done by them while pretending they made all these glorious changes.

I feel like you harp on this a lot, but the absolute least amount of work would be what everyone else is doing. Steam's terrible until you use anything else. Steam reviews have filters for date, language and other criteria, and there's a counter-comment system. GOG is probably the next most developed storefront, and their most advanced features are an average star rating and a helpfulness rating. The Oculus store is about the same (although it was a lot worse when it launched), and itch.io is worse. Origin and other first parties aren't going to have reviews at all.

For this specific feature, it seems to me that there's already more than the bare minimum. You can click on the bars to see the reviews, and even drag-select a range.

The talk of what they should be doing seems like pie in the sky stuff that no one, in or out of the video game industry is doing. What are storefronts like Amazon or Wal-Mart doing to protect review integrity that's not being done here? Well, they have report buttons, but I kind of doubt that will solve anything since Steam customers won't agree on what should be removed.

Sep 20, 2017, 15:30
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:30
Sep 20, 2017, 15:30

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 14:33:
Let me get this straight: Bethesda makes a recent negative change, so people leave a recent negative review, and the solution is to change the review system?

Yeah, at least this is something related to the game experience, not something someone accidentally said or didn't say on Twitter.

Sep 20, 2017, 15:29
El Pit

Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:29
Sep 20, 2017, 15:29
 El Pit

aka_STEVE wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:20:
Isn't it obvious , we all need to review-bomb STEAM for the way they have reviewed changes to how future review-bombing for a review will be handled.

Deal Wall Trollbashing

I think review-bombing Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and the Half-Life games will result in a total understanding by Valve.

And the release of Half-Life 3.

Which will get review-bombed because of its late release.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 20, 2017, 15:27
El Pit

Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:27
Sep 20, 2017, 15:27
 El Pit

Creston wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:11:
When developers/publishers do something shitty and blatantly anti-consumer that negatively impacts the use of their games and related communities, they should absolutely be called out on it.

How is the existence of the creators' club negatively affecting your use of Fallout 4 and its related communities? Confused

Creston, WOULD YOU KINDLY develop and publish a game on Steam so that I can review-bomb you to give you an appropriate answer to your outrageous question. Just posting my opinion in the Steam community is not good enough to make you understand my point. Thank you in advance for your game that I will review-bomb no matter how good it will be.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 20, 2017, 15:20
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:20
Sep 20, 2017, 15:20

Isn't it obvious , we all need to review-bomb STEAM for the way they have reviewed changes to how future review-bombing for a review will be handled.

Deal Wall Trollbashing

Sep 20, 2017, 15:11
Re: Fallout 4 Review Fallout Sep 20, 2017, 15:11
Sep 20, 2017, 15:11

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older