Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I played a game of Heroes of the Storm on the PTR last night, checking out the Chromie changes. At some point I noticed there was a KidKerrigan on the other team, who is one of the streamers that Battle.net promotes in the client. Sure enough, our match is on Twitch, starting at around the 1:42 mark amid a string of games. This match doesn't make for the greatest viewing, as it is somewhat one-sided. They were a premade on the PTR, and they had a warrior and we didn't. They also actually played the map objectives as an organized team, while we just team fought like the bunch of randos that we were (you can see we even had a chance to push for the win late in the game with them all dead, and just ignored it). It's hard to follow the action from the clip, though, as there's Twitch graffiti covering the kill feed, and she doesn't tend to look around the map. Since she spent lot of the match soloing camps, and when she was dead she'd just look at empty areas, it's just a lot of Samuro(s). So you don't see much of me, and when I'm mentioned in the chat, it's not complimentary: they comment twice on missed skillshots and bitch a couple of times about me going bye bye. So I just want to point out that the scoreboard not shown in the video shows that they ate far more skillshots than they dodged, and they only managed to kill me once in spite of having a stealth assassin on their side (I didn't even choose Timewalker's Pursuit). Just saying.... a guy has his pride, you know.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Death Chase.
Stories: Linda Hamilton Set to Return to 'Terminator' Franchise.
'Mad Pooper' runner keeps defecating on neighbors' sidewalk.
Suspect in Starbucks robbery may sue man who stopped him.
Science: An earthquake early warning system helped Mexico City. Trump's budget would kill it in the US.
The world is running out of antibiotics, WHO says.
Media: Laotian Dam Failure. Damn!
KIDS REACT TO PAYPHONES.
Four years since reporter held pack of paper instead of an iPad.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2017, 18:06 eRe4s3r

Pigeon wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 19:34:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 17:02:
Pigeon wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 15:01:

There is a difference between running around looking for crimes to stop and witnessing a violent crime and attempting to stop it. There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and others. Is it dangerous, yes, but so is rolling over and being a criminal's bitch. I'm not condemning people who don't help, but I think it's stupid to chastise those that do. I would rather not live in a society where you're only allowed to be a helpless victim to the unscrupulous.

Yeah, no. You should let the police handle it.

A woman pulled out her revolver at a Germantown supermarket Monday morning and fired two shots at a man who was robbing her, but she missed her target and instead hit a store security guard, police said

Um, yes.Sometimes they need help too

And from your posted link:
The woman called for store security and dialed 911, police said.

Prater and the woman exchanged words, and then he charged at her with a large stick and tried to hit her, police said.

Prater then threw a cup of hot coffee at the woman, and she drew her revolver and fired twice, authorities said.
So she was actively being physically assaulted when she fired her gun. It was very unfortunate someone else got hurt, but it sounds like she was being attacked by a crazy person and could very well have felt her life was in danger.

Bad shit happens, choices aren't always clear, and the outcome is never guaranteed. That is the reality of the world we live in. So do we punish victims for standing up to the wicked? Are they bad people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to do what they thought was right?

The outcome of drawing a weapon was this though

One bullet is believed to have ricocheted off the ground before it struck the security guard in his right shin, police said.

Either way, It's hard to say how anyone would react in that situation, she tried to stop the criminal and instead hit the security guard. And that is, after all, exactly why most western nations have MUCH stricter gun laws. A good blast of modern CS gas in the face would have stopped the dude just as well. And she wouldn't have missed...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 19:34 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 17:02:

There is a difference between running around looking for crimes to stop and witnessing a violent crime and attempting to stop it. There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and others. Is it dangerous, yes, but so is rolling over and being a criminal's bitch. I'm not condemning people who don't help, but I think it's stupid to chastise those that do. I would rather not live in a society where you're only allowed to be a helpless victim to the unscrupulous.

A woman pulled out her revolver at a Germantown supermarket Monday morning and fired two shots at a man who was robbing her, but she missed her target and instead hit a store security guard, police said

Um, yes.Sometimes they need help too

And from your posted link:
The woman called for store security and dialed 911, police said.

Prater and the woman exchanged words, and then he charged at her with a large stick and tried to hit her, police said.

Prater then threw a cup of hot coffee at the woman, and she drew her revolver and fired twice, authorities said.
So she was actively being physically assaulted when she fired her gun. It was very unfortunate someone else got hurt, but it sounds like she was being attacked by a crazy person and could very well have felt her life was in danger.

Bad shit happens, choices aren't always clear, and the outcome is never guaranteed. That is the reality of the world we live in. So do we punish victims for standing up to the wicked? Are they bad people for being in the wrong place at the wrong time trying to do what they thought was right? Were those two men that got stabbed to death trying to defend those Muslim girls bad people? They got killed, they obviously did the wrong thing right? Perhaps they should have called the police and let that guy do whatever it is he was going to do to those girls. Those people didn't ask to be put in those situations, and I don't think it's right to judge them for how they acted. Help if you can help, run if you can run, piss your pants if you need to piss your pants.

For the record I'm not advocating people go looking for trouble, nor am I saying people should be obligated to help in dangerous circumstances. People should call the police if they can, and I'm sure as hell not advocating for scared paranoid dummies with guns culture.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 19:32 Mr. Tact

Oh brother, they are remaking Tomb Raider. Hollywood has no common sense... but I guess that isn't exactly new information.

Edit: Ahh, I see Blue has a separate news entry for it...

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2017, 19:51.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 19:20 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 17:12:
Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:59:
I seriously doubt the courts will even hear the case. He was stabbed and presumably fighting for his life with an armed robber, there's no such thing as excessive force in such a case. Even if for some insane reason this case was allowed to proceed there isn't a jury in the land that would convict the guy - except some liberal SJW jury I suppose, oh but probably not because the robber was white in this case anyway.

There actually is such a thing as excessive force in self defense, even the castle doctrine.
By his own account to police, Smith was in the basement when he shot Brady twice at the top of the basement stairs, and once in the face fatally after he fell to the bottom of the stairs. Minutes later when Kifer entered the basement, he shot her at the top of the stairs. Wounded, she fell down the stairs, and after Smith's rifle jammed, he shot her multiple times in the chest with a 22-caliber revolver, dragged her across the floor to set her beside the body of her cousin, and then shot her fatally under the chin

He wasn't fighting for his life after being stabbed. That's not even remotely close to a legitimate comparison. It's not in the same ballpark, hell it's not even in the same town.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

18. Mad Pooper Sep 20, 2017, 18:54 eRe4s3r

It's a heroes dooty.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 17:12 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:59:
I seriously doubt the courts will even hear the case. He was stabbed and presumably fighting for his life with an armed robber, there's no such thing as excessive force in such a case. Even if for some insane reason this case was allowed to proceed there isn't a jury in the land that would convict the guy - except some liberal SJW jury I suppose, oh but probably not because the robber was white in this case anyway.

There actually is such a thing as excessive force in self defense, even the castle doctrine.
By his own account to police, Smith was in the basement when he shot Brady twice at the top of the basement stairs, and once in the face fatally after he fell to the bottom of the stairs. Minutes later when Kifer entered the basement, he shot her at the top of the stairs. Wounded, she fell down the stairs, and after Smith's rifle jammed, he shot her multiple times in the chest with a 22-caliber revolver, dragged her across the floor to set her beside the body of her cousin, and then shot her fatally under the chin

Stay a while, and listen.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 17:02 jdreyer

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 14:34:
Primalchrome wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:12:
I'm not sure where you live....but things aren't always that black and white. Taking out your cell and snapping a movie of Optimus Prime robbing the barista isn't really going to do any good. Most burglaries and robberies become nothing more than paperwork for local cops. They don't spend many resources doing anything about it....because it's low percentage, and they don't make any money doing it. So the deterrent factor starts disappearing in some areas. If the local citizenry begin refusing to allow it to happen...you start recapturing some sense of order.

While I can see your argument being somewhat valid(Brazil maybe), I surely don't want 60+ year old people trying to be vigilantes and fighting people in my city, particularly when where I live, EVERYONE has a gun. I literally do not want to be caught in the crossfire. People can't even drive correctly, I don't trust random people to be vigilante crime fighters, armed with a chair or a gun or otherwise.

Take a video/some pictures. You won't feel like quite as much of a hero, but odds of conviction will go way up with more evidence to back up the witness statements. Are the cops in every city/country going to do the work to track that robber down? Obviously not, but that doesn't give people a license to kill, excuse me, detain via multiple stabbings.

That said, the original article is a non story, it's not like the 59 year old guy is going to successfully be sued in court by the robber.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 16:47 jdreyer

Wait, you played a MOBA last night??

Et tu, Bluete?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 15:06 Primalchrome

While I can see your argument being somewhat valid(Brazil maybe)
Right....because here in the US reality is just like the CSI shows people binge on. Actual percentage rates for cops solving crimes like this are in the teens. Admittedly, it's not a problem for most of folks in suburbia...but that's anecdotal.

Take a video/some pictures. You won't feel like quite as much of a hero, but odds of conviction will go way up with more evidence to back up the witness statements.
Right. A nice 4k video of Optimus in all his glory will take the sleuths from a national average of around 17% to a stunning 90% I'm certain. Because the CCTV will miss the closeup of the robber's class ring and football QB engraving. All the cops will have to do is shout "ENHANCE" at the screen to solve this one.

where I live, EVERYONE has a gun.
Sadly...same here. We're on the same page on this one. The open carry bullshit is unbelievable. Cops don't get decent firearms training and when you pile on all the wannabe-Rambos with their open carry, I just can't see how people support this insanity.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 15:01 Pigeon

I'm not sure where you live....but things aren't always that black and white. Taking out your cell and snapping a movie of Optimus Prime robbing the barista isn't really going to do any good. Most burglaries and robberies become nothing more than paperwork for local cops. They don't spend many resources doing anything about it....because it's low percentage, and they don't make any money doing it. So the deterrent factor starts disappearing in some areas. If the local citizenry begin refusing to allow it to happen...you start recapturing some sense of order.

While I can see your argument being somewhat valid(Brazil maybe), I surely don't want 60+ year old people trying to be vigilantes and fighting people in my city, particularly when where I live, EVERYONE has a gun. I literally do not want to be caught in the crossfire. People can't even drive correctly, I don't trust random people to be vigilante crime fighters, armed with a chair or a gun or otherwise.

Take a video/some pictures. You won't feel like quite as much of a hero, but odds of conviction will go way up with more evidence to back up the witness statements. Are the cops in every city/country going to do the work to track that robber down? Obviously not, but that doesn't give people a license to kill, excuse me, detain via multiple stabbings.

That said, the original article is a non story, it's not like the 59 year old guy is going to successfully be sued in court by the robber.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 2017, 15:40.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 14:34 MoreLuckThanSkill

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 13:31 RedEye9

Optimus Prime robbing the barista
I would go ballistic if optimus were to even glance askew at my barista, she is one of the nicest most beautiful creatures on gods green earth. Come to think of it I need my 4 shot Americano.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 13:12 Primalchrome

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 13:03:
Robbery is bad, random civilians murdering(or trying to, via 17 stab wounds) robbers is even worse. Take a fucking photo or movie with your damn phone and call the cops. What if the robber had pulled a gun instead of a knife, and shot everybody in the store? What if the fake gun he had in the first place had been real, and he shot the teller in the face when he got hit with the chair? Idiotic behavior.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 13:09 Pigeon

Cregg Jerri, 58, was that customer, and he intervened in the attempted robbery by hitting Flores with a chair from behind. Flores pulled out a knife and fought back, with the two men wrestling over the weapon. Jerri sustained a stab wound to the neck, but was able to take the knife away, and stab Flores an apparent 17 times during the fight.

lores's mother, Pamela Chimienti, described Jerri's actions as "excessive force" and told KSEE that Flores planned to file a lawsuit.

"The guy, in my opinion, went from a Good Samaritan to a vigilante," Chimienti told the broadcast news station. "Stabbing somebody that many times, it doesn't take that many stab wounds to get somebody to succumb to you."

Mr. Owl, how many stab wounds does it take to get a criminal to succumb?

Let's find out, one, twooo, tthhreee...

Unless the guy was unconscious, or attempting to give up, I'm not buying it (And it sounds like this was anything but the case). When you're using violence or the threat of violence on others, complaints that the tables got turned are going to fall on deaf ears.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 13:03 MoreLuckThanSkill

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 10:33:

The insanity of this could only exist in the USA.. Too bad he didn't kill him.

Tries to rob store, gets stopped, pulls knife, gets disarmed and the guy who stopped him proceeds to stab him.

I don't know about you guys, but I would definitely stab the guy who tried to stab me.

That lawsuit, if one is actually filed(read the article, nothing has actually been given to a court), would be quickly thrown out.

That said, everybody involved in that incident except the cashier is a fucking idiot. You can't randomly attack and try to kill people, without risking getting charged with a crime.

Robbery is bad, random civilians murdering(or trying to, via 17 stab wounds) robbers is even worse. Take a fucking photo or movie with your damn phone and call the cops. What if the robber had pulled a gun instead of a knife, and shot everybody in the store? What if the fake gun he had in the first place had been real, and he shot the teller in the face when he got hit with the chair? Idiotic behavior.

Also, I'm a little disappointed, clearly there were better stories in this post: WHO Antibiotics report, Linda Hamilton is still alive and going back to the Terminator, and a Mad Pooper.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 12:59 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 12:31 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 20, 2017, 12:09:
The insanity of this could only exist in the USA..

Only in California.

Oh God, no. This kind of ludicrous shit is practically a daily occurrence in Holland. There has been a long-standing joke in Holland that the perpetrator of a violent crime will get years and years of financial aid and counseling and help, while the victim of said crime is told to quickly go away and die and to stop being a drain on the health care system.

I guess it was only a matter of time before that idiot-gene made its way over the pond to here.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 12:09 Agent.X7

Tries to rob store, gets stopped, pulls knife, gets disarmed and the guy who stopped him proceeds to stab him.

I don't know about you guys, but I would definitely stab the guy who tried to stab me.

Only in California. Hey man, I used a deadly weapon to commit armed robbery and now I want to sue the guy who stopped me! Mommy and daddy say I'm not a bad man!

Moron is lucky to be alive. I'd have just popped him in the back of the skull and not risked physical injury tackling him. Let's see, automatic defenses to homicide charges: Stopping a felony in progress. Armed robbery? Pretty damned confident that is a felony in all 50 states.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 11:31 swedishfriend

A knife is a deadly weapon and the defender got stabbed in the neck before stabbing the attacker. Even threatening with a knife is legally enough for the defender to kill the attacker in self defense.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2017, 10:33 Tipsy McStagger

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo