Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I suffered a mild scalding this morning, as the Gunnar-man showed me he wanted attention by nudging the arm that's attached to the hand that was holding my coffee mug. I'm actually surprised this is the first time I've suffered such a mishap, since the nose-nudge was a go-to move of Hudson the Wonder dog as well, so I've been fending off such advances for around 17 years now. This was painfully hot, but thankfully not enough to cause an actual burn, and also was thankfully on my belly, not my junk (owie). I'm fully recovered, but it remains to be seen if this causes a stain on my good Avengers pajamas.

Burnt Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Free Flight Sim.
Amaz3d.
Science: Giant Exoplanet Found to Be Almost Completely Black. Related soundtrack.
Media: See Jennifer Lawrence as Femme Fatale in 'Red Sparrow' Clip. Thanks RedEye9.
Blade Runner: Dave Bautista stars in sequel's short film.
The IT Department.
Watch Game of Thrones animated prequel.
Follow-up: The Cassini spacecraft just crashed into Saturn.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Blue's PJs... Sep 17, 2017, 20:54 Ant

I want to see his Avengers PJ.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 22:45 Rigs

Thank you, good to be back!

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 21:46 Mr. Tact

Welcome back to civilization, Rigs.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 21:37 Jivaro

Glad to hear you and yours are all in one piece Rigs  

20. Re: Ark Expansion Announced Sep 15, 2017, 20:33 Creston

Good to see you back, Rigs!  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 20:25  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 18:06:
@Rigs. LOL. Glad you made it through in one piece.

Ditto!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 20:23  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 14:12:
afka Rossini wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 13:59:
Capella wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 12:49:
Creston wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 11:55:
400 years from now, a giant nebula will move towards Federation space. It will be called C'ini.

I do wonder what happened to the Plutonium that was on board. Otherwise what a great space probe it was. Its discoveries will live on for eternity.

Did we just drop a 'dirty bomb' on Saturn?
It was only 72 pounds of plutonium-238 (in the form of plutonium dioxide). It's what powered the radioisotope thermal generator (RTG) that Matt Damon dug up in "The Martian."

Sequel confirmed!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 18:06 jdreyer

@Rigs. LOL. Glad you made it through in one piece.  

Stay a while, and listen.

16. Re: Ark Expansion Announced Sep 15, 2017, 17:32 Rigs

Ummm..hi!

Yes, I'm back, and quite alive. I've actually been around for a couple days via my phone but A: I forgot my pass and 2: I'll be damned if I'm writing a post on that phucking thing! In appreciation of RedEye checking in and reporting my status while I was gone (thank you, sir!), I'll defer from giving him a stroke via 'mini-novel'. Thank you all for your concerns and well wishes, almost brought a tear to the ol' eye.

We were out of power for 63 and a half hours. Not quite double Hurricane Hermine's toll (36 hours) but nowhere near Hurricane Frances (174 hours) and Charley's (115 hours) in 2004. The worst of it came through long before the eye got here, around 2:30am. For about two hours after that, I was waiting for my window to get blown in. The wall next to my bed, which was the northeast facing outside wall, was vibrating quite a bit, to the point that it would shake my bed at times. Laying there, in total darkness, listening to the rumble of the wind and having it shake your bed is...pretty fucking terrifying, to be honest. I'm a weather buff and have been my entire life but this was not something I wanted to be in the middle of at 2:30 in the morning. I didn't fall asleep until almost 6am when it started to die down some, right around when the eye passed us. I won't forget the rumble of the ground before the wind hit the house any time soon. Every time I heard it, I knew a big gust was coming and tensed, thinking this might be the one to blow the roof off or my window or wall in...

Anyway, there wasn't a lot of outright damage around us, just lots of flooding and the closest town to us, High Springs, is still cut off from us unless we go twenty miles down I-75 because the Santa Fe River is over it's banks and the bridge down the road is unstable. In fact, I-75 was close to being closed as well and when I went over the bridge on Thursday midday, the water was right up to the bridge and had flooded the open forest and fields around it. If it rises any higher, which is possible, it'll cut off I-75 and that will be a mess! Other than that and the power outages, there's the occasional downed tree or branch. But really, nothing major.

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 18:18:
Riggs was overheard saying that living with no electricity and flooding was nothing compared to the hardship of twitters 140 character limit.

You have no idea...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2017, 22:53.

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 16:26 RedEye9

Only the sewer that is the tRump administration could say, what the rest of the universe know does not exist, that there is a military option for dealing with North Korea.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:46 Hoop

jdreyer wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 14:25:
The Cassini spacecraft just crashed into Saturn.

Should be an interesting call to the insurance company.
INSURANCE "You have been telling everyone you planned to crash into the Planet"
NASA "No, no we thought we could make it past but it's a big obstacle & with all the shit coming off of it's rings."

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2017, 01:48.

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:41 Cutter

Man, I'm loving those little BR shorts. Goddamn, is Bautista ever big. Look at the neck/traps on the guy! Holy frijoles!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:38 Cutter

400 years from now, a giant nebula will move towards Federation space. It will be called C'ini.

I do wonder what happened to the Plutonium that was on board. Otherwise what a great space probe it was. Its discoveries will live on for eternity.

Well I'm sure Saturn would prefer that to a Dirty Sanchez.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:38 Cutter

SPOCK: I saw C'ini's planet, a planet populated by living machines. Unbelievable technology. C'ini has knowledge that spans this universe. And, yet, with all this pure logic, C'ini is barren, coldóno mystery, no beauty. I should have known.

KIRK: Known? Known what? Spock, what should you have known?

SPOCK: This simple feeling is beyond C'ini comprehension. No meaning, no hope, andóJimóno answers. It's asking questions. Is this all I am? Is there nothing more?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:25 jdreyer

The Cassini spacecraft just crashed into Saturn.

@NASA: Pics, or GTFO.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:24 jdreyer

I suffered a mild scalding this morning, as the Gunnar-man showed me he wanted attention by nudging the arm that's attached to the hand that was holding my coffee mug.

Contigo is your friend. Spillproof.

Added bonus: keeps my coffee warm for the 2-3 hours it takes me to drink it all.

Protip: You can get them at Ross or TJ Maxx for $10.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 14:12 RedEye9

It was only 72 pounds of plutonium-238 (in the form of plutonium dioxide). It's what powered the radioisotope thermal generator (RTG) that Matt Damon dug up in "The Martian."

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 13:59 afka Rossini

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 13:11 Pigeon

It should quickly melt like everything, not sure what the radioactive particles would/will do. I assume nothing, otherwise they would have flung the probe into deep-space.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2017, 13:04 RedEye9

I do wonder what happened to the Plutonium that was on board.
It was safely stowed to be used again on a later mission.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo