Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rocket League Autumn Update This Month

Psyonix announces an Autumn update for Rocket League will launch on September 28th, adding new features and content to the hard-driving sportsball game. Here's the press release, which earns a spot in the bury the lede hall-of-fame by not actually mentioning the title of the game before the boilerplate "about" footer:

Independent video game developer and publisher, Psyonix, announced today the Autumn Update launching on September 28.

The Autumn Update features a ton of new content including:

This update will also debut a new 'Events' system, which introduces limited-time events that provide players with the opportunity to earn additional Battle-Car customizations. Using a new item called the 'Decryptor,' players will be able to unlock any unopened crate in their inventory without having to purchase a Key. Additional information will be provided closer to the launch of the events themselves later this year.

Following the Autumn Update, players will also have the opportunity to help test two major upcoming features. First, is a brand new 'Party' System that PC players can help test during beta periods after the update goes live. Second, is a new 'Tournaments' system that allows players to create and compete in their own tournaments inside the game client. The Party system will launch shortly after the Autumn update goes live, while the Tournaments Beta will follow it later this fall. For more information on the Party System and Tournaments Beta, please go HERE.

For additional details on the Autumn Update please visit the landing page HERE.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Rocket League Autumn Update This Month Sep 13, 2017, 23:02 MisterBenn

After joining the party pretty late, I am hooked on this now. Haven't felt much incentive to chase the season banner rewards though, mostly through preferring casual modes to competitive. People are reliably more easy going in Casual Standard and the most common playing standard is normally silver -> gold which is alright for me.

This week I realised how the reward level system worked and figured I could probably get the Gold one. I played about 10 games in the first session, 9 out of 10 games had continual bitching in them. One of those had a guy on my team that was spamming "Ok..." on each one of our touches that weren't a strong hit upfield. In 2 games of those 10, someone threw a protest and stopped playing properly (one opponent parked in our goal, the other defected and started playing for us while their team was winning.) Fuck that! Assuming my ranks about right I'll win 50% of the time, so I need to play about 50 more games to get the gold banner. I bet there will be non-league banners soon anyhow so I'll still be able to customise.

The patch changes look very good, I'm a bit disappointed at the aggressive standardisation of the arenas too. It's a bit of a condemnation of their like/dislike system that they can't leave the variety in and let people select a preference of what they enjoy playing. You could still enforce standard arenas and higher competitive ranks if you wanted to. At low levels the map layout has very little bearing on the result compared to the chaos of what's going on. Let people have the variety!

Regarding different physics and effects, the only aspect I think should be in is floor friction changes for rain and snow. I think wind would be more punishing than fun! A bit of extra skidding to handle would be enough to make the game feel different and people could adjust to the different styles easily enough.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Rocket League Autumn Update This Month Sep 13, 2017, 16:11 theglaze

So the only variables between competitive matches are:

1. Car selection, but 80% of players pick the Octane anyways
2. Player skill in "normalized" conditions

That's boring! Both as a spectator sport and as a casual player.

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 14:56:
Psyonix doesn't have much choice in light of the feedback they've received.

IMO, the community is rejecting the execution of Psyonix, not the concepts at hand.

2. Re: Rocket League Autumn Update This Month Sep 13, 2017, 14:56 jacobvandy

I think you give real-world variance more credit than it's due... Most of those things probably would be standardized and identical if it were feasible.

Anyway, Psyonix doesn't have much choice in light of the feedback they've received. I don't mind oddly-shaped arenas and have had loads of fun on the wacky experimental maps, but I can see why they're normalizing everything for the default mode of play. You can still elect to play whatever you want by queuing for non-standard modes, and I'm sure they'll continue coming out with new different rulesets and/or unique maps like hockey, basketball, item brawl, and dropshot.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2017, 15:18.

1. Re: Rocket League Autumn Update This Month Sep 13, 2017, 14:20 theglaze

Standardization of Arenas for Competitive and Casual Online play...

• We see Rocket League as a digital sport. As such, we think standardization is important and necessary to provide a level playing field and foster consistent competition across all skill levels and events.

• We introduced non-standard arenas partly to provide variety for pro play, but they have not been embraced. Given the success of RLCS and Rocket League Esports in general, we no longer feel that map variety is needed or appropriate for the competitive scene.

• Rocket Labs showed us that only a narrow set of arena designs would be well-received by the Rocket League community. Even the designs that more closely resembled conventional Arenas (like Octagon and Starbase) have been extremely divisive. Ultimately, the alternate layouts we devised simply didnít add enough strategically to offset the corresponding loss in predictability and muscle memory.

• They've made a mistake here... if they're going to make every arena the same boring ass size and shape, they need to introduce other gameplay elements that spice things up for the players, and force a change in a approach to the match that is about to be had.

In MLB, each stadium has different dimensions to their fields, plus grass consistency and most stadiums are open and susceptible to weather, etc.

In NFL, there is a significant difference in grass/turf consistency, especially as the season changes into the fall/winter and they grounds crew can't repair all the damage made from one weekend to the next.

In NHL, ice quality varies and the boards+glass are not consistent from arena to arena.

In NBA, the hard court is made of different woods and some floors have more give and temperature (if ice is below).

In any racing series (F1, NASCAR, WRC, WEC...), each course has a different layout, tarmac grip, and weather forecast.

Finally, in soccer, the dimensions are the same but once again the pitch grass is different and the weather plays a major role.

Soooo, they need to introduce something like:

+ Wind affecting flight and ball movement
    + Rain affecting car grip on playing surface, walls, etc
    + Air temperature affecting boost combustion
    + Engine or tire degradation to reflect the passage of time (like in OT)

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo