Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

My deck stain is still sitting in its cans, as I sit on my can not applying it to my weathered deck. We had guests for a cookout on Saturday and a party Sunday which threw my plans off. Now the weather is not cooperating. Even though it's beautiful out at the moment, there are sprinkles in the forecast today and thunderstorms tomorrow. This may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not actually looking forward to this chore, so it's okay. It looks like I only have one more day of reprieve, as it looks like my weather excuse will cease to be so cooperatively uncooperative on Friday.

Cooperative Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bazooka and Monster.
Links: Denny's new mascot looks like, well, a turd.
Stories: Hurricane Irma: After deadly storm, millions in Florida could be without power for days and weeks.
A ‘Frightening’ Myth About Sex Offenders. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: 23andMe Is Digging Through Your Data for a Parkinson's Cure.
Coffee vs. climate change: The news is not good.
Media: 30 Days Timelapse at Sea on a Cargo Ship.
DO ELDERS KNOW NETFLIX SHOWS- (REACT- Do They Know It?).
Sneak Level 100.
Follow-up: Star Wars 9 has a new, far, far away release date: December 20, 2019.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2017, 03:41 jdreyer

MeanJim wrote on Sep 14, 2017, 03:33:
Did Windows 10 change its update again? Early yesterday morning it downloaded updates and notified me it would reboot after active hours (which it won't because I've disabled that). I had to go run some errands that afternoon and when I clicked the Start button, Power and selected Sleep, instead it applied updates and shut down. I had a bunch of stuff open, but everything was saved so I didn't lose anything. It was just annoying to have to have to start up and reopen everything the way I had it.

Yeah, mine updated last night. So far, everything still works and I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe my stupid "lose your internet when you put your PC into sleep mode" problem will be fixed.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2017, 03:33 MeanJim

Did Windows 10 change its update again? Early yesterday morning it downloaded updates and notified me it would reboot after active hours (which it won't because I've disabled that). I had to go run some errands that afternoon and when I clicked the Start button, Power and selected Sleep, instead it applied updates and shut down. I had a bunch of stuff open, but everything was saved so I didn't lose anything. It was just annoying to have to have to start up and reopen everything the way I had it.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2017, 00:52 Retired

Anyone else have a gen 1 echo/alexa?

I plugged it in recently and it was obviously forced into an upgrade, as was the app on my phone. Now it is stuck in a loop of trying to reconnect to the internet as well as to my app.....so annoying. Hoping it isn't bricked.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 20:31 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 20:18:
I'd heard the high recidivism percentage before, but didn't know it was incorrect. In my defense, I've never really looked at the issue, if I had, I assume I would have found out. Pure ignorance. On the plus side I'm reasonably certain I never quoted the high percentage, precisely because I had never looked at the issue.

When you hear things like that, it makes you wonder how many things you've heard, but never personally investigated are simply wrong. Probably an uncomfortable portion of them...
That's ok, you were not making Federal Laws based on a magazine article.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 20:18 Mr. Tact

I'd heard the high recidivism percentage before, but didn't know it was incorrect. In my defense, I've never really looked at the issue, if I had, I assume I would have found out. Pure ignorance. On the plus side I'm reasonably certain I never quoted the high percentage, precisely because I had never looked at the issue.

When you hear things like that, it makes you wonder how many things you've heard, but never personally investigated are simply wrong. Probably an uncomfortable portion of them...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 17:55 jdreyer

Sex offenders have a 3-4% recidivism chance, much lower than most other crimes. The registries and restrictions have grown so onerous that it borders on unconstitutional cruel and unusual punishment. Former convicts find it nearly impossible to reintegrate with society given that vast swaths of jobs and locations are off limits to them. It's to the point that one of the mother's whose daughter was killed by a sex offender and who started up one of these registries has switched sides and is now working for the convicts rights.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 17:48 Simon Says

Pretty much resumes most of US policies...

when-junk-science-infects-the-supreme-court

Who needs science when emotions are much better at getting votes?

This appeal to democracy logical fallacy ( argumentum ad populum ) needs to stop... badly! One's ignorance is NEVER worth another's wisdom/knowledge.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 17:33 NKD

ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 12:51:
If your 6 year old child was raped by an adult how would you feel about their rights post sentencing? Let's set aside all of the virtue signaling on Blues and get right down to it...who would be good with their child's rapist getting a nice cushy job in an elementary school after they get out of prison?

The government's job with regards to the justice system isn't to hand out vengeance, it's to protect the rest of us. If possible, also to rehabilitate criminals into productive members of society instead of prisoners who just siphon money out.

If you want vengeance, you need to do it yourself and take the consequences.

You blast "virtue signalling" but virtue signalling precisely why we have a sex offender registry. Politicians trying to out-do each other with "think of the children" bullshit trying to look like the most virtuous pieces of shit to ever live.

There are more dangerous criminals, more likely to reoffend, and less able to be rehabilitated, who get shorter sentences, and don't have to register on any list.

We can't run our justice system on emotion, or create laws based on the feelings of angry victims.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 14:32 jdreyer

El Pit wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:49:
Official title for Star Wars Episode IX has just been confirmed:

Star Wars - Episode IX: Return of the Jar Jar

Written & directed by Jar Jar Abrams

Can't wait for it... NOT!

"Meesa your humble director!"

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 13:39 mellis

If your 6 year old child was raped by an adult how would you feel about their rights post sentencing? Let's set aside all of the virtue signaling on Blues and get right down to it...who would be good with their child's rapist getting a nice cushy job in an elementary school after they get out of prison?

If your X year old child was [raped/murdered/killed by a drunk driver/killed by corporate negligence/{insert crime here}] [...]

You could apply that argument to the family/friends of the victim of any crime. Of course they're going to be biased towards vengeance rather than justice. Still, Americans are good at that. Stick to what you know I guess...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 13:33 RedEye9

Even 1% is too high so not sure what the point of the article is (full disclosure I only watch half of it). Are they saying the harsh laws enacted shouldn't be so harsh because the actual rate is half of 80%? a tenth?
It's actually less than 1/25th.
The 80% figure that politicians love to tout and use to incite fear was based on a magazine article. Even its author was appalled that laws at the Federal level were based on an article in Psychology Today and it was never his intent.
But do continue with your straw man.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 12:51 ledhead1969

"A ‘Frightening’ Myth About Sex Offenders"

Even 1% is too high so not sure what the point of the article is (full disclosure I only watch half of it). Are they saying the harsh laws enacted shouldn't be so harsh because the actual rate is half of 80%? a tenth?

This is all well and good from a third-party perspective (good for thee, not for me) so let me put it this way:

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 12:29  Blue 

Kalthorn wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 12:19:
Blue wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:04:
Kalthorn wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:48:
What's your preferred brand or mix?

Behr - Padre Brown.

Is there any particular reason? Out of all the samples I tried, Behr was the one I liked the least. The way it looked and applied, it seemed almost like colored glue and dried as a film with little to no penetration of the wood. I'm pretty new to this though so I don't have much to compare to.

You are likely right, but, oddly, that's the reason we're going this way. We had a guy who applied a coat of this stuff a few years ago, and it wore poorly. But since we are just trying to tidy things up to sell, we're doing what will match if anything shows through. All the other work we've done to get ready to sell was pretty thorough, but the deck is in its golden years, but we're not going to replace or renovate it, so we aren't going to put too much effort into something that will just be replaced or renovated by the new owners. We just need it to stop looking like total ass.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 12:19 Kalthorn

Blue wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 11:04:

Behr - Padre Brown.

Is there any particular reason? Out of all the samples I tried, Behr was the one I liked the least. The way it looked and applied, it seemed almost like colored glue and dried as a film with little to no penetration of the wood. I'm pretty new to this though so I don't have much to compare to.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 11:49 El Pit

Official title for Star Wars Episode IX has just been confirmed:

Star Wars - Episode IX: Return of the Jar Jar

Written & directed by Jar Jar Abrams

Can't wait for it... NOT!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 11:39 RedEye9

Denny's new mascot looks too firm to be the byproduct of one of their breakfasts.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 11:15 RedEye9

The coffee article is terrifying. What is this climate change thing they speak of?

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 11:04  Blue 

I'm in the same situation regarding deck stain. Here in the Northwest we go from too hot to apply (at least according to the 90 degrees listed on the can) to pouring rain. After waiting for a month, it looks like I finally have a window this week.

Behr - Padre Brown.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 10:48 Kalthorn

I'm in the same situation regarding deck stain. Here in the Northwest we go from too hot to apply (at least according to the 90 degrees listed on the can) to pouring rain. After waiting for a month, it looks like I finally have a window this week.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo