Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 13, 2017, 10:00 Cutter

I count the times over the years that whenever I've had a problem that all you get is a 'just because' answer, or a flat out 'I don't know.' And I could accept that - doctors aren't wizards - but there's not even the inclination to understand or get to the root of the problem.
My BP is high? Why? 'I don't know it just is.' Really? That's the best you can come up with after 12 years of learning and X number of years practicing? You'll never have a problem of an AI being tired or lazy or ignorant. Imagine a virtual doctor who can draw on ALL possibilities and knowledge to cross-reference them against your issues, genetics, etc. Yeah, I'll buy that for a dollar.

Edit: Oh yeah, and cost effectiveness. It'll be a - virtually - free diagnostic tool to boot. No more worries if you have insurance or not because all you need is access to computer.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 13, 2017, 09:22 Beamer

yuastnav wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 02:58:
Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 22:27:
This is one area where AI could be a real boon. This can't come soon enough. There are just far too many lazy doctors out there who don't put the effort in. Never a problem for an AI.

Uhm where exactly did you get this insight? Most hospitals I know are always understaffed and it is therefore a little difficult to believe that doctors are lazy.

Yup.

Doctors are not putting in enough effort with individual patients, but not due to being lazy. It's the result of the insurance system and how much they get paid per patient. General practitioners get paid next to nothing per patient, and therefore need to assembly-line their way through. It's why, in the 1970s, being a general practitioner was the most common goal of med students and had a high level of job satisfaction, and today is one of the least common goals and has the lowest job satisfaction of MDs. That low job satisfaction is because they know they aren't putting in the effort they'd like and the patient needs, but their hands are tied by insurance and billing.

Which compounds the issue, too, as fewer people becoming GPs mean fewer GPs meaning more demand for GPs meaning more rushed visits.

Back when I was far more conservative, I did a lengthy research paper on the legality of a two-tiered medical system, where GPs can leave insurance behind and work for the highest bidders. I sympathized with the doctors, who hated life because they couldn't give the level of care they felt was deserved. I still do, but I don't think having them leave and work solely for the rich is the answer. With much of the issues in the US, I blame insurance companies.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 04:37 Tom

I think you know exactly where he got that insight...  

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 13, 2017, 02:58 yuastnav

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 22:27:
This is one area where AI could be a real boon. This can't come soon enough. There are just far too many lazy doctors out there who don't put the effort in. Never a problem for an AI.

Uhm where exactly did you get this insight? Most hospitals I know are always understaffed and it is therefore a little difficult to believe that doctors are lazy.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 12, 2017, 22:27 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo