Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 14:43 Nullity

Bodolza wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 14:21:
If you have to rely on as-yet-unwritten movies in the future in order for your movie to make sense, then you've created a bad movie.

This post pretty-much sums up my feelings in a better way than I could express: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78534#comment-3514804812

For many movies, I'd agree. But from the beginning, this was planned and communicated as a 3-part story. It makes sense that some things wouldn't be revealed until later.

I get that some people have certain issues with the movie, that's fine, so do I - I'm not one of those weirdos that think everyone has to like everything I like. But given the context, this one just seems like hipster nit-picking.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 14:21 Bodolza

If you have to rely on as-yet-unwritten movies in the future in order for your movie to make sense, then you've created a bad movie.

This post pretty-much sums up my feelings in a better way than I could express: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78534#comment-3514804812

16. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 12:33 Nullity

Watter wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 09:39:
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to my shallow entertainments, and I thought TFA was decent, but I was quite bothered by the accelerated development of Rey's abilities. We have a template for Jedi training already, and in the course of hours/days she's able to defeat an admittedly slightly weakened but highly trained and skilled sith? Again, I'm forgiving. Give me a BS made up reason why she's so awesome. I'm willing to go with it, but we didn't get anything like that.

I've heard this argument quite a bit ever since TFA was released, and while everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether they enjoyed the movie, I feel this is a bad justification.

The fact is, we don't know anything about Rey's past yet, and there were clues in the movie that she may have already had Jedi training when she was young, but just doesn't remember. We knew from the start it was going to be another trilogy, so naturally we wouldn't be getting all the info in the first movie. Just wait for episodes 8 & 9, I have a feeling it'll all make sense.

Personally I thought TFA was a lot of good fun. Of course it wasn't perfect, and the "yet another Death Star" story is a bit tired at this point, but after the awful prequels, I think it was exactly what the series needed - something familiar that sets up new characters and stories.

15. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 10:03 Cutter

He already shat all over Star Trek so he may as well add Star Wars to the list. Though to be fair, SW is mostly tripe anyway.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

14. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 09:39 Watter

Pigeon wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 08:43:
I enjoyed TFA, it had some obvious problems, but mostly it was good;
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to my shallow entertainments, and I thought TFA was decent, but I was quite bothered by the accelerated development of Rey's abilities. We have a template for Jedi training already, and in the course of hours/days she's able to defeat an admittedly slightly weakened but highly trained and skilled sith? Again, I'm forgiving. Give me a BS made up reason why she's so awesome. I'm willing to go with it, but we didn't get anything like that.

13. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 08:43 Pigeon

I enjoyed TFA, it had some obvious problems, but mostly it was good; characters were likeable and had relatively clear motivations. The prequels were complete trash. The backbone of a good story may have been there, but the execution missed almost all of the marks. And most importantly the main character was thoroughly unlikeable, and not in a good way. ‘You’re right creepy prune guy, nobody appreciates me, and um… I don’t like sand. Gonna go murder some kids and my pregnant wife now, kthxbai.’ Honestly the clone wars cartoons handled the development of Anakin way better than the movies ever did.  

12. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 08:42 Verno

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 22:53:
WOO HOO!!!

Can't wait for Return of the Return of the Jedi.

Yeah it sounds like they are going to play it safe again when risk would've been appreciated a lot more. I found TFA very average at best, the fan service was great and everything else was humdrum.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

11. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 08:05 Beamer

Spektr wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 07:37:
Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 07:30:
and though I'm not really a star wars fan tfa didn't. May have been familiar, but didn't suck.

Ah you're not a star wars fan, that might explain why you don't think tfa sucked. It's probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

And you are a Star Wars fan, which means you probably have 40 years of pent-up nostalgia combined with a somewhat weird feeling over ownership over the IP which makes you utterly incapable of separating the actual quality of the film from your own wholly unreasonable and unrealistic expectations of what the film should be.

I mean, you've almost definitely seen all three prequels, yet you're singling out TFA.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 07:37 Spektr

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 07:30:
and though I'm not really a star wars fan tfa didn't. May have been familiar, but didn't suck.

Ah you're not a star wars fan, that might explain why you don't think tfa sucked. It's probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

9. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 07:30 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 01:27:
WOO HOO!!!

You were going to get that regardless: remember that Trevorrow directed Jurassic World, which was just as much of a soft reboot as TFA.

I mean, jurassic world kind of sucked, and though I'm not really a star wars fan tfa didn't. May have been familiar, but didn't suck.

And being familiar was both LucasArts' intention/choice, and planned just for the first film, to bring viewers back after the disaster of the prequels. No reason to expect it again.

LucasArts and Kennedy don't give directors much flexibility. And jj didn't do much lensflare. That joke is kind of tired, too

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 06:47 The Half Elf

El Pit wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 01:35:
The Ewoks are "Porgs" this time and look like penguins with huge baby eyes.

Star Wars ended in 1983.

But if Sphero makes a Porg I AM SO GONNA BUY ONE... IT'S SO CUUUUUUUTE!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

7. Re: Into the Black Sep 13, 2017, 01:35 El Pit

The Ewoks are "Porgs" this time and look like penguins with huge baby eyes.

Star Wars ended in 1983.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

6. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 01:27 jdreyer

WOO HOO!!!

You were going to get that regardless: remember that Trevorrow directed Jurassic World, which was just as much of a soft reboot as TFA.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 13, 2017, 01:24 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 23:53:
I might have missed it but anyone heard anything from Rigs?
I think Redeye posted something in Out of the Blue. Doing fine, but no power, IIRC.

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 12, 2017, 23:53 The Half Elf

I might have missed it but anyone heard anything from Rigs?  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

3. Re: J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 12, 2017, 22:53 UttiniDaKilrJawa

WOO HOO!!!

2. J.J. Abrams to Direct ‘Star Wars- Episode IX,’ Replacing Trevorrow. Sep 12, 2017, 22:39 SlimRam

"The Lens Flare is strong with this one."  

1. Re: Into the Black Sep 12, 2017, 21:04 RedEye9

Blue wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 20:11:
So... Ewoks?
No... Jar Jar Binks

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo