Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

Monologue: I Am a Successful Streamer and I Believe Racial Slurs Are Essential to Gaming - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency (Satirical).
"Gamers such as myself often come across heated, high-stress gaming moments. Sometimes, I’ll be leaning back in my padded gaming chair playing Call of Duty and a player on the opposing side will shoot me. This is a perfect time to state something racist with impunity. I am angry at being shot by the other player. I of course don’t mean the racist comment in a hateful way. I’m simply using racist language to publicly express my frustration at being killed in a fictional game that doesn’t matter at all. In these moments, gamers should not be held to the standards of a civil society. It’s not like I say racist stuff outside of gaming. Just because I constantly make racist comments on video does not mean I make racist comments off-camera. I am able to stop being racist once the live stream is over."

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

19. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:11 Creston

Flatline wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:55:
Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:25:
Just because I constantly make racist comments on video does not mean I make racist comments off-camera. I am able to stop being racist once the live stream is over.

I'll take "Bullshit" for $500, Alex.

How about you say "fucker" or "shithead" or "asshole" or "dickwaffle" instead of something racist?

Someone missed that McSweeney's is satire.

Yeah, never heard of it/him before, and can't read the article at work. Eh. :-shrug-:

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:10 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:
OR, you know, people can't read the article because their work blocks it.

No need to read the article. Blue put "(Satirical)" right after the article title. You missed that I guess?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

17. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:07 Primalchrome

The article is amusing satire....but it's equally amusing how the US mainstream will say 'fuck' but cringe and whisper 'the n-word'. It's a silly and childish over reaction for adults. Keyword : adults. Pewdepie is a shitheel. He's not like Elvis...more like Stern. What he's doing is not art, it's simple base shock entertainment. Even Beavis & Butthead had some social commentary built into it....

All that said, Pewdipie's target audience is kids...and this is an ongoing issue. Every advertiser should be showing some kind of ethical concern and pulling out. Any broadcasting medium should be requiring regular disclaimers on his stream. ...and parents should be paying a little more attention to what their kids are watching.

16. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:01 Flatline

MT Silver wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:04:
He makes people laugh. Obviously not you but certainly millions of others. Whether you like it or not, he's beloved.
I'd go as far as to say that he's this generation's equivalent of Elvis Presley. Just like Elvis and other youth icons, PDP is attacked by older members of society who don't understand or appreciate his contribution to culture.
Personally I don't enjoy his content either but part of being an adult is accepting that not everything in the world is meant for you.

LMFAO he's this generation's Elvis? So in 60+ years significant numbers of people will still watch his streams and find them relevant and talented? Please. That has to be the silliest thing I've seen in a long time.

And I know that not everything in the world is meant for me dude so you can take your sanctimonious judgement and shove it. But there's tons of other people out there who make people laugh through talent and hard work way more than some dude playing videogames while talking shit and they aren't pulling down 15 million a year. It's not the individual that doesn't make sense to me, it's the market model. I seriously question if advertisers are getting their money's worth.

15. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:57 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:

Or get around it by using google translate

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

14. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:55 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:25:
Just because I constantly make racist comments on video does not mean I make racist comments off-camera. I am able to stop being racist once the live stream is over.

How about you say "fucker" or "shithead" or "asshole" or "dickwaffle" instead of something racist?

Someone missed that McSweeney's is satire.

13. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:47 Creston

12. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:32 HoSpanky

None of you read the article. It's a comedy piece. See that bit there Blue put in (Satire)? You ARE the Facebook crowd, getting bent out of shape because you're too lazy to pay attention.  

11. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:25 Creston

10. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:09 Slashman

No one is saying (at least I don't think they are) to convict him of a crime. But pulling all his sponsorship and support from the big companies that help prop him up? Sure!

He can freely say what the hell he wants, but he shouldn't expect to be respected for it. Especially when all it is is a man-boy trying to act cool on the internet by getting 'edgy' with racial slurs. What the hell are you thinking when your viewership is primarily made up of children?

9. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 12:04 MT Silver

Flatline wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 11:48:
Nah. I'm a pretty big free speech guy but I do find it interesting in the discrepancy between broadcasting over the internet and broadcasting over terrestrial airwaves in the US. I get that it's basically the difference between network and cable but still it is an interesting difference.

I don't get what he does makes him worth 15 million a year. But then again a lot of today's internet celebrities make zero sense to me.
He makes people laugh. Obviously not you but certainly millions of others. Whether you like it or not, he's beloved.
I'd go as far as to say that he's this generation's equivalent of Elvis Presley. Just like Elvis and other youth icons, PDP is attacked by older members of society who don't understand or appreciate his contribution to culture.
Personally I don't enjoy his content either but part of being an adult is accepting that not everything in the world is meant for you.

8. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:55 VaranDragon

I think free speech should be sacroscant. Censorship has only done more evil than good whenever it was used, just open any history book and take a looksee.

With that said, a line should be drawn somewhere. Even if it is a line in the sand. I am firmly of the belief that inducing people to hate-crimes should be punishable by law. People using racial slurs are assholes, but are they criminals? That is something that should only be judged on a case by case basis, in a court of law. We need laws against hate speech, specific laws, with clearly outlined definitions of what exactly constitues the crime in question. This would work much better than any arbitrary censorship so that even when using particularly careful language, without using any slurs (which would defeat censorship), you can prosecute hate speech.

Basically what Im saying is, you should be able to say anything you like without fear of being censored, just be prepared to face consequences when you go too far.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2017, 12:14.

7. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:48 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 11:38:
Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 11:35:
Sure we could just leave him alone, but then he's teaching a generation of kids how to be assholes.

Then we'll end up complaining about how kids these days are total assholes. Who taught them that...?

So like Radio, Elvis, Dungeons and Dragons, Video Games, Bevis and Butthead, First Person Shooters, we are now going to pin everything on him for this generation?

Nah. I'm a pretty big free speech guy but I do find it interesting in the discrepancy between broadcasting over the internet and broadcasting over terrestrial airwaves in the US. I get that it's basically the difference between network and cable but still it is an interesting difference.

I don't get what he does makes him worth 15 million a year. But then again a lot of today's internet celebrities make zero sense to me.

6. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:42 raVen

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 11:38:
Sure we could just leave him alone, but then he's teaching a generation of kids how to be assholes.

Then we'll end up complaining about how kids these days are total assholes. Who taught them that...?

So like Radio, Elvis, Dungeons and Dragons, Video Games, Bevis and Butthead, First Person Shooters, we are now going to pin everything on him for this generation?

Except with Radio FCC intervenes, D&D is fairly local, Video Games have ratings boards, Beavis and Butthead deal with FCC or cable broadcast rules, FPS deal with ratings boards.

In a day when even the president of the USA isn't accountable for his words (or seemingly actions), we need to start holding people more accountable for what they say and do. Don't blame the messenger, Blame Trump.

5. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:38 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

4. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:35 Slashman

3. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:31 Beamer

At the same time, if you don't like opioids don't take them?

If you don't like drunk driving don't do it?

If you don't like trump don't vote for him or watch him?

Pdps audience base is 12, and he makes millions from advertisers. This is why he's news.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 11:15 The Half Elf

And here's the thing. If ya don't like it then don't watch him. I personally can't fucking stand him.  

1. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 10:55 raVen

Just because you yell fire in a theater in a way you think is non-threatening or hurtful you still are tied to the consequences of your actions.  

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >