Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

Monologue: I Am a Successful Streamer and I Believe Racial Slurs Are Essential to Gaming - McSweeney’s Internet Tendency (Satirical).
"Gamers such as myself often come across heated, high-stress gaming moments. Sometimes, I’ll be leaning back in my padded gaming chair playing Call of Duty and a player on the opposing side will shoot me. This is a perfect time to state something racist with impunity. I am angry at being shot by the other player. I of course don’t mean the racist comment in a hateful way. I’m simply using racist language to publicly express my frustration at being killed in a fictional game that doesn’t matter at all. In these moments, gamers should not be held to the standards of a civil society. It’s not like I say racist stuff outside of gaming. Just because I constantly make racist comments on video does not mean I make racist comments off-camera. I am able to stop being racist once the live stream is over."

View
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

39. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 12, 2017, 18:28 {PH}88fingers

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 18:14:
Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 18:08:
Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:41:
The problem isn't the casual racism it's the SJWs with their massive overreactions to it. Even when people are simply accused of something they lose their shit. Look at that story a few weeks back where that asshole on Twitter who felt it was his personal mission to "out" racists they ended up blaming an innocent man. They were calling his house and making death threats to his wife and kids FFS! And these assholes aren't even a minority! They are just look for reasons to go off and they don't care who gets hurt or how extreme their overreactions are and that makes them way more dangerous and way worse than the so-called bigots and racists they're opposing. Hitch up your fucking panties and stop throwing hissy fits over every little thing - especially when it doesn't even apply to you. Fuck, go end poverty or something actually worthwhile.

You tell em Cutter. Most people these days don't even understand how harmless casual racism is. At least compared to the ultra-hardcore kind.

Hell I didn't even know what the hell casual racism was until you made it clear. And I sure as hell don't know what offends me. I've only been black for like 42 years or so. Totally need a clear-headed white person to sort out my thoughts for me.

But while we're on the subject, you wanna explain to me why the 'casual racists' (especially the ones raking in millions) need defending while the 'more serious racists' need condemning?

Hey buddy, listen, the problem isn't people being racist, it's people calling people racist. That's where the real harm is. Words are just words, unless they're aimed at a white guy like cutter, then they're seriously offensive.

amen

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 18:14 Beamer

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 18:08:
The problem isn't the casual racism it's the SJWs with their massive overreactions to it. Even when people are simply accused of something they lose their shit. Look at that story a few weeks back where that asshole on Twitter who felt it was his personal mission to "out" racists they ended up blaming an innocent man. They were calling his house and making death threats to his wife and kids FFS! And these assholes aren't even a minority! They are just look for reasons to go off and they don't care who gets hurt or how extreme their overreactions are and that makes them way more dangerous and way worse than the so-called bigots and racists they're opposing. Hitch up your fucking panties and stop throwing hissy fits over every little thing - especially when it doesn't even apply to you. Fuck, go end poverty or something actually worthwhile.

You tell em Cutter. Most people these days don't even understand how harmless casual racism is. At least compared to the ultra-hardcore kind.

Hell I didn't even know what the hell casual racism was until you made it clear. And I sure as hell don't know what offends me. I've only been black for like 42 years or so. Totally need a clear-headed white person to sort out my thoughts for me.

But while we're on the subject, you wanna explain to me why the 'casual racists' (especially the ones raking in millions) need defending while the 'more serious racists' need condemning?

Hey buddy, listen, the problem isn't people being racist, it's people calling people racist. That's where the real harm is. Words are just words, unless they're aimed at a white guy like cutter, then they're seriously offensive.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 18:12 Quboid

HoSpanky wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 17:27:
Quboid wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 14:19:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 13:40:
HoSpanky wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:32:
None of you read the article. It's a comedy piece. See that bit there Blue put in (Satire)? You ARE the Facebook crowd, getting bent out of shape because you're too lazy to pay attention.

Or we did read the article and regardless of its satire (or perhaps because of it) it poses interesting questions that maybe should be discussed?

Nearly everyone was talking about PewDiePie, the person being satirised. I think HoSpanky was too lazy to pay attention.

When did I say it wasn't about PDP? Literally every post prior to my first one was about how dumb/wrong the author was, zero of those people read the article before posting, which is Facebook thinking. "I know all I need to from the article title, which I didn't read very clearly". PewDiePie was absolutely the intended "writer" for that article.

You weren't paying attention to the comments, nearly all of which were about PewDiePie. Beamer and MT Silver referred to "Pdp" and Flatline mentioned making 15 million a year. Half Elf can't stand "him", that's surely not referring to a random author who isn't even named in the blurb. Slashman mentions pulled sponsorship, again that's not about Bob Vulfov. VaranDragon and raVen aren't talking about any specific person.

36. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 18:08 Slashman

35. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 18:02 Task

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:05:
play xbox call of duty..hear some 13 year old saying "Nigger nigger nigger" over and over again for the entire match.. (One of the reasons I actually hate Consoles online)

Streamer says it.. whole world loses it mind!

^^joke.

Joke or not, its true that people say it among different groups. White people use the word to, at least white kids say "n-faggot" to each other. Words are an interesting subject to me, since they mean different things to different people, across groups and culture, and often change or lose meaning over time. The whole world isn't losing its mind over this, probably just the U.S. where that word has some not cool history. "Gay" meant something completely different than what it does now for example.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

34. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 17:27 HoSpanky

Quboid wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 14:19:
None of you read the article. It's a comedy piece. See that bit there Blue put in (Satire)? You ARE the Facebook crowd, getting bent out of shape because you're too lazy to pay attention.

Or we did read the article and regardless of its satire (or perhaps because of it) it poses interesting questions that maybe should be discussed?

Nearly everyone was talking about PewDiePie, the person being satirised. I think HoSpanky was too lazy to pay attention.

When did I say it wasn't about PDP? Literally every post prior to my first one was about how dumb/wrong the author was, zero of those people read the article before posting, which is Facebook thinking. "I know all I need to from the article title, which I didn't read very clearly". PewDiePie was absolutely the intended "writer" for that article.

Anyway, it's back to the whole Spider-Man catchphrase. People who have a lot of influence really, REALLY need to realize that everything they do can and will be imitated by the kids who adore them. These people need to hold themselves to a higher standard. Fame always comes with that, and these shitheels don't want to change themselves at all despite being role models. I'm lumping professional atheletes in with streamers here, btw. Both behave badly FAR more than they ought to.

33. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 15:42 Burrito of Peace

Back when I worked in gaming, I used to have a sign up in my office: "It's not a good day on the Internet unless both my race and my sexuality have been called in to question."

That still holds true, so many years later. "Faggot nigger" or "Nigger faggot" is probably what I have heard most. People like that loser PewDiePie pander to that crowd and exacerbate the issue.

Does he have a right to speak as he wishes? Well...sorta. "Hate speech" legislation does come in to effect although clearly not prosecuted. He's lost sponsorship but that doesn't truly matter as he has enough of a base to establish a new monetization scheme.

Honestly, PewDiePie needs to be called what he is; a neo nazi. He has clearly defined episodes of anti-semitism and racism. The only thing missing is his take on The Fourteen Words.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

32. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 15:41 Cutter

31. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 15:05 Tipsy McStagger

play xbox call of duty..hear some 13 year old saying "Nigger nigger nigger" over and over again for the entire match.. (One of the reasons I actually hate Consoles online)

Streamer says it.. whole world loses it mind!

^^joke.

Either way, just like in normal business you can't say whatever you feel like and not get consequences. His business is making money streaming video games and that goes with you can't say certain things without consequences.

Ultimately, even if there's massive fallout, he'll still be a very rich idiot.

30. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 14:52 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 14:40:
I mean, I don't get how this is a free speech issue, or why people are bringing free speech up. Guy says something dumb. People call him dumb. Corporations who pay him to represent them stop paying him to represent them as they don't want to be associated with someone dumb in that particular way.

No one stops him from being dumb, from saying dumb things, or from doing what he wants. People just step back from their association with him because they don't want to be associated with that.

It's a free speech issue... how?

Bingo! No one is saying he can't yell racial shit at the top of his internet lungs. They just don't want to pay you to do it. His speech is totally free.

29. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 14:40 Beamer

I mean, I don't get how this is a free speech issue, or why people are bringing free speech up. Guy says something dumb. People call him dumb. Corporations who pay him to represent them stop paying him to represent them as they don't want to be associated with someone dumb in that particular way.

No one stops him from being dumb, from saying dumb things, or from doing what he wants. People just step back from their association with him because they don't want to be associated with that.

It's a free speech issue... how?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 14:19 Quboid

27. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 14:19 Quboid

Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:09:
No one is saying (at least I don't think they are) to convict him of a crime. But pulling all his sponsorship and support from the big companies that help prop him up? Sure!

He can freely say what the hell he wants, but he shouldn't expect to be respected for it. Especially when all it is is a man-boy trying to act cool on the internet by getting 'edgy' with racial slurs. What the hell are you thinking when your viewership is primarily made up of children?

He claims to think it's a mainstream media conspiracy. I don't know if he actually believes that, but the pathetic thing is how many people do. Get criticised for repeatedly spewing racist garbage in front of tens of millions of people, mostly children? Yes, it's the evil MSM.

26. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:50 Creston

Haha, that's very true.

I'm glad that whoever wrote that article at least isn't as tone deaf as he appeared to be.

25. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:45 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 13:33:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 13:10:
Creston wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:47:
OR, you know, people can't read the article because their work blocks it.

No need to read the article. Blue put "(Satirical)" right after the article title. You missed that I guess?

Yeah, I missed a single word, omg THE WORST EVER!
Well yeah, in this case that single word turned your understanding of the author's intent 180 degrees.

Wars have started over less.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

24. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:40 VaranDragon

23. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:33 Creston

No need to read the article. Blue put "(Satirical)" right after the article title. You missed that I guess?

Yeah, I missed a single word, omg THE WORST EVER!

22. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:26 El Pit

Gamer's Asperger!

I don't run around throwing F-bombs, but I will NEVER bow to this hilarious politically correct speech police everywhere.

FUCKING LANGUAGE NAZIS!

Oops.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

21. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:17 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 13:13:

Wat
You mean they have to read the titles.

What are you, a commie.

Comrade, is Soviet Ryussia, the titles read you.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

20. Re: Op Ed Sep 12, 2017, 13:13 RedEye9

Wat
You mean they have to read the titles.

What are you, a commie.

What's worse is admitting you can't read the article, fail at reading the headline, and still have to post your uninformed opinion.

Thanks tRump!

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >