Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 20:06 Cutter

Persistence hunting isn't running, it's jogging and harassing until the animal it too tired to run, or if it's wounded bleeds out. But yeah, we did a lot more gathering than hunting. Hunting is hard dangerous work, gathering isn't so much hard as it drudgery - ever go berry picking? Crafting, scraping skins, making weapons and tools, etc. is all stuff you do sitting down. And like every other animal when food is hard to come by you don't expend any energy needlessly. People didn't go for a run for the sake of exercise. That's how we evolved. It's only when we hit the agrarian phase of our existence - 10,000 years ago - that we got into proper work days of farming, fishing, tending animals, forestry, and building permanent structures.

I don't disagree that sitting all day long isn't good for you. It's just that whenever these sorts of things come to light people tend to go overboard and blame it as the focal point of all our woes when it isn't.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 18:42 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:43:
Hunter gathers did a lot of sitting. We've evolved as sitters so I don't think it's really that. Again it almost comes back to diet - sugar and salt specifically.

It's not sitting per se, but never getting up and walking around every so often. Pretty sure they didn't sit for 4 to 6 hours straight like we do for work or gaming sessions. Also hunter gatherers had an average lifespan of 45 years, which isn't long enough to reap the harm of too much sitting.

Stay a while, and listen.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 18:34 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:43:
Hunter gathers did a lot of sitting. We've evolved as sitters so I don't think it's really that. Again it almost comes back to diet - sugar and salt specifically.
I don't know how much sitting they did, but they did A LOT of running -- that's pretty clear. In some cases we most likely ran game to death, literally. Our superior body cooling mechanism (sweating) is something many furry animals can't do. So, while they can out sprint us easily, we just kept at it, keep making them sprint, and after awhile they can't sprint because they are over heated. There is a good reason humans are capable of running marathons...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Another Study Ties Sitting to Mortality Risk. Sep 12, 2017, 18:33 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 15:57:
No WAY i'm givin' up my marathon toilet sessions.

Like a fine wine, some things can't be rushed.

Perhaps those two things should not be rushed, but perhaps they could be combined? A "two birds, one flush" sort of thing? It would give the phrase "a delicate bouquet" an entirely new meaning.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 18:18 RedEye9

https://twitter.com/MichaelRigs/status/907701696486404096
We're OK, power has been out for 41 hours, phone was dead. Est. 2 hours to 2 days. Lots of flooding still. Will check in tomorrow.

Riggs was overheard saying that living with no electricity and flooding was nothing compared to the hardship of twitters 140 character limit.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 17:43 Kxmode

Happy Video Game Day all! You know what to do!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

5. Another Study Ties Sitting to Mortality Risk. Sep 12, 2017, 15:57 SlimRam

No WAY i'm givin' up my marathon toilet sessions.

Like a fine wine, some things can't be rushed.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 15:43 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 13:49 jdreyer

Primalchrome wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 12:51:
One of those sitting/standing desks may be in my near future for the new office...

I get up every 30m at work and walk the interior perimeter. Takes about 3 min. I forget often though so I've ordered a Fitbit to remind me.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 13:47 jdreyer

Congress ignore science? That's a first.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2017, 12:51 Primalchrome

One of those sitting/standing desks may be in my near future for the new office...  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo