Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

On Windows 10 Game Stuttering

A recent post by Microsoft support engineer Paul "Jesse Pinkman" Aaron confirmed that stuttering issues playing games in Windows 10 were the result of the Windows 10 Creator Update (thanks DSOGaming). A post on MSPoweruser has a note on a workaround, saying: "some gamers are reporting that disabling the Xbox Game DVR feature is fixing the issue for them, but thatís not working for everyone." Here's word on plans to address this further:

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback and submitted traces via the Feedback app. We've been reviewing the traces and have identified an issue that we believe is the cause of stuttering in some of the cases that you've reported. We have a fix in the Windows Insider build that flighted to the "Fast" ring this week (build 16273 and above). If you are already an Insider please test it with any app or game you're having this problem with and let us know how it goes. If you want to test it out and you're not an Insider yet you can find instructions on joining the Windows 10 Insider Program here: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/how-to-pc/.

Again, If its works, let us know here - if it doesn't submit another Feedback item using the same steps as above. You're feedback on this change and the Insiders build will help us evaluate the fix so we that can decide if it should be released for the current version of Windows 10.

And thanks again for everyone who provided feedback and traces - we are listening and you're helping us figure it out.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 12, 2017, 04:11 Suppa7

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 18:09:
But again we are naked in a digital world and whatever you think is sacred about your data... you've given that up voluntarily or involuntarily a long time ago.

Sorry to tell ya but what you just said is a myth...

The idea that the consumer decides corporate policies by voting with his money requires.

1) An informed population
2) Sophisticated knowledge about technology and how to make rational decisions
3) Geographical proximity to business.

Without those 3 there is no accountability, it's just a pure dictatorship of business policy over everyone else.

Before the internet there was a balance of power between buyer and seller of software, that balance of power has been erased by the internet and human stupidity. All corporations need to do is just have a group of moronic parents give birth to a generation of kids who don't know wtf is going on. Most people are ignorant as fuck regarding their own society and believe whatever they are fed through schools, media and TV/Youtube/Social media.

No one voluntarily gave up their rights, steam and mmo's were imposed because you need special training to see through the fraudulent nature of their agenda to remove control of software from you. It's not a trivial undertaking. The reality is the human mind was never built to make rational decisions in a high tech capitalist society and we're seeing the results.

No one wanted steam or software being removed, but the original PC game generation can't exactly jump through a portal to these big companies headquarters and give them hell so they get away with it because the market is a myth in a post internet age. You can't hold someone accountable when they are 100's of miles away. Before the internet they had to release the software physically to a company like walmart if they wanted to get paid, they don't have to do that now that the internet enables fraud on a massive scale.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 23:25 Nate

I disabled or uninstalled all that Windows 10 Xbox stuff a long time ago.  

17. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 20:38 Creston

Evil Timmy wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 15:50:
"Microsoft cares about PC gamers" is basically the trickle-down economics of the tech world.

Thumbsup

16. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 11, 2017, 18:23 {PH}88fingers

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 18:09:
Steam Support has in-app and registry-based solutions for turning the Xbox DVR off. Disabling Windows Updates like Mashiki suggested should only be a last resort as it's a big security issue. "Microsoft cares about PC gamers" is basically the trickle-down economics of the tech world.

All this stuff is a mind fuck.

It's a big security risk? I think I'm having much more problems with companies fumbling my data around on their end, then I have security issues on mine.

Face it we are naked in a helpless ocean of data.

One person has an issue and they think that is normal for many.

Some have stuttering, doesn't mean all.

The best news is they are addressing it, good.

I reckon those that don't have Win10 think there is some type of hassle and issue after issue bedeviling it's users. I was golden with 7 and just as golden with 10. Pretty much the same thing day in and out.

Yup, I don't have the stutter, yep I didn't have the USB issue someone had here. I didn't have the sleep issue another did. But there is also a person out there with a stuttering issue with their Win7, a usb issue with their Win7 and sleep issue with their Win7.

I get what you are really fighting about and that is... you think we are being data mined more with Win10 than Win7 and a little more heavy handed upgrading practices, that's about it. But again we are naked in a digital world and whatever you think is sacred about your data... you've given that up voluntarily or involuntarily a long time ago. I sleep at night knowing any shenanigans like that, I've had no problem getting problems reversed, good, otherwise this would be a nightmare.

finally a post with some brains.

15. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 18:09 HorrorScope

Steam Support has in-app and registry-based solutions for turning the Xbox DVR off. Disabling Windows Updates like Mashiki suggested should only be a last resort as it's a big security issue. "Microsoft cares about PC gamers" is basically the trickle-down economics of the tech world.

All this stuff is a mind fuck.

It's a big security risk? I think I'm having much more problems with companies fumbling my data around on their end, then I have security issues on mine.

Face it we are naked in a helpless ocean of data.

One person has an issue and they think that is normal for many.

Some have stuttering, doesn't mean all.

The best news is they are addressing it, good.

I reckon those that don't have Win10 think there is some type of hassle and issue after issue bedeviling it's users. I was golden with 7 and just as golden with 10. Pretty much the same thing day in and out.

Yup, I don't have the stutter, yep I didn't have the USB issue someone had here. I didn't have the sleep issue another did. But there is also a person out there with a stuttering issue with their Win7, a usb issue with their Win7 and sleep issue with their Win7.

I get what you are really fighting about and that is... you think we are being data mined more with Win10 than Win7 and a little more heavy handed upgrading practices, that's about it. But again we are naked in a digital world and whatever you think is sacred about your data... you've given that up voluntarily or involuntarily a long time ago. I sleep at night knowing any shenanigans like that, I've had no problem getting problems reversed, good, otherwise this would be a nightmare.

14. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 17:03 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 16:06:
"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I test it in production."

That's the way you can behave when you have become a monopoly

13. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 16:13 RedEye9

panbient wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:40:
Same as it doesn't seem to matter how many times I uncheck the 'download automatically' option for Radeon drivers (I'm on legacy hardware) it still keeps ignoring the actual user options and automatically downloading the update.
One of my clients has the same issue with the Radeon driver update pop-up.
Nothing I have tried, including check/unchecking the check for new updates and the Download Automatically boxes has helped.
Of course when I try to install the newer drivers the install fails due to legacy hardware.
Extensive googling and multiple small animal sacrifices have done nothing to fix the issue.
It's definitely a fuckup on AMD's end.
If you find a fix for it I will give you a gold star and a cookie.
PS: She's not a gamer.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

12. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 16:06 jdreyer

"I don't always test my code, but when I do, I test it in production."

Stay a while, and listen.

11. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 15:50 Evil Timmy

10. No subject Sep 11, 2017, 15:15 Mashiki Amiketo

panbient wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:40:
Same as it doesn't seem to matter how many times I uncheck the 'download automatically' option for Radeon drivers (I'm on legacy hardware) it still keeps ignoring the actual user options and automatically downloading the update.

There's a very strong chance that it isn't the AMD driver doing it, rather it's Windows 10 doing it. Will walk you through disabling it. And that was one of the biggest complaints was MS pushing driver updates out and breaking shit, especially with power users and businesses that had to have particular drivers in use for something.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 14:41 thestryker

4D-Boxing wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 13:09:
MajorD wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:53:
ALLLLLL ABOARD, the trendy MS Bash Wagon is ready to depart!

I've used Windows 10 game recorder for various LPs, and it works very well, and I can't even notice it running in the background. Works way better than other recording software I've used.

So even though people talk about real world issues that have been independently corroborated etc. it's people jumping on the "bash wagon". This is Blue's News commenters are not casual PC users that rely on the neighborhood kid or they're children to setup their WiFi.

Just benchmarks of DX11 vs DX12 speak volumes and I won't even go into multi gpu sport issues or the findings of the Privacy labs of many the Commissioners from many countries.

Tried 10 from July to October 2016 and went back to what gave the best performance.

Pretty sure he was referring to the people who posted before him who were literally just spouting off anti MS stuff. There's a very large amount of undeserved hatred simply because it's MS and there always will be. The OS works fine for me, and I haven't had any problems not to mention the fact that aside from program launch staggering on boot being annoying it's faster than 7. This doesn't mean I assume everyone else is in the same boat.

There are a lot of people who don't care about being able to potentially play all of the latest games or for whatever reason do have performance issues. More power to them if they decide to not use the latest OS. For me the ongoing security support, performance and having the widest supporting platform are far more important, to each their own.

8. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 13:09 4D-Boxing

MajorD wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:53:

I've used Windows 10 game recorder for various LPs, and it works very well, and I can't even notice it running in the background. Works way better than other recording software I've used.

So even though people talk about real world issues that have been independently corroborated etc. it's people jumping on the "bash wagon". This is Blue's News commenters are not casual PC users that rely on the neighborhood kid or they're children to setup their WiFi.

Just benchmarks of DX11 vs DX12 speak volumes and I won't even go into multi gpu sport issues or the findings of the Privacy labs of many the Commissioners from many countries.

Tried 10 from July to October 2016 and went back to what gave the best performance.

7. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 12:53 MajorD

Still counting...

6. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 12:40 panbient

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:12:

Likely that's what is happening. And depending on your card(nvidia or amd), there's also an app that does the same thing. So now they're fighting for resources. Plus razer's app does it as well.

This is exactly what I've been dealing with for the last year courtesy of both MS and AMD. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I deactivate the DVR garbage it gets started again with any update.

Here's the kicker. Even if I do -NOT- install the AMD update (which I don't). That DVR crap seems to reinitialize and activate itself whenever the OS recognizes just a potential driver update.

Easiest check / solution I've found is to launch DotA2 every couple of weeks just to verify the DVR activity. DotA will return a warning on launch that it can negatively impact your performance and give you an option to disable the 'feature' (which still requires a system reboot).

5. No subject Sep 11, 2017, 12:12 Mashiki Amiketo

aka_STEVE wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 11:42:
99% of it is that they chose to enable 'ON' by default the game dvr app that constantly records video of you gaming ....

What a brilliant choice MS

Likely that's what is happening. And depending on your card(nvidia or amd), there's also an app that does the same thing. So now they're fighting for resources. Plus razer's app does it as well.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 12:04 Darks

Another reason why I dont use this POS OS.

MS trying to be to cleaver for their own good. The many design and feature decisions in this OS is beyond baffling.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

3. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 11:42 aka_STEVE

99% of it is that they chose to enable 'ON' by default the game dvr app that constantly records video of you gaming ....

What a brilliant choice MS

2. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 11:03 Creston

"Best version of Windows for gaming!"

XBox Game DVR my ass.

1. Re: On Windows 10 Game Stuttering Sep 11, 2017, 10:48 RedEye9

So they need a "Game Mode" for Game Mode?

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo