Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer

This spotlight trailer from Larian Studios offers a look at combat in Divinity: Original Sin 2, their RPG sequel that's currently in the early access phase on Steam (thanks VG247). The clip runs for about three minutes, uses actual gameplay footage, and features a fun tongue-in-cheek narration. Word is: "So just how creative can you get with Combat in Divinity: Original Sin 2? Watch and learn, apprentice. Watch and learn."

View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
Sep 10, 2017, 12:35
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 10, 2017, 12:35
Sep 10, 2017, 12:35

Neat. Afraid I'm not that clever though. Anyone playing? Is it the same as the first game? I never got close to finishing it. The EA version might be better for me since it's only a few hours long I've read.

Sep 10, 2017, 13:01
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 10, 2017, 13:01
Sep 10, 2017, 13:01

I just finished the first game a few days ago lol. It was a grand adventure, and tuns of fun to play. As to whether this one is the same, it certainly looks to have similar themes, especially in the gameplay... the way elements interact, the focus on strategy in combat and the difficulty of enemies. The original has some very challenging fights, some of which aren't even boss fights. Granted the first game also has it's 'ridiculously OP' boss fights too that require a bit of meta-gaming to beat. Hopefully the sequel works out that difficulty curve a bit better.

The early access is apparently just the first chapter or some-such... a few hours of gameplay. But IMHO the original is well worth the time you put into it. My game was a little over 80 hours long, a bit on the long side I imagine as I tend to do everything, talk to everyone, take it slow.

Re: Origin Access Free This Week
Sep 10, 2017, 13:30
Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 10, 2017, 13:30
Sep 10, 2017, 13:30

I played co-op with a friend and we got real far but needed the 16 orbs or whatever to continue?? we are missing 1 or some shit, and we have no idea which one we're missing and can't continue.
We tried going over a guide to see which one we're missing but can't pinpoint.
kinda pissed us off tbh

Sep 10, 2017, 14:43
Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 10, 2017, 14:43
Sep 10, 2017, 14:43

It's very similar gameplay-wise, but more options. Strongest spells now use a resource called "Source", which has various ways of being acquired, but isn't automatically generated in combat or anything.

D:OS 2 also handles quests much better IIRC, with easier to read notes and logs so you can figure out what you should be doing.

Sep 10, 2017, 16:57
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 10, 2017, 16:57
Sep 10, 2017, 16:57

Frijoles wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:
Neat. Afraid I'm not that clever though. Anyone playing? Is it the same as the first game? I never got close to finishing it. The EA version might be better for me since it's only a few hours long I've read.

Besides Steam, it is also available on GOG, where I bought it yesterday. Very nice, but the game that will be released on 9/14 will be much different as the Early Access version hasn't been updated since *May* and is still alpha--aside from spanning only a few hours of the opening game play...! In the game released in four days *all* of the audio--every single line--has a voice actor behind it! Should be significantly different than the EA. I played the first one through at least three times, as memory serves--basically, I started over every time a major patch was released, as well.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 10, 2017, 17:01
Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 10, 2017, 17:01
Sep 10, 2017, 17:01

Rhett wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 14:43:
It's very similar gameplay-wise, but more options. Strongest spells now use a resource called "Source", which has various ways of being acquired, but isn't automatically generated in combat or anything.

D:OS 2 also handles quests much better IIRC, with easier to read notes and logs so you can figure out what you should be doing.

"Source" and "Sourcery" featured prominently in the first game--indeed, you were a "Source Hunter" initially in the beginning of D:OS. Just four more days until D:OS 2. EA looks good, but hasn't been updated since May and is still an alpha--actual game should be much improved, of course.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Sep 11, 2017, 04:52
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 04:52
Sep 11, 2017, 04:52

WaltC wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 16:57:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 12:35:

Besides Steam, it is also available on GOG, where I bought it yesterday. Very nice, but the game that will be released on 9/14 will be much different as the Early Access version hasn't been updated since *May* and is still alpha--aside from spanning only a few hours of the opening game play...! In the game released in four days *all* of the audio--every single line--has a voice actor behind it! Should be significantly different than the EA. I played the first one through at least three times, as memory serves--basically, I started over every time a major patch was released, as well.

Dang I completely forgot it's gonna release in 3 days.. gotta clear up some time to be prepared for my "Lich Summoner" playthrough First Act is playable and that's around 30 (ish) per cent of the game. So Act 2 is gonna be bigger, with many many more decisions to make and hings to discover, but Act 1 is by no means a tiny part of the game, it's pretty expansive if you 100% it.

Also just for the record, that source magic thing isn't fixed yet.. I heard nothing about it the past month and there were a LOT of comments regarding this too. Latest alpha version removed any gainable source points from the game entirely.

Sep 11, 2017, 07:30
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 07:30
Sep 11, 2017, 07:30

I never got far in the first game, once I arrived in the first? city I was stuck running around talking to people to try and get some quests sorted, if you wandered outside the walls you got smashed to pieces without any chance of winning by some mobs 4-5 lvl's higher then you.

Got bored and quit the game, maybe it just starts slow or I missed something.

Sep 11, 2017, 09:09
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 09:09
Sep 11, 2017, 09:09

Dentorro wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 07:30:
I never got far in the first game, once I arrived in the first? city I was stuck running around talking to people to try and get some quests sorted, if you wandered outside the walls you got smashed to pieces without any chance of winning by some mobs 4-5 lvl's higher then you.

It does, that first town is kinda overwhelming. DOS 2 handles it better, less NPCs and more direction, but still lots of nooks and crannies to play with. In DOS 1 if you stepped out the wrong side of town, you end up with much higher level enemies than you can deal with. Can't happen in DOS 2, unless you pick fights where fights are not meant to be picked (yet), though once you get some new spells and some armor you can usually make do with some solid strategy.

DOS 2 is still more of the same, just improved all around (IMO). And 4-player-able. Seems better in co-op, especially to get people into the genre that don't normally play it. Though I got another friend to play it and he constantly got us into fights, lol.

No subject
Sep 11, 2017, 10:16
No subject Sep 11, 2017, 10:16
Sep 11, 2017, 10:16

Every RPG I've ever played has been like that. Hell even the Witcher is like that. FYI D:OS2 weighs in at 35GB.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 11, 2017, 12:08
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 12:08
Sep 11, 2017, 12:08

God almighty, that voice...

Was it just me or was the enemy not really doing much while all this stuff was going on? It seemed like they were just standing around waiting for the player's party to pull off ten rounds worth of combos. Even so, that's a staggering amount of options within battle, it looks awesome. Teleport stuff seems monstrously OP, but eh.

Is this turn-based or real time?

No subject
Sep 11, 2017, 12:33
No subject Sep 11, 2017, 12:33
Sep 11, 2017, 12:33

Creston wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:08:

It's turn based with action points similar to Fallout/2/etc. One of the great tricks with D:OS, and D:OS2 is if you have a high initiative, or you can 'bump' the enemies initiative down you can make more moves before their turn comes up. That does mean though, that AP's still build up if you push them further down the turn line.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 11, 2017, 12:55
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 12:55
Sep 11, 2017, 12:55

Creston wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 12:08:

Was it just me or was the enemy not really doing much while all this stuff was going on? It seemed like they were just standing around waiting for the player's party to pull off ten rounds worth of combos. Even so, that's a staggering amount of options within battle, it looks awesome. Teleport stuff seems monstrously OP, but eh.

Turn based, and trust me, that enemy does not just stand around . they can be pretty brutal at times.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Sep 11, 2017, 14:26
Nimh

Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 14:26
Sep 11, 2017, 14:26
 Nimh

I had a similar experience at first. I ended up finding a color coded map online that told you what area to be in and at what level. That eliminated my frustration. There were still some pretty hard boss fights though.

Sep 11, 2017, 14:29
Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 11, 2017, 14:29
Sep 11, 2017, 14:29

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 13:30:
I played co-op with a friend and we got real far but needed the 16 orbs or whatever to continue?? we are missing 1 or some shit, and we have no idea which one we're missing and can't continue.
We tried going over a guide to see which one we're missing but can't pinpoint.
kinda pissed us off tbh

Same thing happened to me, or so I thought. I wasn't actually missing any stones, instead I failed to enter an area I unlocked. That area had an important sequence within it (all the areas in Homestead do) and because I didn't experience it, the game failed to unlock the last area in Homestead. I too thought I had failed to get all the stones and so I used a guide and spent hours going around and picking up every blood stone I had spent, only to realize I had all of them.

Once I realized this, and went into the last place I unlocked, and had that important conversation, the game unlocked the last place, which let me access the source temple. Rather confusing and not at all the first time it had happened to me in the game.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

On the up-side, you didn't miss much. A combat-free puzzle-dungeon that unlocks the Garden where the guardians stood watch over the godbox. There-in a few tough combat encounters and the final boss. Should you beat him the Void dragon goes into the box for eternity and the god that unleashed it in the first place purifies Source so it can be used for good once again. The PCs go on to lead lives (you get to choose in what way) before dying after a long life and going into the annals of history.

Sep 11, 2017, 20:09
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 20:09
Sep 11, 2017, 20:09

I don't like turn base games and I bought this anyway because I want to support small developers that make amazing shit

Sep 11, 2017, 21:17
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 21:17
Sep 11, 2017, 21:17

loomy wrote on Sep 11, 2017, 20:09:
I don't like turn base games and I bought this anyway because I want to support small developers that make amazing shit

Awesome, give it a try though. It's only turn based in combat, and it gives you more freedom than most real-time can give you.

Sep 11, 2017, 22:11
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 11, 2017, 22:11
Sep 11, 2017, 22:11

This looks excellent. I can't wait! I don't think I'll run through the Director's Cut version of the first one before I play D:OS2 though...beat the vanilla version year(s) ago, loved it.

Got this on Gog, through the Kickstarter.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer