Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a pretty exciting day yesterday as we got a large portion of our possessions out of the house and into temporary storage in anticipation of our eventual move. There's still a bit more packing and staging to be done, but this represents a quantum leap in our progress which has brought the light at the end of the tunnel into view. Whew!

R.I.P.: RIP Jerry Pournelle, the first author to write a novel on a computer.

Stored Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zombie Derby.
Story: Stranger Gives Last Generator to Tearful Woman Trying to Keep Sick Relative's Oxygen Tank Running When Irma Hits.
Science: As Irma approaches nuclear plants in Florida, lessons from Andrew resonate.
Media: Why Hurricane Categories Make a Difference. Thanks JDreyer.
Hey!
Phil Mickelson takes golf advice from young fan.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 15:12 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 14:41:
Thanks for the well-wishes, guys! Started raining this morning and now it's pounding on my window. Got a long night ahead of us...

Woah! I didn't know you were in Florida. Please, be safe! Wishing all the best for you and your family.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 14:41 Rigs

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys! Started raining this morning and now it's pounding on my window. Got a long night ahead of us...

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 14:05 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 05:32:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 02:26:
The rating for No Man's Sky is fascinating. On the one hand, you have Overall Mostly Negative (36%) for a variety of reasons but mostly for how it was pitched and what was delivered at launch (I'm in that camp), and Recent Very Positive (81%) from people who are happy with the improvements and updates.

What do you think?

I think I'll probably be picking it up on sale one of these days.

If you don't mind, do let me know what you think of it after 20-30 hours of play.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 14:03 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 05:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 23:20:
Holy ocean bottoms, Batman!

I actually have a hard time believing that is real.... could it be fake?

I think it's real. The storm surge water has to come from somewhere, and the ocean around the Bahamas is extremely shallow.

It's not that the ocean around the islands is shallow, it's the sheer size of Irma. Satellite photographs have revealed that Irma stretches 400 miles across. How big is that?

"Hurricane Irma is so big that it would cover the UK and Ireland." - Liam Dutton, weather presenter for Channel 4 News, stated via Twitter.

"It's the size of France. Its an enormous beast." - Ian Woods, Sky correspondent.

Additionally, Irma could also cover the states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky and North Carolina at once. To put this vast size into perspective, the state of Michigan itself is roughly 96,715.8 square miles (250,493 km2). And a picture overlay from NBC5 meteorologist Brian James revealed that Irma is big enough to completely cover Texas.

The eye of the storm fluctuates around 30 miles across. The eye of the storm itself would cover the Detroit area, which is roughly 1,337.16 square miles. "Context for size of Hurricane #Irma eye. Barbuda is 62 square miles. Washington DC is 68 square miles. - Meteorologist Ryan Maue tweeted.

Just saying.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 10:16 RedEye9

Retired wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 23:31:

AMazing. Would be awesome to explore the vast area. Apparently comes back slowly.

Except when it's caused by a Tsunami.
Many people were killed by the Indian Ocean tsunami because they went down to the beach to view the retreating ocean exposing the seafloor. Apparently they were unaware that this phenomenon precedes a killer wave. Experts believe that a receding ocean may give people as much as five minutes' warning to evacuate the area.
You just gotta know the cause
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1228_041228_tsunami_2.html

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 05:32 jdreyer

I think it's real. The storm surge water has to come from somewhere, and the ocean around the Bahamas is extremely shallow.

Stay a while, and listen.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 05:32 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 02:26:
The rating for No Man's Sky is fascinating. On the one hand, you have Overall Mostly Negative (36%) for a variety of reasons but mostly for how it was pitched and what was delivered at launch (I'm in that camp), and Recent Very Positive (81%) from people who are happy with the improvements and updates.

What do you think?

I think I'll probably be picking it up on sale one of these days.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 02:29 Kxmode

So I guess it's completely appropriate to say that Hurricane Irma sucks!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 02:26 Kxmode

What do you think?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 23:31 Retired

AMazing. Would be awesome to explore the vast area. Apparently comes back slowly.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 23:20 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 22:36 Retired

Sending good vibes to everyone in the path of this monster. Please keep those in your thoughts that chose to stay behind, fire, ems, police, doctors, nurses, and anyone else there to help. Know a lot of people that are staying to help, very worried about them.

Congrats blue! We have a full 20x10 storage, one of MrGrosser's garage stalls, and my garage still has a lot. The sellers have agreed to give us access to the garage Monday, and it is a huge garage, double deep double wide. Can move everything else that isnt in storage and be moved before the move at the end of the week!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 22:09 The Half Elf

Rigs wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 17:02:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:34:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:33:
@Rigs
Not to pile on more work, but do you have enough roof and foundation anchors on the house? Do you have a backup generator? I assume you have food and water for a couple of weeks with no power. Keep some bleach handy in case you need to purify your own.

And lastly be glad you don't live in South Florida.

I was telling everyone here that all the people that went west from Miami would be better to go back east TO Miami! Like everyone on the East Coast went west, thinking it would be another Matthew. Miami is a practical ghost town. NOW, everyone is regretting it. That's part of the reason I didn't go anywhere. I knew the Euro model was saying the total opposite of what the NHC was saying a few days ago. They didn't do a good job of communicating that to the public this time. They should have made it clear that the Euro was saying something almost totally different and that it had been a near-perfect forecast model for the previous storms. Instead, they kept moving the track around and causing general confusion. You'd think, with a brand new GOES 16 satellite in orbit, all this fancy computing hardware and lots of smarty brains in their employ, they'd get this right once in a while. They did ok with Harvey, they screwed the pooch, IMO, with Irma.

I live in a double-wide 'mobile home'. (I'll never know why they call it a 'mobile home' when it doesn't move...like ever, except when you don't want it too, like during a hurricane or tornado) It's not my first choice, but we had to move from our more secure and sturdy house in Beverly Hills (Citrus County) last year after five years in three weeks. So that didn't give us a lot of time to be picky. But we won't be staying here in this home if it gets really bad. There's a really sturdy brick house within walking distance the next yard over, so if something does happen, we're ready to pick up and go over there immediately. Our home here is anchored and the roof was just inspected and worked on yesterday, so it's as good as it's going to get. Our plans are made, our preps are done and we're just hoping for the best and sitting patiently.

=-Rigs-=

Good Luck man, please keep us updated as best you can.
I remember when we moved down to Florida and the EX mentioned getting a mobile home. That was a 2 second conversation of "NO".
I never evacuated the 10+ years I lived in Orlando, but I would have left for this one.

Be safe!

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 22:01 RedEye9

Just saw "IT", I give it a solid B Plus.
You know times are bad when the best movie you've seen lately is a Stephen King remake.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 17:30 Creston

Good luck, Rigs. Hope you and your family will be safe. (And everyone else in Florida as well.)

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2017, 17:41.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 17:24 Mr. Tact

@MichaelRigs Aug 12

@Dinnerbone Could we possibly get some love for the weather/cloud buffs? Multiple cloud layers and billowing clouds from late day heating?

D'OH! (yes, I know you were talking about Minecraft)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 17:10 Burrito of Peace

I in no way believe that generator story.

Rigs, best of luck to you and yours. Hope everything comes out OK.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 17:02 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:34:
@Rigs
Not to pile on more work, but do you have enough roof and foundation anchors on the house? Do you have a backup generator? I assume you have food and water for a couple of weeks with no power. Keep some bleach handy in case you need to purify your own.

I was telling everyone here that all the people that went west from Miami would be better to go back east TO Miami! Like everyone on the East Coast went west, thinking it would be another Matthew. Miami is a practical ghost town. NOW, everyone is regretting it. That's part of the reason I didn't go anywhere. I knew the Euro model was saying the total opposite of what the NHC was saying a few days ago. They didn't do a good job of communicating that to the public this time. They should have made it clear that the Euro was saying something almost totally different and that it had been a near-perfect forecast model for the previous storms. Instead, they kept moving the track around and causing general confusion. You'd think, with a brand new GOES 16 satellite in orbit, all this fancy computing hardware and lots of smarty brains in their employ, they'd get this right once in a while. They did ok with Harvey, they screwed the pooch, IMO, with Irma.

I live in a double-wide 'mobile home'. (I'll never know why they call it a 'mobile home' when it doesn't move...like ever, except when you don't want it too, like during a hurricane or tornado) It's not my first choice, but we had to move from our more secure and sturdy house in Beverly Hills (Citrus County) last year after five years in three weeks. So that didn't give us a lot of time to be picky. But we won't be staying here in this home if it gets really bad. There's a really sturdy brick house within walking distance the next yard over, so if something does happen, we're ready to pick up and go over there immediately. Our home here is anchored and the roof was just inspected and worked on yesterday, so it's as good as it's going to get. Our plans are made, our preps are done and we're just hoping for the best and sitting patiently.

=-Rigs-=

'Now we gave you a promise! And we are bound by that promise. And damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to Hell because that is exactly where we're going!' -John Sheridan, 'And All My Dreams Torn Asunder', B5

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 16:34 jdreyer

@Rigs

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 16:33 jdreyer

@Rigs

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo