Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

CBS Plans "L.A. Confidential" TV Series is an interesting headline. I loved that movie as well as the book. I probably wouldn't have liked the movie nearly as much if I'd read the novel first, however, as the book is an epic that spans more than a decade, while the movie concentrated it down into a far shorter span. This leaves a television series an opening to do better service to the source material, depending how they approach things, though the broadcast networks generally don't plan long arcs nearly as well as cable outlets do. We shall see. Until then this has been Blue, off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.

Hushed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Return Man 3: The Season.
Resume Run.
Stories: Mexico Earthquake, Strongest in a Century, Kills Dozens.
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.
Science: The MasSpec pen can detect cancer in seconds rather than weeks.
Democracy By Sneeze- When Wild Dogs Must Decide, They Vote With Their Noses. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: This guy almost gets killed by bulls at least four times, but gets away.
HeroStorm Ep 27 "Varian Parry'n" storyboard video (what ep ideas first looks like).
Woman slips handcuffs steals police cruiser. Thanks Boing Boing.
Follow-up: Martin Shkreli should have $5 million bail revoked for harassing Hillary Clinton, others, prosecutors say.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 22:14 Mr. Tact

Ah, yes. The Graham plan is a repeal of ACA which allows a simple majority vote in the Senate for some obscure reason I haven't bothered to learn about. However, that option has an end of September deadline. So, in the next 2.5 weeks, look for another ACA repeal vote requiring 3 GOP votes in the Senate to stop it...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2017, 20:28 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 05:37:
Bernie is introducing "Medicare for All" on Wednesday.
Yep, and Lindsay Graham and friends have introduced their new "we have to save the country from going bankrupt" ACA replacement. The big question being, can Graham get his bill around the filibuster rule through some arcane procedure like they did with the last repel attempt. If they can, it might be trouble. If the can't, I assume it is DOA.

48. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 13, 2017, 14:40 {PH}88fingers

Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

not really.. 185 SUSTAINED winds is what Irma was when it hit the Turks & Caicos Islands. Gusts way higher isn't uncommon...

47. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 05:37 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:13:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:06:
Single payer can't come soon enough.
I'd be shocked if we see it within my lifetime.

Bernie is introducing "Medicare for All" on Wednesday. It won't go anywhere with the Repubs in charge, but once the Dems come back to power, it could be the "replace" part of repeal and replace that Trump wants to sign. Trump will sign anything that either A) fulfills a campaign promise in any way, or B) was something Obama could not accomplish. If Dems can pitch Medicare for All to Trump as "100% healthcare coverage, not even Obama could achieve that!" I have no doubt that he'd sign it, regardless of the cost.

It's important to remember that Trump isn't really a Repub. He doesn't mind debt spending, for example. He's been doing it all his life.

Stay a while, and listen.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 02:12 eRe4s3r

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 15:02:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.
But that's only 361.14 kph. Stunned

Well I just hope everyone is gonna be fine. It's unimaginable to hear that this storm has the size of Germany, if that is even only 20% water then Florida isn't gonna have just storm problem but also a flood problem.

But yeah, the scale of these things is just not imaginable to me. 360km/h of gusts, can you even imagine how much force rain would have in such gusts? I can't...

45. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 16:13 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 16:06:
I'd be shocked if we see it within my lifetime.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 16:06 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 14:43:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 04:27:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 21:28:
You say be careful to avoid them but you've been on them for eight years? Not trying to contradict anything you said, just sounded strange. If you been on a serious pain killer for 8 years I assume you have a serious pain issue, sorry to hear that.

Yep, you're not contradicting anything just speaking from personal experience. Tramadol was considered a "safe" alternative for serious pain compared to oxycodone for example. Of course now that it's been in use and doctors at the recommendation of those studies started using it a lot, it's not. Especially the withdrawal and some other issues. I do have a serious pain issue, chronic migraines. They're almost bad enough to put me on disability. Right up around 15-18/month, not counting the other meds(topiramate for example) I take to reduce the frequency and side effects from the migraines. Thanks though. Luckily I can take the stuff plain without tylenol, one of the most common combinations is tylenol+tramadol(325mg/50mg) mixed. It get's hard on the stomach very quickly.

Disability? No! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps! My tax dollars won't go to your inability to resist the perfectly legal and acceptable temptations of capitalism!

Stay a while, and listen.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 14:43 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 9, 2017, 04:27:
You say be careful to avoid them but you've been on them for eight years? Not trying to contradict anything you said, just sounded strange. If you been on a serious pain killer for 8 years I assume you have a serious pain issue, sorry to hear that.

Yep, you're not contradicting anything just speaking from personal experience. Tramadol was considered a "safe" alternative for serious pain compared to oxycodone for example. Of course now that it's been in use and doctors at the recommendation of those studies started using it a lot, it's not. Especially the withdrawal and some other issues. I do have a serious pain issue, chronic migraines. They're almost bad enough to put me on disability. Right up around 15-18/month, not counting the other meds(topiramate for example) I take to reduce the frequency and side effects from the migraines. Thanks though. Luckily I can take the stuff plain without tylenol, one of the most common combinations is tylenol+tramadol(325mg/50mg) mixed. It get's hard on the stomach very quickly.

Disability? No! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps! My tax dollars won't go to your inability to resist the perfectly legal and acceptable temptations of capitalism!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 04:27 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 02:44 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:04:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:52:
Woman slips handcuffs steals police cruiser.

This made me LOL! She went from a very small crime to a major amount of time in jail...

The comments are hilarious "Amazing kind of girl" "This woman is hot".

Is the selection pool down in the southern USA that bad?

Hey, some people are attracted to those that can take decisive action.

Going to jail for 10+ years is a retarded decisive decision though, maybe akin to jumping from a building

40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 01:51 Kxmode

bigspender wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 20:49:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:08:
Thoughts and prayers to anyone in the path of Irma. Please, be safe and listen to your local authorities. Pray

http://tinyurl.com/y9mm8ug4 ROFL

Thoughts and prayers are not physical things, so that's kind of true.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 01:35 fishingtime

the commonality of censorship in the United States should be a concern to every citizen  

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2017, 01:13 Mr. Tact

There are storms that can destroy reinforced concrete buildings, I saw it on The Day After Tomorrow so it must be true!  

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 22:15 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 22:06:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:

The argument is that the tiers on that scale are supposed to represent how much damage is to be expected. Category 5 represents the level where all but the most deliberately storm-proof structures will be completely obliterated. Since you can't destroy something more than completely, naming something category 6 is a moot point in that regard. I guess a storm that could destroy reinforced concrete buildings wpi;d necessitate a category 6.

There's probably also a point to be made that it's hard to get people to evacuate as it is... anything that can make the threat seem less dire would probably only make that worse ("why do I need to leave, it's not even a category 6 yet!").
Trying to figure out how i missed your post, oh well.
I was being 60% silly with my post, thanks for explaining the scale and it's reasoning's. People will stay no matter what.
At least now they let people take their dogs to some shelters, can you imagine having people refuse to leave because they can't take their dogs with them.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 22:06 RedEye9

Notice how Hurricane JOSE does not even want to come into the US. Thanks tRump!

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2017, 23:01.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 21:28 Mr. Tact

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 18:33:
Just a heads up, avoid tramadol for pain relief if they offer it. It's considered one of the hardest pain killers to get off of, and the withdrawal symptoms are among the worst. One of the guys at the pain clinic was on it for nearly a decade. Even using the "15% reduction per week" he said it was like constantly having the flu. At one point the withdrawal had him up for 90hrs straight, and he couldn't sleep at all. Had to goto the hospital to be sedated.

I've been on them for about 8years, if you're "at the same dose" all the time you don't notice it, but the second you miss it, it feels like you're coming down with a cold. You just feel shitty and it goes downhill from there. It feels like you're coming down with a cold or flu, nausea waves, headaches, just plain shit. Even people who've only used it for a month find the withdrawal very hard.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 20:49 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 19:08:
Thoughts and prayers to anyone in the path of Irma. Please, be safe and listen to your local authorities. Pray

http://tinyurl.com/y9mm8ug4 ROFL

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 19:08 Kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 19:06 Kxmode

Would like to see IT, but I'm not a fan of diehard horror films. A dilemma. The last movie I saw in the cinema that I said "how scary could it be?" was Event Horizon. Yeeeaaahhhh...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 18:49 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 18:33:
Cutter wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:14:
Fortunately I also had a bunch of clove oil around and that stuff really works amazingly well. I put a few drops om the tooth and it was good for several hours.

Just a heads up, avoid tramadol for pain relief if they offer it. It's considered one of the hardest pain killers to get off of, and the withdrawal symptoms are among the worst. One of the guys at the pain clinic was on it for nearly a decade. Even using the "15% reduction per week" he said it was like constantly having the flu. At one point the withdrawal had him up for 90hrs straight, and he couldn't sleep at all. Had to goto the hospital to be sedated.

I've been on them for about 8years, if you're "at the same dose" all the time you don't notice it, but the second you miss it, it feels like you're coming down with a cold. You just feel shitty and it goes downhill from there. It feels like you're coming down with a cold or flu, nausea waves, headaches, just plain shit. Even people who've only used it for a month find the withdrawal very hard.

Yeah, he didn't prescribe anything, saying he'd be surprised if I needed anything beyond Tylenol and I trust him on that. The pressure is off the TMJ nerve and the blood is flowing properly now getting rid of any remaining infection and inflamation so it feels tons better. Not even the least bit sore atm and the freezing wore off hours ago. We'll see tonight. That aside, yeah I've always been hugely careful to avoid popping anything that's addictive. I'd rather take some discomfort over risking getting addicted to something precisely for the reasons you mentioned.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo