Out of the Blue

Hurricane Irma Strengthens Into Category 5, and Florida Braces for Possible Landfall is today's bad weather news, as a second hurricane is making its way towards landfall in the Caribbean tomorrow. This giant storm carries even more dire advance warnings than Harvey, and Harvey resulted in at least 60 deaths, so here's hoping they are completely wrong about this one. Unfortunately these forecasts seem to be ever-more accurate, our hopes also turn to the safety of all those in the path.

Weathered Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sniper Team 2.
Story: Lego sales hit brick wall, sheds 8% of workforce.
Science: At times during Harvey, the European model outperformed humans.
Media: Massive Landslide On National Highway in India. NSFW.
Superheroes look ridiculous without special effects.
King Joffrey was obviously misunderstood.
Follow-up: Fish attraction to plastic in ocean could be risky. Thanks Slashdot.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 7, 2017, 15:53
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2017, 15:53
Sep 7, 2017, 15:53

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 23:42:
I live in South West Florida and we are in the center of the "cone"! Pretty much, whichever model this storm follows I am SOL. So, tomorrow, we are packing up the 2 dogs and whatever clothes and whatnot we can, and hitting the road. We have family in New Jersey so I think we will shoot for there. I'd rather drive more than try to find a hotel/motel room for 2 adults, 1 kid, and 2 80+lbs dogs!

Wish us luck! I'm hoping by leaving a few days early we can avoid any major traffic issues getting out of this god forsaken state!
Lax

Ugh, good luck, man.

Sep 7, 2017, 15:51
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2017, 15:51
Sep 7, 2017, 15:51

BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:34:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:22:
BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:27:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ... X| X| X|

Sucks man. There will always be shit pet owners.

Which doggie did you wind up getting?

A 9 month old puppy.

:smitten: (smilies broken?)

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Re: Ark Expansion Announced
Sep 6, 2017, 18:30
Rigs

Re: Ark Expansion Announced Sep 6, 2017, 18:30
Sep 6, 2017, 18:30
 Rigs

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 15:23:
1badmf wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 00:25:

you might wanna go somewhere further west. there's a chance this thing just rips up the entire eastern seaboard.

Noticing that now. The storm took a slight turn to the north earlier than expected. Going to head inland at some point in the near future!

I suggest you stay to the Gulf Coast, perhaps Tampa area, if you need to stay in FL?

I'm in Columbia County (High Springs/Fort White) just south of Lake City, about an hour and a half west of Jacksonville and about the same from the FL-GA border. We're smack in the middle of the state, along I-75. Either side of FL it goes, we're gonna get something. Hermine (barely a Cat1) nearly killed us last year, Matthew (a much more powerful storm, Cat3) didn't even flicker the lights. (We lost power for 36 hours in Hermine) Go figure. I've been watching this storm for days and every model run. I have a list of their schedules on a separate browser tab, so I know when they update.

Anyway, from the way it looks currently, I think the west coast of FL is ok. It wasn't that way yesterday. I was seeing models that suggested that Irma would rapidly intensify when it went over the Keys, into a 220mph monster and track right up the Gulf coast. If it ever hit the Nature Coast (Hernando, Citrus and Levy) over to Cedar Key, that 'L' shaped coastline? They might as well scratch it off the map. There's a nuclear power plant sitting there, too. (Because of course there is) Luckily, the models have shifted the track back over to the east some. Still, it could come right up the middle of the state, as some of them suggest (and have suggested since the start) and that would be bad for everyone here, no matter where in the state you are.

Good luck, friend, stay safe!

=-Rigs-=

Sep 6, 2017, 15:23
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 15:23
Sep 6, 2017, 15:23

1badmf wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 00:25:

you might wanna go somewhere further west. there's a chance this thing just rips up the entire eastern seaboard.

Noticing that now. The storm took a slight turn to the north earlier than expected. Going to head inland at some point in the near future!

Sep 6, 2017, 10:38
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 10:38
Sep 6, 2017, 10:38

jdreyer wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 04:29:
El Pit wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 02:31:
Trevorrow is out as director of Star Wars: Episode IX. There have been rumours about him and Kennedy not getting along very well for a few weeks, so it is not a big surprise. With so many Star Wars movies having troubles (massive reshoots, directors replaced during the shoot, and so on) I wonder when will Disney step in and force choke Kennedy out of the way.

I don't know what the original Rogue One would have looked like, but I heard Kennedy ordered massive reshoots. And it came out fine. So I'll trust her instincts until it bears rotten fruit.

She got rid of Lord and Miller for the Han Solo movie. Which is mind boggling, b/c they are some of the hottest directors working. But the proof's in the pudding, and if it comes out fine, then that was the right call.

Also, I don't have a high opinion of Colin Treverrow. Jurassic World sucked.

With Lord and Miller, they're improve directors. Improv is really, really hard to make funny (see: Baywatch. Or don't, I sure didn't), but those two really nail it. But Kennedy doesn't want improve, because it's too loose and goofy for a character like Han Solo. I get that. I also get why the crew, hired not expecting to work improve, hated it. For me, not a huge SW fan, I probably would have liked that film better, but the Ron Howard version will be more true to the vision the handlers wanted rather than two loose cannon directors (this whole thing seems avoidable prior to hiring them, during negotiations.)

I don't think JW sucked, it was watchable and the second best JW movie (low bar), but yeah, I believe I've railed against it here before. The concept was cool, which the director had zilch to do with, but a lot of it was mediocre to bad, and those are the elements the director had everything to do with. Most specifically, there were way too many tone issues. In JP, when people died, it was horrifying, but the worst deaths were saved for the people who deserved it, and they were mostly off screen (if I remember.) In JW, they still wanted to horrify us, but the creative team took way more glee in creating over the top deaths which were meant to make us cringe and smile. Except they went to innocent people, not people who deserved it. You can't make us smile in joy as someone innocent dies in the kind of movie they were trying to make.

After his new film flopped hard critically and commercially, I'm not surprised Disney lost confidence.

Sep 6, 2017, 04:29
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 04:29
Sep 6, 2017, 04:29

El Pit wrote on Sep 6, 2017, 02:31:
Trevorrow is out as director of Star Wars: Episode IX. There have been rumours about him and Kennedy not getting along very well for a few weeks, so it is not a big surprise. With so many Star Wars movies having troubles (massive reshoots, directors replaced during the shoot, and so on) I wonder when will Disney step in and force choke Kennedy out of the way.

I don't know what the original Rogue One would have looked like, but I heard Kennedy ordered massive reshoots. And it came out fine. So I'll trust her instincts until it bears rotten fruit.

She got rid of Lord and Miller for the Han Solo movie. Which is mind boggling, b/c they are some of the hottest directors working. But the proof's in the pudding, and if it comes out fine, then that was the right call.

Also, I don't have a high opinion of Colin Treverrow. Jurassic World sucked.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Sep 6, 2017, 04:24
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 04:24
Sep 6, 2017, 04:24

I live in South West Florida and we are in the center of the "cone"! Pretty much, whichever model this storm follows I am SOL. So, tomorrow, we are packing up the 2 dogs and whatever clothes and whatnot we can, and hitting the road. We have family in New Jersey so I think we will shoot for there. I'd rather drive more than try to find a hotel/motel room for 2 adults, 1 kid, and 2 80+lbs dogs!

Wish us luck! I'm hoping by leaving a few days early we can avoid any major traffic issues getting out of this god forsaken state!
Lax

Can't you hide the dogs in suitcases and smuggle them into a Motel 6?
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Sep 6, 2017, 02:31
El Pit

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 02:31
Sep 6, 2017, 02:31
 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Sep 6, 2017, 00:25
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 00:25
Sep 6, 2017, 00:25

Lax

Sep 5, 2017, 23:42
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 23:42
Sep 5, 2017, 23:42

Lax

Sep 5, 2017, 23:38
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 23:38
Sep 5, 2017, 23:38
 Jivaro

Stay safe Floridians. That is so scary shit on the radar. Stunned

Sep 5, 2017, 21:07
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 21:07
Sep 5, 2017, 21:07

A 9 month old puppy.

Smitten (smilies broken?)

Completely adorable!

I think a stray empty color tag in your post may be what broke the smiley.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Sep 5, 2017, 20:43
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 20:43
Sep 5, 2017, 20:43

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 20:40:
BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:57:

I will check the laws here and see what I can carry. I wish I could spray the owner though. It's not the dog's fault that the owner is a complete idiot.

The sad thing is that if an off=leash dog does threaten you, and you spray it, the owner will blame you instead of their own law-breaking behavior.
You can't fix stupid, but you can carry around bear spray for the owner moran. http://www.defensedevices.com/large-pepper-sprays.html

Sep 5, 2017, 20:40
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 20:40
Sep 5, 2017, 20:40

BobBob wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:57:

I will check the laws here and see what I can carry. I wish I could spray the owner though. It's not the dog's fault that the owner is a complete idiot.

The sad thing is that if an off=leash dog does threaten you, and you spray it, the owner will blame you instead of their own law-breaking behavior.

Sep 5, 2017, 20:31
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 20:31
Sep 5, 2017, 20:31

A 9 month old puppy.

Smitten (smilies broken?)
LYLA looks like a killer

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2017, 20:41.

Sep 5, 2017, 20:16
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 20:16
Sep 5, 2017, 20:16

That's a real cutie, Bob, congrats. Protip: In future take pic of said dog and said owner - actually several of them - and several of them together to show it's, in fact, his dog, then call City Bylaw and report him. At the very least he'll be on record as a problem owner so if, and when most likely, he does get popped for being the jackass he is they'll know it wasn't just a one time thing and treat him accordingly. If you're running into him at a certain time, even better, because then they can show up in that time frame to pop him. What's the pooch's name?

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Sep 5, 2017, 19:18
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 19:18
Sep 5, 2017, 19:18

I have a buddy who is currently in the Bahamas on a diving trip. D'oh! Bad timing on that. I know he's with an experienced crew on a boat he's been on before, so I would imagine it won't be a problem other than reducing their dive time...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Sep 5, 2017, 18:57
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:57
Sep 5, 2017, 18:57

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:58:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ...

My old dog Lucy was tiny and we had an incident with a german shepherd off-leash. She was OK but I had to get involved physically and almost got a bite. After that I started carrying a pet spray in case situations ever escalated. It's legal here but obviously check it out in your area first. Basically pepper spray for dogs, no permanent damage or lasting injuries. Just be careful you don't get the other owner otherwise its potentially an assault charge.

My new dog is pretty big so I don't really worry about it anymore.

Everyone around here walks their dogs off leash in the public parks, it drives me crazy.

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Sep 5, 2017, 18:54
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:54
Sep 5, 2017, 18:54

Blue wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 16:42:
Took dog to park. Sign clearly says pets on leash. Some old fat guy walking his dog without a leash... his dog sees my puppy and charges at me. My puppy totally panics and the guy is laughing. WTF ...

I was well into my dog ownership when it struck me that I did not know how to react if we encountered a dog attack. This bears some research, and I found some good advice online, but cannot find the same article again.

One tip is to use the leash to protect your dog by corralling the attacker, but that doesn't help if your dog is attached to it.

The bit I was able to use once to protect the Gunnar-man was to grab the other dog by the tail and use it to hammer toss him away. I won't say I recommend it, since I can't find anything to vouch for it. But as crazy as it sounds, not only did it create a lot of distance between the dogs (I tossed him a good six or eight feet), but it startled the attacker out of his aggression (I think he was not willing to find out the next crazy thing I would do to him). His owner had just stood dumbstruck during the whole attack, so he didn't even say boop to me about throwing his dog around.

Anyway, do some research and find a way to feel comfortable that everyone is protected... I won't confirm or deny the rumor that I've been known to carry a retractable self-defense baton on doggie walks, but I like the sound of the pepper spray better, as you can make more liberal use of something less likely to cause permanent injuries.

Wow, that's intense. Thanks for the tip! I may get something that is a self defense - like a spray, horn, or baton (if it starts to get that bad). There are some seriously stupid dog owners out there.
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

Sep 5, 2017, 18:52
Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2017, 18:52
Sep 5, 2017, 18:52

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 18:22:

Sucks man. There will always be shit pet owners.

Which doggie did you wind up getting?

A 9 month old puppy.

:smitten: (smilies broken?)

OMG IT'S A WUPPY, JUSTGOTTAPETIT!
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older