Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 Microtransactions?

This tweet shows a GameStop flier that indicates the virtual currency called Silver that became part of Destiny is making its return in Destiny 2 (thanks reddit's namasuki). This looks legit, but is unconfirmed. If true, this indicates the game will feature microtransactions, which were added to the original game following its release, and gradually increased in scope over time. MP1ST helps our aging eyes with the small print:

Here are the prices, just in case that text is too small.

• Destiny 2 Silver: 1000 (+100 Bonus) $9.99
  • Destiny 2 Silver: 2000 (+300 Bonus) $19.99

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 22:52 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:29:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 17:29:
You pay full price, and then all the good stuff is available for purchase. Welcome to gaming in 2017.

Vote with your wallet. The more people keep buying shit like this, the more publishers jizz all over themselves and keep doing it.

And we know that isn't really going to change anything. It is what it is, back to your first sentence.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 18:11 jdreyer

Graham wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 15:33:
You pay full price, and then all the good stuff is available for purchase. Welcome to gaming in 2017.

Vote with your wallet. The more people keep buying shit like this, the more publishers jizz all over themselves and keep doing it.

Oh look, the same tired line that's been trotted out since horse armour. The "vote with your wallet" campaign has been SUPER effective. Yes, yes, it's the fault of those horrible people who keep buying it. Curse them, without gamers gaming would be amazing!
Yeah, it's like an addict complaining that their cocaine has been cut with Borax.

Stay a while, and listen.

35. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 15:33 Graham

Oh look, the same tired line that's been trotted out since horse armour. The "vote with your wallet" campaign has been SUPER effective. Yes, yes, it's the fault of those horrible people who keep buying it. Curse them, without gamers gaming would be amazing!

34. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 15:31 Graham

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 09:36:
Angrius Maximis wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 08:22:
So let me get this straight.

All you Destiny hating panty waists are upset over colored armor, colored speeders, glow effects and other worthless micro transactions you dont have to take part in? GET A LIFE

You're obviously a child and new to gaming because these things have always been - and still are in good games - free. Or at least players have the option of making them themselves. As well as hosting their own servers, setting their own rules and conditions, etc. See, those are good things. When a company denies you choices, or presents you with the illusion of choice which is really just a way to needlessly keep their hand in your pocket that's a bad thing. And when you support those sorts of bad models it makes it worse for the rest of us. The reason evil succeeds in this world is not because people say yes to it, but because they don't say no. Grow up and stop thinking only of yourself. That's what children do.

Hey, Cutter - what fucking game are you talking about?

What game has seamless online co-op with campaigns and raids that also allows full modding and dedicated servers and/or player run servers?

What fucking utopia are you playing that the rest of us don't have access to?

Get with the fucking program, the thing you're talking about doesn't exist because it's untenable and unfeasible. Grow up yourself.

33. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 15:29 Creston

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 5, 2017, 14:24 Nullity

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 16:14:
Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 14:22:
Why doesn't the community make it's own skins with the editor like all good PC games (used to do)? Oh wait!

Multiplayer would be nothing but neon green TankJR's with massive tits and robo-dong, that's why.
Be honest... we'd all play the hell out of that game.

31. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 13:13 Suppa7

Numinar wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 09:50:
That is a bit harsh Cutter. Is an online game full of custom assets even viable?

Well as an old person the reason players can't make high qualtiy game assets is because when mmo's appeared player facing tools and sdk's for games on the PC stopped being released, every PC developer around 2000 stopped making PC games and jumped ship to console, aka we got ports of games or if we were lucky a few last games like UT2004 and Doom 3, but by and large most developers moved to console.

The rise of the drm'd rpg - aka mmo, was the big push by game publishers to remove software control from PC gamers. The problem is of course mass high speed internet allowed idiot half of the game community to normalize drm'd rpg's known as mmo's. As soon as that Ultima online and everquest took off Microtransactions were invitable.

Same happened with Steam in 2004, no one wanted steam but those of us who held out were overcome by new fresh faced kids and teens who wanted their game, aka kids that did not PC game in the 90's or had no clue about PC game culture were coming onto the internet and were largely tech illiterate and Gabe newell at Valve built an entire steam empire around stupid members of our species.

Anyone with a brain knew to avoid mmo's since paying a subscription for a game you don't own or control is a bad idea.

The reason these things happened is because the videogame market isn't a market.

To have a market you'd have to qualify to participate.

1) Market participants need to be educated and not tech illiterate like the bulk of gamers.

2) Have some means to actually influence company policy like geographic proximity. Steam would not have ever taken off in 2004 if the PC game community wasn't 100's of miles away from valves office. Valve and big game companies got to force policies because post internet the customers cannot reach said companies.

Pre internet they had to let go of the fucking game instead of holding part of it hostage on the other side of the internet.

30. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 12:06 HorrorScope

necrosis wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 08:49:
Welcome to gaming for the last ~8 years.

The only thing different is we get no good stuff at all without paying extra, per source. That's different.

29. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 12:05 HorrorScope

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 07:02:
Idiots will buy the game anyway. Only way to end the micro transactions is by no one buying it or any game with these transactions. It's easy to get rid of this practice, but most people are just stupid and will buy it.

Then I guess it isn't easy.

28. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 09:50 Numinar

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 09:36:

All you Destiny hating panty waists are upset over colored armor, colored speeders, glow effects and other worthless micro transactions you dont have to take part in? GET A LIFE

You're obviously a child and new to gaming because these things have always been - and still are in good games - free. Or at least players have the option of making them themselves. As well as hosting their own servers, setting their own rules and conditions, etc. See, those are good things. When a company denies you choices, or presents you with the illusion of choice which is really just a way to needlessly keep their hand in your pocket that's a bad thing. And when you support those sorts of bad models it makes it worse for the rest of us. The reason evil succeeds in this world is not because people say yes to it, but because they don't say no. Grow up and stop thinking only of yourself. That's what children do.

That is a bit harsh Cutter. Is an online game full of custom assets even viable? Has anyone ever done it? Wouldn't it degenerate into a second life style nightmare? Minecraft comes to mind but even there the MP isn't near-seemless like the D and the asset resolution is low enough to make offensive material difficult.

I remember when we could mod games, but I also remember when games almost never did co-op online, rarely worked well online if they even tried, and needed to have dozens of patches painstakingly applied in a specific order to get them to work when reinstalling from a disc.

27. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 09:36 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

26. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 08:49 necrosis

Welcome to gaming for the last ~8 years.

25. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 08:22 Angrius Maximis

24. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 08:22 Darks

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 07:02:
Idiots will buy the game anyway. Only way to end the micro transactions is by no one buying it or any game with these transactions. It's easy to get rid of this practice, but most people are just stupid and will buy it.

So, just because someone likes the game we are all idiots? Okay!! Right!!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

23. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 07:02 Marvin T. Martian

22. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 03:48 Suppa7

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 01:07:
Slightly off topic: Unreal Tournament (the new one) is still in pre-alpha, apparently.

This, right?

Unreal dev has slowed to a crawl, basically epics new f2p micro-transaction ridden game is their new baby so UT is basically sitting idle.

21. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 03:09 Numinar

Pretty Gross. I'm going to to give Bungie all the monies for the PC release and season pass after my vacation because I LOVE the D, but that is in the expectation I'm getting a premium product.

This stuff lessens that, I was able to ignore it in the first game (Took them a few years to add it) but if they balance drops and cosmetics to funnel business for this shitshow then I might check out.

I mean, I don't mind micro-transactions to support ongoing development and content for cheaper/FTP games, but this is a premium product that has twice yearly expansions to fulfill this. Even wow gets a pass with this junk because they take so long between content drops you can almost understand it.

I was seriously considering getting an extra PS4 to get around the lack of splitscreen for the family but depending on what the console reviews go like that's money I can waste on something even more stupid, like alcohol or that new lego Falcon.

20. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 01:07 MoreLuckThanSkill

Slightly off topic: Unreal Tournament (the new one) is still in pre-alpha, apparently.

This, right?

19. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 00:48 eRe4s3r

.Drifter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 00:06:
As far as I can tell, the new UT is both modable and free, and yet I hear next to nothing about it on here or elsewhere. I keep hearing over and over that if a great, modable game came out, people would be all over it, and the original UT was what I consider one of the greats in that area. Is the new one just that bad or user unfriendly?

Quick check on twitch
Unreal Tournament - Live Channels
1 result

Quick look at it
2 Servers online
extremely low player population (low teens)

And that channel only played private match because no players online
So yeah, that answers your question imo

18. Re: Destiny 2 Microtransactions? Sep 5, 2017, 00:18 jdreyer

.Drifter wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 00:06:
As far as I can tell, the new UT is both modable and free, and yet I hear next to nothing about it on here or elsewhere. I keep hearing over and over that if a great, modable game came out, people would be all over it, and the original UT was what I consider one of the greats in that area. Is the new one just that bad or user unfriendly?

ArmA 3 is both great and moddable.

Stay a while, and listen.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo