Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher Turning 10

The Witcher will turn 10 next month, as CD Projekt's RPG was released on October 30, 2007 in the U.S., four days after its release in Europe. CD Projekt RED celebrates the news with this trailer with a look back at the series (thanks Hypothermia). Word is:

Time flies when youíre in great company. Join Geralt of Rivia as he reminisces about the 10 years itís been since youíve first joined him on his adventures in The Witcher series of games.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. No subject Sep 6, 2017, 12:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 09:51:
Played all of them. Loved all of them. Need to finish the expansions Smitten

Blood and Wine in itself could have been a separate game. The detail itself and story writing is something I haven't seen in an "expansion" in years. Probably the closest thing to it would be BG2:ToB in terms of really adding value to the game.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 13:07 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 17:30:
So, the Witcher. Never played. Is it good?

Think of it as a highly complicated ARPG, with a heavy emphasis on RPG.

It's been ages since I played it but it suffered from 1st act syndrome even worse than Witcher 2 & 3.

It wasn't bad though. It's rough compared to Witcher 3, which is basically a renaissance of RPGs.

20. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 10:48 aka_STEVE

One of the top RPG series. I loved all these. Can't believe it's been 10 years I'm even older than I thought.  

19. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 10:04 Turd Ferguson

Slashman wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 09:51:

Same, loved it and some

18. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 09:51 Slashman

17. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 08:56 VaranDragon

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 21:11:

I tried 1 and 2, never could get into them, 3 is just amazing.

Same here.

16. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 08:36 HoSpanky

Holy crap, that video was made using the game engine. I forgot how gorgeous that game is. Never got to the expansions, the main game was so incredibly long that I felt exhausted with it by the end. But it's been several months, maybe it's time.  

15. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 08:28 Qbex .

Awesome series and classy developer.
Bar none in games industry nowadays, but I'm biased CDPR are my home town homies

14. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 07:53 Beamer

I ignored 1 and 2 and bought 3 this past January. It was one of the most engrossing games I've played. It has some issues with combat that maybe make you want to blow through the final bits faster to see the plot, but the plot is great, and those "final bits" are after 120+ hours...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. No subject Sep 5, 2017, 07:08 Mashiki Amiketo

The first game has a curve. You'll either love it or hate it. I used to hate it, but once you get past the first act it becomes much better. I enjoyed it far more after I read the books(which are worth reading, eng. translations including fan translations are out there). The second is far more linear, you're going from point a to point b, with quests on the side. It's a tale of two stories, but they both have some yet no impact on the 3rd game. You played a part, but your actions aren't enough to change the world too much. The third? The story is somewhat linear, the choices you make to have consequences but they're not felt in a "huge" difference to the outside world. The VO's, in-game cuts, all well done.

What makes the 3rd one unique is the detail to the side quests, they're not randomly generated but rather each one has it's own dialog, different problem. The world is big, vast, wandering off the path will kill you. But even then if you're smart, the enemy 20 levels above you can still be killed with patience.

Also, the quest with Roach(your horse) in Blood and Wine is just amazing.

Oh and this is the reason why people love CD Projekt, well that and they respond to fan mail and post cards. I sent them one a few years ago for Witcher 2 and they sent one back.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 02:18 LOC

Some of you might like this then, its a 2 part PAX West awesomefest celebrating The Witcher's 10th birthday - hosted by good ole boy American hero Danny O'Dwyer himself. With some of the big wigs from CDPR on stage with him, its pretty good. The sound is a bit low, but if you raise the volume on your PC/whatever or download the video or audio straight up, its easily fixable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFWaojU4mA - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlu2noPwIVY&t=70s - Part 2

11. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 5, 2017, 01:38 Tipsy McStagger

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 14:41:
Ok that was classy as hell.

Exactly what I thought, cannot wait for their next big game.

10. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 21:40 FloorPie

Far, far better than watching Deckard Cain getting killed by butterfly magic.

9. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 21:11 The Half Elf

I tried 1 and 2, never could get into them, 3 is just amazing.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

8. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 19:48 Dev

Wow that's an awesome clip  

7. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 18:32 Xero

Played Witcher 3 first. Found it to be probably the greatest game I've ever played. Attempted Witcher 2 and couldn't believe what an upgrade Witcher 3 was in terms of just about EVERYTHING. Sure the visuals in Witcher 2 aren't bad when maxed out... hold up pretty nice even to today, but the gameplay is just so far behind Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 plays like the XFiles in Medieval Fantasy. Just when you thought you investigated something that seemed obvious, it turns into something completely out of the ordinary that you would of never imagined. I loved that.

Someone mentioned it was hard to get going in Witcher 3, I'll admit the same feelings, but once it picks up, it just never lets up. I think the ending of the Barron story is when I was officially hooked.

6. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 17:30 jdreyer

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

5. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 16:46 Pigeon

I liked all the games in this series. For some reason it was always hard for me to get started, but once I did it was hard to stop. Some of the best story telling out there. 3rd one is easily my favorite, solid combat, great story, and stunning visuals. There aren't too many games where I can spend hours just wandering around admiring the scenery, and still not tire of it after 200+ hours of playing. Speaking of which I'm ready to buy an island in Skellige and plop a house on it, just need a way to consistently take care of the siren and harpy problems without the expense of hiring a witcher  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 15:49 Mordecai Walfish

I still remember being so excited about this game that I ordered 5 copies of the European version for my friends and family so they would not have the inconvenience of censored titties.

I do not regret the purchase =)

3. Re: The Witcher Turning 10 Sep 4, 2017, 14:41 The Half Elf

Ok that was classy as hell.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo