Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month

The Windows Experience Blog has details on a Windows 10 Fall Creators Update they say to expect on Oct. 17th (thanks DSOGaming). This includes an update to the OS's game mode they say will actually make your PC as powerful as a console. I know, right? Here's word:

The fuel that often inspires creativity is play. With the Fall Creators Update, we’ve updated Game Mode, which allows your games to use the full processing power of your device as if it was an Xbox game console, right from a new button on the Game bar. And to take advantage of this power, we have a fantastic lineup of Xbox Play Anywhere games coming including, Cuphead, Forza Motorsport 7, Super Lucky’s Tale and Middle-earth: Shadow of War. And, if you love these Xbox play anywhere games, coming on November 7 you can play them on the most powerful console on the planet, Xbox One X.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 5, 2017, 10:23 Verno

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 19:42:
It 'only' had 3 of the highest rated titles of the year, yeah sounds like a tough year for Sony. The PS4 has been knocking it out of the park with exclusives the past 2 years. Meanwhile the Xbox has jack and shit, having disbanded most of their first party studios and cancelled or delayed pretty much everything else. Also to the other guy, the Xbox upscales 4k content too, don't expect everything in native 4k at 60fps or something. 4k exclusive glory that consists of cartoony shit like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Minecraft and Super Lucky's Tale. Wow I'm sold Rolleyes

Yeah I'm not sure why anyone would buy an Xbox One at this point. They've shown that they don't care enough to make serious long term investments in first party studios or at least some partners. The number of exclusives has dwindled to nothing. The whole MOST POWERFUL CONSOLE bit is silly at this point. Anyone who really cares about power should buy a PC but even ignoring that, what the hell can you play on the Xbox? If I want to play the best version of Destiny 2 or something I'll get it on the PC.

Looking at their line up for this year is snicker worthy, talk about phoning it in. I think they'll have as many UI relaunches as exclusives this year.

If Microsoft wants to really be in the gaming space, they need to double down like they did in the 360 era and spend a lot of money on studios/partnerships. They made a bunch of really mediocre exclusives like ReCore, Quantum Break and etc, they sold poorly so they just seemed to have given up on first party software that isn't Forza.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 20:11 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 09:49:
My PC already became as powerful as a console, just by installing Windows 10. I lost like 80% performance.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
GameMode with DirectX 12 and the power of a Free OS will remedy that problem.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

30. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 19:42 Redmask

TheEmissary wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 13:10:
Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 08:04:
Ozmodan wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 17:39:

Well the PS4 Pro can't do true 4k, it just upscales and with the Xbox I get a real 4k dvd reader. I have yet to see a PS4 exclusive I want to play either. I have the Xbox on order.

The Xbox has like 3 exclusives this year and one of them is called Super Lucky's Tale. A Microsoft backed console that puts more ads on the UI with every update and has the shittiest store ever. The Switch and PS4 have actual exclusives. I think exclusives are fucking annoying but if you want to get a console, why get the one that is handily losing this generation and has shit all for software?

So have fun playing Minecraft in 4k on the new Xbox.

I really depends on the types of games and community of players. Exclusive wise this year wasn't the best for either console. Most of the real heavy hitters were delayed to next year.

On the PS4 the only exclusive games I bought this year were Horizon Zero Dawn, Crash Bandicoot, and Uncharted Lost Legacy. On the Xbox One exclusive I bought was Halo Wars 2.

It 'only' had 3 of the highest rated titles of the year, yeah sounds like a tough year for Sony. The PS4 has been knocking it out of the park with exclusives the past 2 years. Meanwhile the Xbox has jack and shit, having disbanded most of their first party studios and cancelled or delayed pretty much everything else. Also to the other guy, the Xbox upscales 4k content too, don't expect everything in native 4k at 60fps or something. 4k exclusive glory that consists of cartoony shit like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Minecraft and Super Lucky's Tale. Wow I'm sold Rolleyes

The Xbox makes no sense to purchase unless people have friends on there and absolutely must play some lame auto-aim shooter with them. A Switch or PS4 makes a lot more sense, particularly if you already have a gaming PC.

29. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 13:10 TheEmissary

Redmask wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 08:04:

Well the PS4 Pro can't do true 4k, it just upscales and with the Xbox I get a real 4k dvd reader. I have yet to see a PS4 exclusive I want to play either. I have the Xbox on order.

The Xbox has like 3 exclusives this year and one of them is called Super Lucky's Tale. A Microsoft backed console that puts more ads on the UI with every update and has the shittiest store ever. The Switch and PS4 have actual exclusives. I think exclusives are fucking annoying but if you want to get a console, why get the one that is handily losing this generation and has shit all for software?

I really depends on the types of games and community of players. Exclusive wise this year wasn't the best for either console. Most of the real heavy hitters were delayed to next year.

On the PS4 the only exclusive games I bought this year were Horizon Zero Dawn, Crash Bandicoot, and Uncharted Lost Legacy. On the Xbox One exclusive I bought was Halo Wars 2.

28. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 09:49 Creston

My PC already became as powerful as a console, just by installing Windows 10. I lost like 80% performance.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

27. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 09:22 Avus

I am prepared to see this game mode will only benefit UWP games. So no thanks. I will only see M$ are really serious on PC gaming when they really make games for selling games.. not because they want you to use Windows 10, Windows Store, xbox live...  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

26. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 08:04 Redmask

25. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 04:47 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:15:
If you wanna buy a new "toy" then buy a fleshlight or a real doll or something but not a PC-backstabbing "toy" for lazy couch-dwelling tards from the assholes in Redmond. I'd be extra grateful if you would be this considerate.
IF you have to buy a console at all please get a PS4 Pro instead because Sony does not intentionally sabotage and screw over PC gamers every five minutes. Better exclusives, too.

This.

I had a PS4 Pro, I sent it back. It was nice to play FFXV on it in near-4k with HDR though, but the stuttering was too much to make it enjoyable in the long term.

And to be fair, the 6 Teraflops of the Xbox One X doesn't give it enough juice to do real 4k with most games either. That puts it sliiightly better than a GTX 980, which is a smidge over the absolute minimum for VR.

Also, there are far more PS4 exclusives that look good than Xbox ones... Forza? Cuphead? aaand I'm done. Ps$ on the otherhand has that new Spiderman, that new zombie game (with 1,000,000 AI zombies on-screen, can't remember the name), plus Horizon Zero Dawn which just looks incredible.

I came to the realisation that I just wanted a console to play multiplayer against other people with controllers. Been playing a bunch of Watch Dogs 2 from my couch, and the seamless MP is great, but I just get smoked by players with KB+M. I'm looking forward to being on a level playing field for CERTAIN multi-platform games that I might have more fun playing from my couch. Especially ones that play better with a controller, such as open world 3rd person games (like RDR2 coming up).

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

24. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 04:15 Prez

...which allows your games to use the full processing power of your device as if it was an Xbox game console...
Ah, Microsoft. The ever out of touch, clueless Microsoft. Don't ever change; you're so adorable.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 02:27 Nucas

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 01:47:
It was over as soon as the first server locked game appeared. All the stupid bullshit exists because there is no free market in our world.

i mean, i guess. they definitely started taking more liberties in the mid 2000s, with "limited game activations"and so on.

but really you can say "it was all over" the first time someone bought any game with a EULA. this industry has always tried to make it clear to users they're paying money for a license, not buying a product. they've just gotten better at holding the leash.

22. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 01:47 Suppa7

Kxmode wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 21:00:
I don't want my PC to be like an Xbox game console! That's why I'm a PC gamer.

You can thank everyone who bought everquest, wow and mmo's over the years and everyone who licked the balls of valve and gabe newell with steam.

It was over as soon as the first server locked game appeared. All the stupid bullshit exists because there is no free market in our world, in a post internet age the only way to hold a company accountable is if you meet the requirements for having a market:

1) Your customers are intelligent enough to participate
2) They are close enough to the business to effect its policies.

None of which are true.

21. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 21:00 Kxmode

I don't want my PC to be like an Xbox game console! That's why I'm a PC gamer.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

20. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 20:33 Lorcin

Lol game bar???? Oh you mean the second thing you turn off after Cortana on any windows 10 build? Good luck with that one M$  

19. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 20:21 Dev

MeanJim wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:44:
Does this mean that Windows is going to re-enable all of the "features" I disabled to make it less annoying to use? Does mean everyone that knows me is going to be calling (again) after this update wondering why shit changed? It happened with the Anniversary Update, but I had installed that before it was forced out. I skipped on updating early, so I don't know what changes will be visible. There are some under the hood changes I know are coming and I'm looking forward to those, but it's the stuff you see (UI, etc.) that I'm dreading. It feels like I just got everything the way I want it.

Well keep in mind MS wants you to do a system upgrade twice a year like the anniversary update, creators update, etc. So yeah, I'd bet everyone of those twice annual upgrades are a good chance for MS to screw the settings around.

18. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 18:44 MeanJim

Does this mean that Windows is going to re-enable all of the "features" I disabled to make it less annoying to use? Does mean everyone that knows me is going to be calling (again) after this update wondering why shit changed? It happened with the Anniversary Update, but I had installed that before it was forced out. I skipped on updating early, so I don't know what changes will be visible. There are some under the hood changes I know are coming and I'm looking forward to those, but it's the stuff you see (UI, etc.) that I'm dreading. It feels like I just got everything the way I want it.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 17:39 Ozmodan

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:15:
If you wanna buy a new "toy" then buy a fleshlight or a real doll or something but not a PC-backstabbing "toy" for lazy couch-dwelling tards from the assholes in Redmond. I'd be extra grateful if you would be this considerate.
IF you have to buy a console at all please get a PS4 Pro instead because Sony does not intentionally sabotage and screw over PC gamers every five minutes. Better exclusives, too.

16. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 17:39 Kajetan

Jivaro wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 17:25:
I know this might cost me my PC Gamer card but if a feature like this can make my mid-range gaming PC perform better when all I need it for is that particular game AND I can turn it on and off at will, I would be willing to at least give it a go.
If ... and when, probably not enough to be noticable.

15. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 17:38 HorrorScope

They're solving a problem that has been taken care of many many years ago. Welcome MS, sit now and learn.  

14. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 17:33 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 17:25:
I know this might cost me my PC Gamer card but if a feature like this can make my mid-range gaming PC perform better when all I need it for is that particular game AND I can turn it on and off at will, I would be willing to at least give it a go. A cynical and not at all optimistic go...but a go all the same.

Than again, I usually own at least one if not 2 consoles every "generation", not including portables. I buy the hardware I need to play the games I want to play. Usually Sony and Nintendo hardware but I did own the original XBOX. I skipped the last 2 Nintendo and MS consoles though and put the extra money into my PC, so if MS actually makes the OS a better gaming platform in some way I am all for it. I am just skeptical because they say that shit all the time and then it's crap or buggy or both....and then they just cancel it and leave everyone high and dry.

Anand did a test of the gamer mode on the Ryzen CPU and found either no difference or it ran slower. Hopefully this turns out better.

Stay a while, and listen.

13. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 17:25 Jivaro

I know this might cost me my PC Gamer card but if a feature like this can make my mid-range gaming PC perform better when all I need it for is that particular game AND I can turn it on and off at will, I would be willing to at least give it a go. A cynical and not at all optimistic go...but a go all the same.

Than again, I usually own at least one if not 2 consoles every "generation", not including portables. I buy the hardware I need to play the games I want to play. Usually Sony and Nintendo hardware but I did own the original XBOX. I skipped the last 2 Nintendo and MS consoles though and put the extra money into my PC, so if MS actually makes the OS a better gaming platform in some way I am all for it. I am just skeptical because they say that shit all the time and then it's crap or buggy or both....and then they just cancel it and leave everyone high and dry.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo