Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here is Valve's accounting of the 10 bestselling titles on Steam for last week:

1. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  2. XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  4. Absolver
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. The Escapists 2
  8. XCOM 2
  9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
  10. Divinity: Original Sin 2

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2017, 13:46 Flatline

Saboth wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:27:
I bought XCom 2 last year, but didn't install it until a few weeks ago. Played it for about 5 hours then uninstalled it. Didn't like the timed missions, and didn't like the overall countdown to the dark events that weaken you with negatives over time.

WOTC lets you double the countdown timers in missions (and they're a lot rarer now) and doubles the avatar project track.

Or with xcom 2 you can mod it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2017, 10:00 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:11:
I bought XCom 2 last year, but didn't install it until a few weeks ago. Played it for about 5 hours then uninstalled it. Didn't like the timed missions, and didn't like the overall countdown to the dark events that weaken you with negatives over time.

If you liked XCOM, I'd recommend you give XCOM2 another try. Worst case scenario, you can install one of the mods that removes or greatly increases the timers. For the most part, the timers are doable, and later missions have no timers. Dark Events do give negative attributes, but usually you can push back the event with successful missions/raids, or minimize it.

In WotC, you can actually choose to start with second wave options that double the Avatar clock and double the mission timers. The mission timers one is probably advisable, though honestly this time around I played no-cheats on that, and never had any issues completing stuff easily within even the smallest time limit (7 turns on some missions), and the Avatar clock now has so many counters it's kind of become pointless. I keep the clock at around 3 pips, just to piss the aliens off.

"Oh, you made some progress on your little project again? Here." *runs covert op that takes off 2 pips.*

Edit: Dev already beat me to it.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 4, 2017, 09:56 Creston

J wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:21:
Flatline wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:04:
Really digging War of the Chosen it has managed to fix most of the flaws I had with the original XCOM2.
Did they fix the terrible slowdowns?

Yeah, they're gone, fortunately.

I love War of the Chosen, but the pacing in it is badly off. Once you've killed all three Chosen, you're probably left with at least 7 or 8 missions to do before the end, and nothing in those is a challenge anymore except for the last one. It becomes kind of a slog.

I think it would have been better had they had one (random) Chosen bug you during the early game, two of them during the mid game, and then all three at the end. Right now, if you're unlucky, you can wake two (or God forbid even all three if you're not paying attention) of them up in your first month, and just get absolutely bullied for three to four months, then you go in and wipe them out and *deflating balloon sound* there goes your challenge.

Hopefully they'll make some adjustments in a patch. I'm still in my first playthrough and I'm honestly thinking about just starting over.

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 21:52 Dev

Saboth wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 21:11:
Dev wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 20:26:
Less timed missions in this expansion, as well as more options to reduce the avatar counter.

Also, right from the menu when you click start new game you can click to double the timer on the advent/dark events, and double the mission timer length. It still lets you get the achievements too.

The mission timer is also easily editable in the ini files if that's not enough. But I've found doubling it gives plenty of time, instead of feeling super tight, so I can take my time advancing tactically and covering fire, etc.

So if those were the only issues, click two options in the start game menu and bang that's done.

Think I'll reinstall and give it another shot, checking those options. I'm not saying I couldn't hack it, it just reduced my enjoyment by feeling under pressure all of the time. Thanks for the tips.
These options were under, "New Game", then on the difficulty picking screen click "Toggle Advanced Options View". The two at the bottom are the timer ones
(this is for WotC version, though I think the base game had something similar if I recall right)

Also, in general for anyone reading this if they have this issue: Apparently this is a common thing, to not be able to figure out how to launch WotC (a lot of negative reviews relating to this lol). When the launcher comes up before the game starts, click the WotC button on bottom of launcher.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 21:40 Rhett

The time pressure is just part of the game. It forces you to make tough decisions like "do I want this now, and deal with this problem for the forseeable future? Or do I need to take care of other things before I do this?"

And there are a lot of those. It gives you a lot of power over what can happen, and a lot of decisions to make. WOTC might be a lot to take in if you haven't played a good portion of at least one campaign in regular XCOM 2 though.

Also base mission timers are much more forgiving now. I think they were increased by default, plus there's many ways to affect them in-game. Nevermind modding, and INI editing (super easy).

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 21:11 Saboth

Dev wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 20:26:
Less timed missions in this expansion, as well as more options to reduce the avatar counter.

Also, right from the menu when you click start new game you can click to double the timer on the advent/dark events, and double the mission timer length. It still lets you get the achievements too.

The mission timer is also easily editable in the ini files if that's not enough. But I've found doubling it gives plenty of time, instead of feeling super tight, so I can take my time advancing tactically and covering fire, etc.

So if those were the only issues, click two options in the start game menu and bang that's done.

Think I'll reinstall and give it another shot, checking those options. I'm not saying I couldn't hack it, it just reduced my enjoyment by feeling under pressure all of the time. Thanks for the tips.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 21:00 jdreyer

Rhialto wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:32:
Anyone know why they choose to go ALL CAPS for that title? Just curious.

IT'S JUST THAT GOOD

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 20:26 Dev

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 18:53 MeanJim

Nice to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 on this list.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 18:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

If you liked XCOM, I'd recommend you give XCOM2 another try. Worst case scenario, you can install one of the mods that removes or greatly increases the timers. For the most part, the timers are doable, and later missions have no timers. Dark Events do give negative attributes, but usually you can push back the event with successful missions/raids, or minimize it.

XCOM/XCOM 2 are really impressive even vanilla, and both have healthy mod scenes that can tailor the games further to your liking.

Somewhat on topic: I'll get War of the Chosen at some point, probably going to run through D:OS 2 first though.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 16:27 Saboth

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 15:55 Frijoles

MT Silver wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 15:33:
What impressed me the most were the loading times. They went from around 20 seconds on my system to 3. :O

Which is good because of all the reloading I do and.. erm.. I know. I'm ashamed of myself.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 15:33 MT Silver

J wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:21:
There are still some but it's much improved.
What impressed me the most were the loading times. They went from around 20 seconds on my system to 3. :O

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 14:43 RedEye9

Rhialto wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:32:
it looks better

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
"Nullity's Law"
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 14:32 Rhialto

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 14:21 J

Flatline wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 14:04:
Really digging War of the Chosen it has managed to fix most of the flaws I had with the original XCOM2.

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 14:19 Dev

Huge surprise at number 1! lol

I've been having a lot of fun playing xcom2 WotC.
If anyone mods, here's a nice list of mods compatible with the game
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/6wrkgz/wotc_compatible_mods_master_list_please_submit/

Haven't seen if this AMA was posted, but it's a fun read
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6wkiqj/were_the_developers_of_xcom_2_war_of_the_chosen/

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 14:04 Flatline

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo