Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 19:28 MeanJim

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:58:
Windows 10 has so many annoying intermittent issues that Win 7 never had.
- put to sleep, and it will hang indefinitely with the hard drive running. Have to reboot.
- wakes up from sleep and the network driver is completely missing. Not deactivated, but gone entirely. Have to reboot.
- sometimes it loses the ability to recognize USB devices. Even if I replug them, it won't see them. Have to reboot.

This was a clean install. My hardware is pretty standard. I don't have a lot of software other than games loaded.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:12:
I had two major problems with it so far. Well, actually, three. The first was when I upgraded to the first major pack and it removed my USB filters. This wiped all connected USB drives (my eSATA ones were fine) so I had to restore one or two TB manually. Later, when restoring a backup, it wrote to the wrong drive (when it rebooted to the process) and that drive was one of two in a RAID-0. Again, had to restore 1-2 TB of shit because of that. Third, I stupidly put it on my one server, where I discovered that update basically gimped your ability to directly run things on startup. Yes there are ways around that but it's ridiculous that I was cost about a week of work over those issues in the last YEAR. I did get it for gaming reasons but so far there's really no gain for that despite the promises, even on proper DX12 cards (AMD) you don't really gain anything you just lose less.

I've had issues with Win10, but none of those. I put my system to sleep when I'm not home or sleeping myself, and usually reboot only once a month. I've had a few hangs when it tries to sleep, but it has always been caused by a misbehaving program.

I generally like a clean boot and don't run things on startup, but I do have a couple of programs that I set to run at startup and no update stopped them.

MeanJim on Steam
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 3, 16:12 Re: Sunday Tech Bits jdreyer
  2. Sep 3, 16:31  Re: Sunday Tech Bits SlimRam
  4. Sep 3, 17:27   Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jivaro
  18. Sep 4, 12:47   Re: Sunday Tech Bits Creston
  3. Sep 3, 16:58  Re: Sunday Tech Bits NewMaxx
>> 6. Sep 3, 19:28   Re: Sunday Tech Bits MeanJim
  8. Sep 3, 21:27    Re: Sunday Tech Bits NewMaxx
  12. Sep 4, 00:27     Re: Sunday Tech Bits MeanJim
  13. Sep 4, 09:30      Re: Sunday Tech Bits Burrito of Peace