Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Another Creators update Sep 3, 2017, 10:04 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 03:24:
Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 20:13:
In the meantime, 1703 broke massive amounts of security apps at my work, to the point where we've reverted back to 1607.

Basically MS is saying to the enterprise "Fuck you, here's a Service Pack every five months to fuck your shit up, and you're gonna like it because where else are you gonna go?"

Pretty sure it's not mandatory or automatic for corporate customers, is it?

No, but if you don't update your build, eventually your security patches stop working too. I mean, you could choose to stay on 1607, but how long until all your updates dry up? (Or, for that matter, MS's premium support tells you that you need to get on the current build.)

You can't postpone it indefinitely.
Security updates 'drying' up for a particular build are a not an unknown and Microsoft publishs that eol information.
Unless you licensed additional long term support or are running the Enterprise version you will eventually have to install the next "happier" edition of the os.

But you dont need to install that version on its release day, at least let it cook in the wild for a few months while microsoft or 3rd parties provide fixes for issues. And the IT department should thoroughly test any OS change before deployment.
As much as i like to bash microsoft, your companies IT department is at fault with its handling of the new OS and that would lead me to believe that the IT department has more problems than you know about.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Another Creators update Sep 2, 2017, 14:54 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 03:24:
In the meantime, 1703 broke massive amounts of security apps at my work, to the point where we've reverted back to 1607.

Basically MS is saying to the enterprise "Fuck you, here's a Service Pack every five months to fuck your shit up, and you're gonna like it because where else are you gonna go?"

No, but if you don't update your build, eventually your security patches stop working too. I mean, you could choose to stay on 1607, but how long until all your updates dry up? (Or, for that matter, MS's premium support tells you that you need to get on the current build.)

You can't postpone it indefinitely.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 14:49 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 14:25:
Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 21:36:
Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 16:36:
MrBone wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 10:43:
So, if someone doesn't follow the group-think, it becomes hate-speech. Brilliant idea, comrades.

I mean, this is directly calling Nazism hate speech. You're arguing slippery slope for calling Nazi propaganda hate speech?

And you think it's not a slippery slope to give IT companies the definition power over what is racism and what isn't?

I mean, if a court has to decide what is or isn't and THEN it gets censored, fair enough. But as I understand this goes a lot further than that, and has absolutely ZERO legal checks.

A court can hit you with sanctions, potentially criminal.

A corporation can choose not to do business with you. We've had this discussion, and you were the one who kept spitting out slippery slope arguments while claiming they weren't slippery slope, right? Who kept saying "but what if?!" then saying it wasn't a slippery slope argument?

The full force of your intellectual ability... amounts to trying to ad-hominem me because I look at possibility consequences in the future because I see a threat of these incentives to free-speech. Very impressive Of course, you also basically defended racial segregation just now. Only now it ain't race, now it is opinions that don't match your ideology.

I guess Mr Bone was right, all hail the group-think.

Which ad-hom did I use, specifically? I see no ad-homs. However, you did go with "the full force of your intellectual ability," which is an attempt at a subtle one, so...

Also amusing that you give credence to the ad-hom fallacy but not the slippery slope one. Again, this is corporations not wanting to do business with white supremacists. That seems perfectly reasonable. Your attempts to make it a slippery slope and "racial segregation" are just odd. I'm not accusing you of being a white supremacist by defending these, so stop with it.

The bottom line is a company doesn't want to do business with white supremacists, and it shouldn't, and somehow you turn this into wrong-think slippery slopes. White supremacy is far beyond "wrong think."

And if you want to be taken seriously, stop whining about fallacies while using them, not only other ones but the specific one you're whining about.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 14:25 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:58:
So, if someone doesn't follow the group-think, it becomes hate-speech. Brilliant idea, comrades.

I mean, this is directly calling Nazism hate speech. You're arguing slippery slope for calling Nazi propaganda hate speech?

And you think it's not a slippery slope to give IT companies the definition power over what is racism and what isn't?

I mean, if a court has to decide what is or isn't and THEN it gets censored, fair enough. But as I understand this goes a lot further than that, and has absolutely ZERO legal checks.

A corporation can choose not to do business with you. We've had this discussion, and you were the one who kept spitting out slippery slope arguments while claiming they weren't slippery slope, right? Who kept saying "but what if?!" then saying it wasn't a slippery slope argument?

The full force of your intellectual ability... amounts to trying to ad-hominem me because I look at possibility consequences in the future because I see a threat of these incentives to free-speech. Very impressive Of course, you also basically defended racial segregation just now. Only now it ain't race, now it is opinions that don't match your ideology.

I guess Mr Bone was right, all hail the group-think.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 2, 2017, 09:58 Beamer

-------------

9. Re: Another Creators update Sep 2, 2017, 03:24 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Another Creators update Sep 1, 2017, 22:29 Dacote

How dare you sir.
Microsoft bestowed Windows 10 on us for free, Free i say.
Not only was it free but it comes with edge, game mode and dx12.
You will use it and You Will Like IT!

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 1, 2017, 21:36 eRe4s3r

6. Another Creators update Sep 1, 2017, 20:13 Creston

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 1, 2017, 16:36 Beamer

Let's save the "but what if!" for when something happens, because we can argue "but what if!" about literally every decision anyone ever made. "He ate a bag of doritos, but what if he'd eaten his dog!"

-------------

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 1, 2017, 16:26 DangerDog

So you're hating on anti-hate speech.

going to have to crack down on you for that!

3. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 1, 2017, 12:02 jdreyer

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 10:40:
Nice those monitors are finally out.

I'm waiting on the ASUS version
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

Yeah, that's got to be the monitor at the top of my list. The only way it could be better would be OLED. Just got to wait for the price to come down a bit.

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 1, 2017, 10:43 MrBone

1. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 1, 2017, 10:40 {PH}88fingers

Nice those monitors are finally out.

I'm waiting on the ASUS version
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo