16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Sep 2, 2017, 00:09
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2017, 00:09
Sep 2, 2017, 00:09

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 18:49:
I think the far bigger problem is that I'd never believe anyone calling me if they said they are from "Amazon" and got my phone number from my "bank" ;p
Exactly, that would be an instant hangup before they got 3 words out of their mouth.
The majority of numbers I don't recognize go to voicemail, no message left equals no worries.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Sep 1, 2017, 18:49
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 18:49
Sep 1, 2017, 18:49

Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 11:26:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 01:05:
You post here so regularly that I just randomly assumed you would do so with a tablet at least SOME of the time But if not then that's fine too. But by phone? Amazon doesn't have my phone number.... what for? To call me? Like, a real person? From India? No thanks

And yeah, they really gotta do something against 3rd party counterfeit resellers. It's extremely hard to tell where something is coming from on Amazon. But at least in Germany they gotta take the thing back no questions asked if it's counterfeit.

Amazon most certainly has your phone number. And if you some inexplicable reason they didn't they could still easily contact you through your CC provider or bank.

I think the far bigger problem is that I'd never believe anyone calling me if they said they are from "Amazon" and got my phone number from my "bank" ;p

Sep 1, 2017, 17:24
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 17:24
Sep 1, 2017, 17:24

I'm surprised Amazon found out about this before the eclipse. With their incredible variety of products, there's no way to test everything that they sell, especially when items are listed the same as others and then the product itself is a fake.

The people who listed the glasses should be the target, not Amazon. But Amazon has MONEY, whereas the crap glasses dealer is likely nowhere to be found.

Sep 1, 2017, 17:22
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 17:22
Sep 1, 2017, 17:22

If true, I think this is a major issue that could very well cause Amazon a lot of grief. Oh sure they'll try to write themselves out of liability, but that doesn't always hold up in court.

Sep 1, 2017, 11:43
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:43
Sep 1, 2017, 11:43

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 00:33:
Amazon's lawyers doubtlessly considered this kind of eventuality. In this case, it probably reads something like this: these were counterfeit glasses, therefore against Amazon's policies, which are made clear to third-party vendors. Through those policies, they took reasonable steps to avoid customers being subjected to counterfeit goods. They made a reasonable attempt to contact purchasers (the term 'reasonable' in this case being one that is almost certainly well-researched by Amazon's legal team), and are therefore not responsible.

IE - they sold them against our rules, therefore it is their fault.

It won't go anywhere. Which is a shame, as counterfeiting through Amazon has become a major, major issue. I won't buy shirts from them anymore after two out of two turned out to be scams.

Yes it will. It's known as "contributory negligence". Amazon holds some responsibility. How much will be determined by the courts.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate up hill." - Blade

Sep 1, 2017, 11:26
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:26
Sep 1, 2017, 11:26

You post here so regularly that I just randomly assumed you would do so with a tablet at least SOME of the time But if not then that's fine too. But by phone? Amazon doesn't have my phone number.... what for? To call me? Like, a real person? From India? No thanks

And yeah, they really gotta do something against 3rd party counterfeit resellers. It's extremely hard to tell where something is coming from on Amazon. But at least in Germany they gotta take the thing back no questions asked if it's counterfeit.

Amazon most certainly has your phone number. And if you some inexplicable reason they didn't they could still easily contact you through your CC provider or bank.

Sep 1, 2017, 09:36
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 09:36
Sep 1, 2017, 09:36

Asmodai wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 09:11:

Recalls happen, but if it'll only work as an excuse if Amazon can prove the person saw the email and used the glasses anyway.

While I agree 100% with your sentiment, unfortunately I doubt it works that way. Car manufacturers get out from tons of shit with their cars just by playing the "We made every effort to notify person so and so of a recall for this particular issue." and the courts accept that as valid. So I doubt Amazon would be held to a higher standard, though a court may rule that sending an email is not enough, and Amazon should have sent a snail mail letter as well.

Sep 1, 2017, 09:11
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 09:11
Sep 1, 2017, 09:11

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:17:
And later on
August 19, 2017 e-mail notification that glasses were recalled

(Eclipse was 21st..)

So basically that's some blokes who didn't read their emails for 2 days..... that got partially blinded (although maybe not permanently?) from using a recalled product. That's some shitty luck but I can't really blame Amazon here, they did recall the glasses and they can't do much more than notify you per email...

And who the hell doesn't read (or smell) their emails for 2 entire days or 48 hours...

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

When you sell a product specifically designed for safety, and you warrant the product can be used to safely do something that is otherwise hazardous, you should be fucking sure that the product does as advertised. Saying that people not reading their email is an excuse for no liability is completely silly.

What if they were out of communications? What if they got their new glasses and immediately donned them to look up at the sun prior to the recall? What if an overzealous email filter caught the email and filed it in the bin? Or any one of a dozen different reasons why a person may not be notified (eg. Might be like me, a person not welded to electronic notifications).

Recalls happen, but if it'll only work as an excuse if Amazon can prove the person saw the email and used the glasses anyway.

Sep 1, 2017, 08:50
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 08:50
Sep 1, 2017, 08:50

Unfortunately I don't think they will do anything until it hurts their profits more than fixing the problem will. Maybe if they get sued by enough people with burned out retinas they'll take some measures to authenticate merchandise.

Sep 1, 2017, 08:42
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 08:42
Sep 1, 2017, 08:42

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:17:
So basically that's some blokes who didn't read their emails for 2 days..... that got partially blinded (although maybe not permanently?)

Partially and permanently have no relation to each other. They have been permanently partially blinded. Damage from solar burns on your retina does not heal.

Sep 1, 2017, 01:05
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 01:05
Sep 1, 2017, 01:05

Sep 1, 2017, 00:33
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 00:33
Sep 1, 2017, 00:33
JTW

Amazon's lawyers doubtlessly considered this kind of eventuality. In this case, it probably reads something like this: these were counterfeit glasses, therefore against Amazon's policies, which are made clear to third-party vendors. Through those policies, they took reasonable steps to avoid customers being subjected to counterfeit goods. They made a reasonable attempt to contact purchasers (the term 'reasonable' in this case being one that is almost certainly well-researched by Amazon's legal team), and are therefore not responsible.

IE - they sold them against our rules, therefore it is their fault.

It won't go anywhere. Which is a shame, as counterfeiting through Amazon has become a major, major issue. I won't buy shirts from them anymore after two out of two turned out to be scams.

Aug 31, 2017, 22:39
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2017, 22:39
Aug 31, 2017, 22:39

I only check my email once a week. Mainly on a Friday or Saturday. I've been known to skip it for weeks at a time. With something this serious they should be getting on the fucking phone and chasing people down until they find them. The other problems are Amazon's lack of dealing with counterfeit items. Also not clearly showing who third party sellers are. I just went through this shit with them on a purchase I made from what I thought was Amazon but was some Chinese seller. I had to open a dispute with MC to reverse the charge, and only then did they capitulate and refund my money - Amazon that is. The problem is still ongoing. They could easily fix it but they don't. And their CS - in the Philipines and India - exists only to give customers the runaround. This is why I'm not buying stuff from Amazon anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Aug 31, 2017, 21:17
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2017, 21:17
Aug 31, 2017, 21:17

Dacote wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:10:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:04:
cause or caused

That is the question, and I am too lazy to click the link
If only I could see what you wrote, I am typing this by sense of smell.

That is impressive ;p

But yeah, I clicked on it.. first line
partially blinded

And later on
August 19, 2017 e-mail notification that glasses were recalled

(Eclipse was 21st..)

So basically that's some blokes who didn't read their emails for 2 days..... that got partially blinded (although maybe not permanently?) from using a recalled product. That's some shitty luck but I can't really blame Amazon here, they did recall the glasses and they can't do much more than notify you per email...

And who the hell doesn't read (or smell) their emails for 2 entire days or 48 hours...

Aug 31, 2017, 21:10
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2017, 21:10
Aug 31, 2017, 21:10

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:04:
cause or caused

If only I could see what you wrote, I am typing this by sense of smell.

Aug 31, 2017, 21:04
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2017, 21:04
Aug 31, 2017, 21:04

cause or caused

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older