Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Like most gaming mice, mine features on-the-fly DPI switching through a couple of dedicated buttons behind the scroll wheel. This is a feature I never intentionally use, and I have always assumed that this is for players on a higher level (which is probably correct) for changing sensitivity while sniping or during delicate maneuvers. For me it's always been a random surprise when I accidentally change DPI while at work or play. I was watching a stream from Gamescom with MFPallytime and DunkTrain where DunkTrain helped Pally fix a sensitivity issue and said this is a feature he always shuts off on his mice. It actually made me feel silly for waiting until hearing that to disable it on mine, since it's so obvious, but I guess was holding out hope that I would suddenly become a pro-level player and take advantage of it. All it took was an actual pro saying he didn't like it to make me feel free to turn it off. I feel like such a sheep.

Sheepish Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Swipe Skate.
Stories: Terry Pratchett's unfinished works flattened by steamroller.
Best Buy Apologizes For Selling $42 Packs of Water While CNBC Asks If Disaster Capitalism Is So Bad.
Science: Why Those Floating Fire Ant Colonies in Texas Are Such Bad News.
Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Agbeni Infections Linked to Pet Turtles.
Media: SUPER TROOPERS 2 Official Red Band Trailer (2018).
Exclusive: Blade Runner 2049 Short Film Reveals What Happened in 2036.
Mini Games - Epic NPC Man.
Follow-up: The desolated remains of the Rio Olympic venues.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 20:03 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 09:11:
I ashamedly admit I didn't. In the new setup there was a link to "Account" and it didn't occur to me I'd get anything different from clicking on the account icon on the opposite side of the screen. Bad assumption on my part.

I didn't notice there was a 2nd page and you had already figured it out when I replied last night. I was wondering if there were different versions of the new YouTube since it randomly switches between old and new for me.

Orogogus wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:25:
V55 of Firefox just ganked two of my extensions -- Re-Pagination and DownThemAll -- and all but one are now marked Legacy, and will stop working in November unless their authors update them.

DownThemAll still works for me. It did mark all but 3 of my addons legacy, but so far they all still work.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 14:25 Orogogus

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:59:
At least it was well publicized.
I am all for a better firefox and the newer versions are faster, more stable and moar better. They are moving forward, if a few extensions are casualties, no loss.
some info
latest info
TLDR More power to em.

Sort of well-publicized. The November cut-off was announced, and the extensions menu shows you which ones are going to bite the dust -- nearly all of them, but oh well. On the other hand, 55 just nuked at least two of mine that I know of, apparently because Mozilla is cutting off APIs ahead of 57, so that's not great.

Also, that second link suggests that 80% of the extensions out there would be casualties if they flipped the switch today. Big ones like NoScript and Adblock Plus are on the dead list, with promises that they'll be ready sooner or later.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 14:23 jdreyer

Killes wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 07:42:
Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:34:
BobBob wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:30:
What are your thoughts on "clicker training" for dogs? Book

It seems complicated to me, but I'm sure it works......A click for paws on the ground to me is the same as just telling the dog "GROUND!"

But I know a lot of trainers swear by it, so I'm sure it works. Just always seemed a little overly complicated to me.

Clicker training is not as complicated as some make it out to be.

The basis is simple, it is all about positive association: the click is there to mark and encourage wanted behavior from the dog.

How ? The click sound is associated to a reward. So when the dog hears the Click he feels good / excited.
The click is quick and precise to deliver (more than a vocal cue, which can also work on the same principle, but the click is faster and more consistent)

Applied : the dog does something you like *click* - the dog is associating the action you like to a positive feeling (hearing he click) - ergo he starts really liking doing this thing (pavlovian response).

The Click-Something good association needs to be kept fresh / charged up with sessions of Click->Treat or Click->Ball whatever the dogs favorite rewards and also of course during its use (but you do not have to rush a treat out EVERy time you click).

So to me the clicker is completely separate from the command. It is the way of rewarding the performing the said command (eg ground).

Caesar Milan is a showman first a foremost, some of his theories and methods are scientifically discredited, not that they necessarily do not work, but they are needlessly stressful for the dog (and this sucks, if we can do it gentler/better we should especially if the results are non the worse, there is no justification for other methods in that case) (other than it makes good TV!! )

Great post.

Stay a while, and listen.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 13:59 RedEye9

Orogogus wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:25:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 11:08:
Google Chrome works fine with Youtube, it's just Firefox.

I've tried all the suggestions with no luck, so I tried a uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Still no luck, so contemplating a Refresh, which will create a new /default . I worried it will delete all my Addons, so made a backup Mozbackup and screenshot.

V55 of Firefox just ganked two of my extensions -- Re-Pagination and DownThemAll -- and all but one are now marked Legacy, and will stop working in November unless their authors update them.

I went to look up why this happened; Mozilla is apparently busy building their perfect browser, and could hardly care less if the people actually using it are unhappy. I looked up how to revert my browser and their page is all, blah blah bad idea blah security vulnerabilities blah, and maybe you should be using Edge or Chrome, asshole.

They've got a pretty bad case of the open source attitude.
At least it was well publicized.
I am all for a better firefox and the newer versions are faster, more stable and moar better. They are moving forward, if a few extensions are casualties, no loss.
some info
latest info
TLDR More power to em.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 13:25 Orogogus

I've tried all the suggestions with no luck, so I tried a uninstall, reboot, reinstall. Still no luck, so contemplating a Refresh, which will create a new /default . I worried it will delete all my Addons, so made a backup Mozbackup and screenshot.

I went to look up why this happened; Mozilla is apparently busy building their perfect browser, and could hardly care less if the people actually using it are unhappy. I looked up how to revert my browser and their page is all, blah blah bad idea blah security vulnerabilities blah, and maybe you should be using Edge or Chrome, asshole.

They've got a pretty bad case of the open source attitude.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 13:12 RedEye9

Before doing a refresh I would research blowing up firefox.
Google complete firefox removal, Firefox profile and hidden folder removal, creating a new firefox profile to fix firefox problems, etc..
Sucks to have to refresh your os because the browser is gangkie but that might be your only solution.
Keep us posted, thanks. And I don't think anyone would mind if you posted updates in the daily out of the blue, because resolutions for issues like yours end up helping everyone in the long run.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 11:35 BobBob

Killes wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 07:42:
Caesar Milan is a showman first a foremost, some of his theories and methods are scientifically discredited, not that they necessarily do not work, but they are needlessly stressful for the dog (and this sucks, if we can do it gentler/better we should especially if the results are non the worse, there is no justification for other methods in that case) (other than it makes good TV!! )

Yah. I might be being stubborn, but I'll watch that guy for dogs as much as I'll watch Dr. Phil to handle family matters.

Meaning never ...

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 11:08 Acleacius

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 09:30 YourNick

I don't care for the idea of DPI switching. DPI should always be at the highest to yeild more control. What should be switched is how much turning should be done per high resolution dot. I had a zoom script in Quake where the lower the fov the lower the turn speed, something like 3-4 levels.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 09:11 Mr. Tact

MeanJim wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 04:21:
I was being serious. Do you not see this?
I ashamedly admit I didn't. In the new setup there was a link to "Account" and it didn't occur to me I'd get anything different from clicking on the account icon on the opposite side of the screen. Bad assumption on my part.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 07:42 Killes

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:34:
BobBob wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:30:
What are your thoughts on "clicker training" for dogs? Book

It seems complicated to me, but I'm sure it works......A click for paws on the ground to me is the same as just telling the dog "GROUND!"

But I know a lot of trainers swear by it, so I'm sure it works. Just always seemed a little overly complicated to me.

Clicker training is not as complicated as some make it out to be.

The basis is simple, it is all about positive association: the click is there to mark and encourage wanted behavior from the dog.

How ? The click sound is associated to a reward. So when the dog hears the Click he feels good / excited.
The click is quick and precise to deliver (more than a vocal cue, which can also work on the same principle, but the click is faster and more consistent)

Applied : the dog does something you like *click* - the dog is associating the action you like to a positive feeling (hearing he click) - ergo he starts really liking doing this thing (pavlovian response).

The Click-Something good association needs to be kept fresh / charged up with sessions of Click->Treat or Click->Ball whatever the dogs favorite rewards and also of course during its use (but you do not have to rush a treat out EVERy time you click).

So to me the clicker is completely separate from the command. It is the way of rewarding the performing the said command (eg ground).

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2017, 07:57.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 04:21 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 17:43:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 16:35:
Click the button with the three vertical dots next to the sign in button and select "Restore old YouTube" from the menu.
I suspect you were not being serious, in the off chance you were -- I see no such option.

Change sucks.

I was being serious. Do you not see this?

MeanJim on Steam

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 00:25 Mr. Tact

Orogogus wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 17:49:
No, his description is accurate, assuming you're not signed in. If you are, then it's at the bottom of the dropdown when you click on your account icon.
Thank you.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 21:47 BobBob

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 20:44:
BobBob wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 19:36:
Bought this. Nerd with dog.
Ok, that's cool! Is pup chipped?

The chip will be updated with final adoption documents this Saturday! Allthumbsup

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 21:23 RedEye9

Super Troopers 2, woot!
Blade Runner prequel is pinching my hype nipples.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 20:44 RedEye9

BobBob wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 19:36:
Ok, that's cool! Is pup chipped?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 19:36 BobBob

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 19:27 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 15:23:
Lawyers urge Texas homeowners to file Harvey claims before law change

Ahh, the good ol' GOP! Hard at work as usual protecting the rank and file from big evil insurance companies. Wry

What a shitty law. Yup, written up by insurance company lawyers and passed by the Republicans there.

I'm sure that's what people in and around Houston are thinking right now: Gotta file my claim!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 19:23 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 14:15:
Acleacius wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 13:46:
What's with the new youtube, it's just a white page with video. There's no posts at the bottom nor a list of relevant videos on the right. Are we required to log in to turn it off? I never do, hate being tracked.
Is it browser reset / cookie clearing time?
Or are you running one or multiple ad/site blockers like Ad-Block, No-Script, U-Block Origin?
Have you restarted your computer?
Have your tried another browser?

Starting with the basics. Love it!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 17:59 Acleacius

@eRe4s3r, no it's a completely white blank page with the video in the center(more or less).

@RedEye9, I am running some script blockers but the only script I'm blocking is doubleclick.net. I don't think I've got a cookie issue, most are deleted every time I close FF. I'll try to reboot.

@Mr. Tact, I'm sort of glad you see it too, since I'm not the only one. But I wish neither of us was seeing it.

@MeanJim, I don't see it, so I might have to log in to find it.

@Creston, All right, I'll keep working on it.

Thanks all.

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo