Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 Open Beta

Open beta testing is now underway for the Windows edition of Destiny 2, Bungie's first-person shooter sequel that's due to launch in full in October. This follows a 24-hour early access beta for those who preordered the game, and the client is now available for everyone through Battle.net (aka the Blizzard desktop app). This post from last week has the details, saying the beta client is an approximately 16 GB download and that testing will run until August 31st. They also have a section on the beta on the Destiny website. Here's the open beta trailer, and here's word from its description:

Experience Destiny 2 in 4K with uncapped frame rates in the PC Open Beta August 29-31. Pre-purchase Destiny 2 on PC Exclusively at Blizzard Battle.net and get 24 hour early beta access starting on August 28.

Begin Destiny 2ís epic cinematic story campaign, fight below the surface of Nessus in the three-player cooperative Strike Inverted Spire, and enter the Crucible to put your competitive multiplayer skills to the test in two 4v4 modes. Learn more: https://www.destinythegame.com/beta

Available exclusively on Blizzard Battle.net. Download now: http://us.battle.net/en/app/

New Legends Will Rise on October 24. Pre-order: https://www.destinythegame.com/buy

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Sep 1, 2017, 10:28 SpectralMeat

KS wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 00:39:
Nice. Spend 2 days downloading 18 and a half gigabytes, go to click play, the play button is gone.

Oh, the open beta is already over.

Thanks, Blizzard and Activision!
Exact same situation here.
Love these 2 day long betas in the middle of a work week

Oh well I am sure there will be some free weekends to try if not there's plenty of games to play. Wallet is happy

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Sep 1, 2017, 00:39 KS

Nice. Spend 2 days downloading 18 and a half gigabytes, go to click play, the play button is gone.

Oh, the open beta is already over.

Thanks, Blizzard and Activision!

56. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 17:53 Sempai

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 07:04:
So, how exactly do Destiny 1 veterans feel about content being locked out of the PC version for 1 year or more?

It's pure unadulterated fuckery. Bungie have shown time and again they have zero problems dicking their fans in the process of taking the cash. I do digs me some Destiny, but i absolutely despise those gigantic cunts there at Bungo World.

Deej, that delusional buffoon, drivels on and on about community this and community that. What a clown.
I don't pretend for one second Bungie has ever given one single solitary fuck about the community.

55. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 14:09 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:25:
Darks wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 19:32:
I actually like the beta, payed the Coop mission with some friends and we had a blast. was a lot of fun. Maxed out everything ran like a champ on the Ti 1080 on 28" 4K HD monitor full resolution.

held 60 FPS without any drops at all.

Well I trust a 3 post review far more than when you say you had fun in anything coop Your definition of fun is totally muddled, you don't have fun with the specific game, you have fun playing with your friends. Sadly, your friends are not included in a purchase of Destiny 2....
ZING

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

54. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 13:49 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:49:
I'm having a hard time understanding your complaints about the End boss for the strike mission fight. Why is it so bad to have to run around dodging the boss and trying to survive a hard fight like that so bad?

I dont understand this complaint. This is whats good about the fights, being tactful and not standing there just face blasting the enemy. Anyone can do that. Its the challenge of the fight that makes it fun and worth it.

There's challenge and then there's the veneer of challenge. If you played this strike and actually felt like tactics won or lost it for you then I have to question if we did the same beta. Now I realize that these strikes are only 3-man (and thus it's not fair for me to compare it to 2005 vanilla WoW, for example, which had 5-man at the minimum) and it's a fight you jump right into without much preparation. But then people laud its verticality and mobility when the arena is actually small as shit and the mechanics are simple. And for PVE players, and defenders keep telling me this is a PVE game first, even after console beta changes the balance feels off. "It's just a beta" - but when I suggested more content and/or variety was needed to get a feel, I get hate from people.

I echo some other sentiments people have posted here with "boring" and "feels off" at the top of my list. Again, not a Destiny or console player. Maybe this passes as amazing for those fans, I don't know. I just expect more - and I'd be willing to give it a chance despite these shortcomings if the PC launch wasn't delayed and if Bungie wasn't determined to unify PVE and PVP, which has already caused an auto-aim crisis after one day. All of that impacts my experience and the one potential saving grace - the strike - felt mired by strange weapon choices (several of which are already headed for a nerf!) and watered-down abilities.

It's not my type of game though but everybody can go try it themselves and make their own determination, but I'll repeat that you should get it on console or wait for a sale on PC.

53. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 12:49 Darks

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:41:
Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 03:00:
As one who played entirely too much D1 on Ps4, this beta client is surprisingly refreshing and solid AF.

The bone dry beta content aside, the Strike is fantastic. The sheer scope and verticality are a significant step up over the first.

In the end it is just more Destiny, but finally having the option to run it on a proper PC in 4k@60fps is glorious. It feels like a different animal altogether. And that Hunter(exotic)hand cannon they give you at the beginning made me giggle like a goddamn school girl, watching Cabal heads pop like a grape in a fiery explosion. So good..

I was planning on picking it up on ps4 to join some friends, waiting for their goddamn horseshit staggered release, but after playing it on PC, i'm much less motivated to ever go back to ps4..friends be damned. ;)

I guess that's part of the problem for someone like me (never played the original). The Strike itself was pretty cool but the boss fight is what kind of killed the game for me. Bungie has stated they made the game 30 FPS on consoles so it could be larger with more enemies. The more enemies part I got, but the boss battle felt ridiculously constrained to me. I spent the majority of the time running around, ducking, dodging, avoiding fire, trying to stay alive or rezz allies, sometimes taking down "adds," all the while hating ammo limitations and ability cooldowns (and what's worse, I hear the console beta was even tighter in both regards). Quite frankly the mechanics kept me from enjoying the splendor of the fight and, in any case, for a game where I wanted to embrace mobility, the arena was small and I was hiding behind shit half the damn time. If that's Destiny then, pardon my language, f*** that s***. I can take a time portal back to 2005 and just enjoy Ragnaros, thank you very much.

However it was REALLY nice to see a game run properly on PC. It really was polished and smooth, and I even embraced the UI. I liked the handcannons but frankly most of the other weapons felt weak to me. Don't get me wrong I'm used to "bullet sponge" in these games but I switched up weapons many, many times trying the strike and most of them felt pretty terrible to use (when I wasn't meleeing to conserve ammo). I agree it's a shame the PC version comes out much later as one thing that might've motivated me was being able to explore/learn right from the get go, but now that I know 99% of shit will be done by the time I'd get a copy, I'll wait for bargain bin. I think the amount of people who both really want this game and are willing to wait for the PC version are few and far between - which is kind of a shame.

I'm having a hard time understanding your complaints about the End boss for the strike mission fight. Why is it so bad to have to run around dodging the boss and trying to survive a hard fight like that so bad?

I dont understand this complaint. This is whats good about the fights, being tactful and not standing there just face blasting the enemy. Anyone can do that. Its the challenge of the fight that makes it fun and worth it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

52. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 11:41 NewMaxx

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 03:00:
As one who played entirely too much D1 on Ps4, this beta client is surprisingly refreshing and solid AF.

The bone dry beta content aside, the Strike is fantastic. The sheer scope and verticality are a significant step up over the first.

In the end it is just more Destiny, but finally having the option to run it on a proper PC in 4k@60fps is glorious. It feels like a different animal altogether. And that Hunter(exotic)hand cannon they give you at the beginning made me giggle like a goddamn school girl, watching Cabal heads pop like a grape in a fiery explosion. So good..

I was planning on picking it up on ps4 to join some friends, waiting for their goddamn horseshit staggered release, but after playing it on PC, i'm much less motivated to ever go back to ps4..friends be damned. ;)

I guess that's part of the problem for someone like me (never played the original). The Strike itself was pretty cool but the boss fight is what kind of killed the game for me. Bungie has stated they made the game 30 FPS on consoles so it could be larger with more enemies. The more enemies part I got, but the boss battle felt ridiculously constrained to me. I spent the majority of the time running around, ducking, dodging, avoiding fire, trying to stay alive or rezz allies, sometimes taking down "adds," all the while hating ammo limitations and ability cooldowns (and what's worse, I hear the console beta was even tighter in both regards). Quite frankly the mechanics kept me from enjoying the splendor of the fight and, in any case, for a game where I wanted to embrace mobility, the arena was small and I was hiding behind shit half the damn time. If that's Destiny then, pardon my language, f*** that s***. I can take a time portal back to 2005 and just enjoy Ragnaros, thank you very much.

However it was REALLY nice to see a game run properly on PC. It really was polished and smooth, and I even embraced the UI. I liked the handcannons but frankly most of the other weapons felt weak to me. Don't get me wrong I'm used to "bullet sponge" in these games but I switched up weapons many, many times trying the strike and most of them felt pretty terrible to use (when I wasn't meleeing to conserve ammo). I agree it's a shame the PC version comes out much later as one thing that might've motivated me was being able to explore/learn right from the get go, but now that I know 99% of shit will be done by the time I'd get a copy, I'll wait for bargain bin. I think the amount of people who both really want this game and are willing to wait for the PC version are few and far between - which is kind of a shame.

51. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 11:33 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:54:
hmmm, wen't down that hallway and there was a robot sweeping with a broom but couldn't go any further, the door wouldn't open.

If you bump up the FOV the hud gets cut off (it doesn't scale with the FOV setting) so I probably couldn't see the 3/3 thing.

It's always fun to see how level designers craft "futuristic" space scenes, pipes jetting out of the ground with no apparent use or reason for being there, present day fire extinguishers hanging on walls.

There's a door you can open with the E key but it's pretty subtle. It's basically behind the robot janitor.

50. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 08:18 Darks

opie wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 01:19:

So, this guy has 3 whole post and we are supposed to buy into his bullshit review? Yea, right!!

I actually like the beta, payed the Coop mission with some friends and we had a blast. was a lot of fun. Maxed out everything ran like a champ on the Ti 1080 on 28" 4K HD monitor full resolution.

I don't care what you "buy into" I gave my opinion of the game.

And I really dont care what you think!!

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2017, 08:39.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

49. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 07:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

So, how exactly do Destiny 1 veterans feel about content being locked out of the PC version for 1 year or more?

1 Sniper rifle, 1 Ship(?), 1 Strike, and 1 PVP map, according to a link I can't find now, and I'm sure more as DLC/content patches come out.

How many strikes(pve dungeons?) are there planned to be, how many were there in Destiny 1 vanilla on release? etc. Missing out on major PVE content seems unforgivable. I doubt I'd miss another gun here or there.

The game looks interesting, but if PC content is going to be gimped for literally years maybe I will just avoid the game entirely.

48. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 05:59 Numinar

I didn't try this as it's all content I would rather enjoy once it's done and progression is saved, but they will get my money after I get back from vacation. Destiny is my jam bigtime.

Thought it would get a better reception from you lot but the complaints seem reasonable, (Except the guy who uninstalled Titanfall 2, that campaign GOES places! Stick with it!) It is exactly what it looks like, though is better without the scripted mission stuff (As D1 and Halo were before it). The opening mission is probably never meant to be replayed.

I bounced hard off of Warframe, Borderlands and Diablo 3 but cannot get enough Destiny. Probably hundreds of hours on just the vanilla game and first few expansions, with some unique guns burned into my mind from the hundreds of thousands of virtual, satisfying rounds I dumped out of them. It just feels so great as a sessionable co-op game and was even great for Solo, running harder variations of awesome missions over and over again because shooting space jerks in a Bungie game or cruising about their pulp novel sci fi landscape paintings never seems to get old for me.

Will hold out for PC release unless console mates seem into it enough for it to be worth getting on PS4 as well (I wouldn't take much convincing to be honest, I had so much fun with the last release I feel like I owe activision hundreds of dollars). Any AU/SEA blues posters that get the taste for the D hit me up end of October. Space jerks need murdering by the tens of thousands.

47. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 03:00 Sempai

I was planning on picking it up on ps4 to join some friends, waiting for their goddamn horseshit staggered release, but after playing it on PC, i'm much less motivated to ever go back to ps4..friends be damned.

46. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 02:36 NewMaxx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 01:22:
I love the Borderlands games. This just doesn't feel right though.

Same.

I actually think it does some things better than Borderlands (certainly I liked the UI better in general, and it felt smoother on the whole) but the actual game-play felt like a step back to me. Hard to put my finger on it but since I never played the original I don't want to make any definitive assertions. It just felt "off" as I said in my original post here.

45. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 01:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Ok, I played some more tonight. Ran the Strike mission twice. Failed the first time, beat it the second. Verdict: This shit is boooooring.

I don't see myself getting into it at all. It's weird, because it seems like it should be something I'd like. I love the Borderlands games. This just doesn't feel right though.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

44. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 01:19 opie

So, this guy has 3 whole post and we are supposed to buy into his bullshit review? Yea, right!!

I don't care what you "buy into" I gave my opinion of the game.

43. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:40 Slick

Oh, and just for people who are focusing on the end-game grind, it's mostly useless.

At launch and for most of the lifetime of Destiny 1, all weapon stats and player levels are "normalized" for any PvP mode. So all that gear chasing is useless if that's what you think you're grinding for.

Occasionally there are the "Iron Banner" events, which is PvP where you keep your levels, but as was discovered in D1, the characters are still VERY heavily normalized. As a streamer made a lvl 1 character and was consistently winning against maxed out players (lvl 20) in this "un-normalized pvp".

The only real reason to grind top tier gear is to do the raids, which I never even did in D1. Took way too much coordination, and fuck me if I'm putting that much effort into coordinating on a goddamned console. There wasn't even a fucking chat or invite system in the "social hub" area, you had to do all that work on your own sending invites to people on PSN or XBLive.

So yeah, never touched the raids, which were supposedly really hard, needed top tier gear, and I still had a blast playing through the main campaign with the odd PvP match thrown in there.

D2 is shaping up to be more of the same, which if it buzzes you, jump in, I probably will, even if I fucking hate Activision.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

42. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:34 ledhead1969

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:03:
Yeah, just ran through it and did the drop in co-op map too and was totes unimpressed with it all. The visuals are nice, as to be expected, but the sauce was weak with everything else. No maps - overhead and mini, no journal, shitty console UI is a real PITA where you can't even compare items side by each, nothing to intereact with or do on the map except get slightly confused as to where you're going and why, so you just run from start to finish with all the predictable enemy drops.

This is it? This is the much-hyped Destiny? Fuck, console players are easily impressed aren't they? This is just some bullshit hamster-wheel grind-fest. Yeah, I'll probably get around to giving it a playthrough in a couple of years when it's $5 or less. I could easily skip it entirely and likely will by that point.

'totes'

41. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:31 Slick

opie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:23:
My impression of the beta: (PC)
I was able to get in the 24 early period, but it took 2 hours of contentiously restarting game to get it to connect. error saxophone
Once in, I was pleasantly surprised about Nathan Fillion voice over. Sadly, this was the highlight.
The intro mission was kinda boring and VERY linear. The cut scenes were okay, but ugly.
The match making was painfully slow, and 1 game never loaded. I had to Alt F4 that.
PVE was fun once. It is like replaying the same dungeon run over.. and over.. and over.
PVP was chaos and all about hand-cannon/grenade launcher (1 "hit" kills). Again, boring fast.
The over all graphics (1080P max settings) ran great, but it looked like it was a 8 year old game. Reminds me of Borderlands. The fire was annoying bad, and I found my character got stuck on pebbles that I would have to jump over. I actually got stuck in a tree once.

final words: 4/10 already uninstalled and not going to play again. Might be good for console newbs who have to use a controller.

I actually like the beta, played the Coop mission with some friends and we had a blast. was a lot of fun. Maxed out everything ran like a champ on the Ti 1080 on 28" 4K HD monitor full resolution.

I think his review is spot-on for someone that doesn't enjoy the mechanics on offer. It's okay that one person gives a game a 4 and another a 9. I can honestly empathize with the 4 score because:

-looooong ass matchmaking for a paltry 4v4 which feels so empty it borders on sad.

but I'd give it a 9 for:

- Very detailed environment, they clearly have an army of talented modellers and texture artists. Even the fx are well done.
- The game runs quite well on PC

PvE is by its nature linear, although there will probably be more open areas like the first game, it all comes down to running missions with fixed objectives. It's just the genre.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

40. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:31 eRe4s3r

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 21:33:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:25:
Well I trust a 3 post review far more than when you say you had fun in anything coop Your definition of fun is totally muddled, you don't have fun with the specific game, you have fun playing with your friends. Sadly, your friends are not included in a purchase of Destiny 2....

I'm in that boat, too, because I have to convince my friends to get on board and they are far more casual than I am when it comes to gaming. I find it amusing because I got them all into The Division but they petered out pretty quickly at the end-game for a variety of reasons. I recall plenty of people on forums making it sound like it didn't take that long to gear up properly and learn the events, giving a ballpark of like "two hours a night," and I'm like...really? That's casual? Not in my world. I'm lucky to get them together once a weekend for a few hours.

So, yes, I have a clan that plays and I can just "pub" or do whatever but I find as I get older I'd rather focus my multi-player time with my friends and this game already feels like work. From a beta. A short ass beta. It literally made me tired doing a few runs. My friends mostly suck and we don't have the hours to waste getting them up to snuff so to speak, so I guess this type of game is out.

So no offense to people who love this stuff as I already said, more power to you! But for those in my boat, my "review" in several posts below is effectively for you. Wait for a sale or if not, get it on console. By the time it hits PC all the secrets will be known and technical mastery aside, it's just not worth full price or a separate purchase on this platform.

As I got older I found myself in exactly the same spot, I have (well, no, I don't HAVE to, but I *want*) to focus my MP game time on things everyone in my circle enjoys, and grindy coop isn't that, mainly because of the upfront time-investment needed if not everyone is the same "level" (one of the reason Division/Warframe are not exactly high on the list of games I like). It is also extremely rare that any 1 specific game is the 1 game everyone enjoys. Most of my friends are casual gamers and they'd not touch coop for more than a try. It's why the Division was one of my worst purchases ever ~.~ The game hyped a few out of my friends and nobody played it longer than 8 hours total in Coop because ("It feels like work")

It gets much worse when your gamer friends all come from a competitive MP scene, gained families and now enjoy family friendly economic games and card games, or racing games. But can't really play "shooty-stabby" games on a weekday with children around. I mean, I want them to spent time with their children and if that means they spend less time with me then that is totally fine, I would never except it otherwise. Which is why I am a bit baffled by Darks response ;/

Anyway... I read your "review" but opie posted his as well and so he didn't deserve to be attacked for it.... as I said, friends who all play this game hardcore and for a long time are NOT included in the purchase. And so it has to be looked at from a solo perspective too.

39. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 00:25 Slick

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:03:
This is it? This is the much-hyped Destiny? Fuck, console players are easily impressed aren't they? This is just some bullshit hamster-wheel grind-fest. Yeah, I'll probably get around to giving it a playthrough in a couple of years when it's $5 or less. I could easily skip it entirely and likely will by that point.

Core gameplay is better than Halo, so yeah that's what's "impressive" to console gamers.

I think it's good for what it is, it's a boarderlandsy-type co-op shooter. They threw a lot of money at it, the production values are really quite high, and it has a tight gameplay pavlovian loop going on which loot-chasers and grinders love.

I'll play it for about 50 hours then probably shelve it, but just like the first one, it was an enjoyable 50 hours. Pretty mindless, but sometimes that's what I'm looking for.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo