Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

X4: Foundations Announced

EGOSOFT has unveiled plans for X4 as promised, saying the new installment in their space exploration and combat series will be titled X4: Foundations. This page has info, though this does not yet seem to carry a release date. There are screenshots, which are also in an album on Imgur and there's an announcement trailer. The description of the video has a detailed description.

X4: FOUNDATIONS, the long awaited sequel in the successful X series brings our most sophisticated universe SIMULATION ever. Manage an empire or EXPLORE space in first person. Fly every ship, TRADE and FIGHT to BUILD your empire with modular station construction and THINK carefully when embarking on an epic journey.

Freedom to personally fly all ships:
X4 will allow you to fly all ships personally. From small scouts over a wide range of ship classes up to the biggest carrier, everything can be piloted from the cockpit or an external view. Additionally some drones and utility vehicles in X4 can be remotely controlled by the player.
A big focus in the development of X4 has been to achieve a seamless and immersive experience when moving between ships. You can leave a ship, climb down a ladder, walk over the dock of a large space station into another ship you may have parked there and replace the pilot that was working for you just by clicking on his chair.

Modular stations and ship upgrades:
Building space stations and factories has always been a foundation of the X games. After gaining enough money through fighting or trading, most players want to establish their own economy and start influencing the universe on a larger scale. In X4, it is now possible to be completely free and creative. Stations can be constructed from a variety of modules, be it production modules, living sections, docks or many other types of parts. The powerful new map system allows you to drag and connect modules using a connection system to design your own unique creations.
Ships also offer a variety of upgrades. Engines, weapons and other equipment can be added in a graphical editor and actually seen on the ship.

Most dynamic X universe ever:
X4 will be the first X game to allow our races and factions to freely build and expand their empires; the same flexibility the player enjoys in creatively designing space stations from modular building blocks is also available to them. Races expand their empire based on supply and demand, which leads to an extremely dynamic universe where every action the player makes can influence the
course of the entire universe.

Managing your empire with a powerful map:
Once you have more ships and many NPCs working for you as pilots, crew or station managers, the map will be your preferred method of managing it all. Ships can be ordered with simple clicks and through drag-and-drop operations to set their future path and commands.
Graphically plan your trade routes, coordinate attacks with your entire fleet, manage the hierarchy or send ships on remote exploration missions.

Most detailed X economy ever:
One of the key selling points of X games has always been the real, simulated economy. Wares produced by hundreds of stations and transported by thousands of ships are actually traded by NPCs and prices develop based on this simulated economy. This is the foundation of our living and breathing universe. Now with X4, we have taken another, massive step. For the first time in any X game, all parts of the NPC economy are manufactured from resources. Ships, weapons, upgrades, ammo and even stations. You name it. Everything comes out of the simulated economy.

Research and Teleportation:
The seamless change from ship to ship and from NPCs controlling your empire for you continues on a higher level. Once you own a larger fleet, you will be very interested in researching a technology from your HQ: Teleportation. Once you've unlocked teleportation, you can jump from ship to ship a lot quicker and experience all the critical situations your NPCs encounter first hand.
Every order you have given to a ship before turns into a mission objective when you pilot the ship yourself. The moment you leave again, your pilot takes the helm and continues with their previous orders.

Get into the game:
In X4, you can start your journey from a number of different gamestarts and as a number of different characters, each with their own role, set of relations and different ships and technologies to start with. No matter how you start, you are always free to develop in any other direction. Focus on exploration, make money with illegal trading and theft, command large battle fleets or become the greatest entrepreneur ever. It's all up to you to decide.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 09:31 JoatrashFX

El Pit wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 13:52:
I am still waiting for a new Privateer. Not a economy sim, no MMO, just a real single-player space adventure sim. ...(no, not setting up trade routes and building space stations, thank you, no fiddling around with this tedious stuff), weapons, shields... Where is our savior making this happen?

It seems these days you either get games that try to do everything, giving you so many options you're all over the place trying to make sense of things, or they are run by movie-director wannabe control-freaks, forcing you to experience exactly what they want.

I long for space games that do one or two things really well and still give freedom to "adventure". Games like Star Trek: A Final Unity were great back in the day, effectively combining point'n'click with starship exploration. There have been a handful of attempts to capture the same magic in the last ten years or so, but most of them suffer from either bad translations (to English) or bad writing and that kinda kills it for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: X4 Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 09:18 JoatrashFX

Rigs wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 22:20:
I really think that even though millions have been poured into SC, the fans would put the rest of it together just for the ability to play it from start to finish.

Something like SC is infinitely more complex than Falcon 4 though. The difficulties of organizing a team to work on something remotely, from across the world, shouldn't be underestimated. Large studios can barely manage it even when they pour immense resources into it. (Look at the credits list of any modern AAA game- there's a reason the list of "managers" and "producers" is so long and it isn't because publishers love to spend money on middle-management, haha.) You would have to capture lighting in a bottle, getting people involved who live for the sheer joy of managing and coordinating projects in their free time to finish something like SC as a fan project- a much more rare occurrence than those who want to do hands-on development.

30. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 06:27 Nucas

this may seem like a dumb thing to criticize, but these guys should really stop subtitling every fuckin' product and just make the line up clear.

i mean there were, what, like three or four games last generation called "X3: something something". as a casual observer i was never sure what was what. base game? expansion? stand alone expansion? i tangentially considered picking up the series more than once as a lover of space sims, but the lineup was confusing to me. any other game series i might have tried to dig and figure it out, but the years-long mixed-to-negative reputation (i mean i have literally never seen a comment thread anywhere that just said "great game!", it's always just like this one, complaints and talking about some bygone days when the games were supposedly good) always finished the job of killing any interest.

29. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 04:23 DangerDog

Everything looks so stiff animation wise, one thing that Elite Dangerous really nailed was the immersion of feeling like you are in a spaceship cockpit, here your camera POV is locked with no motion.

It's more than just having camera free look option, if they fixed this it would add so much more to the experience.

28. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 03:39 yuastnav

I'm really looking forward to this. Probably even going to preorder it. Preordering Rebirth was a mistake but eh... it was not a real X game. This is going to be a real X game and this makes me happy.

Now if only Volition would make a Freespace 3... they still haven't replied to my mail from January 6th 2015.

27. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 03:38 jdreyer

Task wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 22:19:
They probably wanted FPS way back in games like Wing Commander to you know, but could not integrate it. Now don't lie and say you never wanted to fly around in a X-Wing or TIE Fighter, be able to land, and walk around the capital ships in a Star Wars flight sim game, walk back to your fighter, climb in, and so on. That had to be a dream of many, and if not some of the community here, I always dreamed of stuff like that for space sim stuffs.

We already have that game. It's called Star Wars Battlefront 2 and it came out in 2005.

Stay a while, and listen.

26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 28, 2017, 23:55 Jivaro

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 22:53:
I liked the earlier X games, but really I think I'd just like another Freespace game...

+1

Or Privateer. (as has been said already by a few people I think)

25. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 28, 2017, 22:53 Wowbagger_TIP

I liked the earlier X games, but really I think I'd just like another Freespace game...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

24. Re: X4 Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 22:20 Rigs

I'm curious to know if Roberts and company actually failed to finish the game, whether from fatigue or financial reasons, and were to put all the game's assets and dev tools on the Net and downloadable, would the die hard fans actually finish the game for him? Like, one day, Robert's posts on Twitter...

You know what, fuck it! Derek Smart is too much of an asshole and I'm tired of his shit! I'm putting everything we have so far on a dropbox and I'm going on vacation for 20 years or so. You can thank Derek!'

Would people actually finish what he started even if they aren't getting paid? Because I honestly think that, yes, they would. Take a look at the fallout from Falcon4's demise and see the incredible effort that was taken to keep that one alive. I really think that even though millions have been poured into SC, the fans would put the rest of it together just for the ability to play it from start to finish.

=-Rigs-=

'But what does 'optional' mean?! It's video games, playing them at all is 'optional'! Sticking a broom handle up your ass is 'optional', doesn't mean I wouldn't really like to do it!' -Yahtzee

23. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 22:19 Task

They probably wanted FPS way back in games like Wing Commander to you know, but could not integrate it. Now don't lie and say you never wanted to fly around in a X-Wing or TIE Fighter, be able to land, and walk around the capital ships in a Star Wars flight sim game, walk back to your fighter, climb in, and so on. That had to be a dream of many, and if not some of the community here, I always dreamed of stuff like that for space sim stuffs.

Anyways, I'm pretty surprised they are continuing on with the X game series. I guess they must make just enough profit to continue what they are passionate about.

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

22. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 19:06 CJ_Parker

Yeah S42 is going to be a heavy mix of FPS and space sim sadly. Erin Roberts once (though a long time ago back in 2014) mentioned a 60/40 ratio in favor of the FPS part and said it could even be higher depending on how much time you spend in FPS running around your carrier mothership.

The time when Squadron 42 was just going to be a spiritual Wing Commander sequel with only a little first person gameplay, like walking to the briefing room or the bridge with some story and cutscenes strewn in, have long sailed. They are making Call of Squadron 42 Duty: An Advanced Warfare Future Recon Warfighter Soldier's Destiny and ya better believe it bitch

There will be space pew-pew and plenty FPS ground pew-pew on the actual ground, when boarding enemy ships and on space stations and in zero gravity. They didn't do all that mocap and hiring actors for nothing.

21. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 16:19 Tumbler

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 16:00:
In Squadron 42, if it ever comes out, you will be playing a pretty fixed role as a space pilot/marine in the navy.

I'm so confused what they're going for at this point. They keep acting like SQ42 needs all this other tech done before they can do the story the way they want but how much time out of the ship are they planning? Is there going to be a whole section where you have to sneak through the sewers to avoid capture after your ship crashes...because I'm really not fucking interested in playing a FPS in my space sim campaign.

Are we going to visit Ravenholm you motherfuckers!

20. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 16:00 CJ_Parker

I am still waiting for a new Privateer. Not a economy sim, no MMO, just a real single-player space adventure sim. (Cue all the Squadron 42 posts coming up!)

Squadron 42, like Star Citizen, has gone full retard and will be more like a space CoD clone than a Wing Commander or a Privateer. Privateer had very free form gameplay. Kind of like Elite... you get a ship and some dolares and what you make of your humble beginnings is up to you.
That's not Squadron 42. In Squadron 42, if it ever comes out, you will be playing a pretty fixed role as a space pilot/marine in the navy.

Any comparisons between Squadron 42 and Privateer are void. The more apt comparison would have been Privateer vs. Star Citizen before the latter went full retard.

19. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 15:45 Tipsy McStagger

The point form explanations of this launch tells me they really heard the flak they got off X: Rebirth.

The one that really interests me is that teleportation, that could be a lot of fun, command a whole fleet to attack X and then teleport to your capital ship to fight it or pick a small fighter for more fun.

18. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 15:06 The Half Elf

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 15:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 13:22:
IF... and this is a big IF with this franchise it is as good as they want it to be I'll pick up a copy.

But I'd wish they'd throw some multiplayer in there and take a chunk of Star Citizen's glory.

There will be no MP

Hence why I said "wish".

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

17. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 15:05 eRe4s3r

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 13:22:
IF... and this is a big IF with this franchise it is as good as they want it to be I'll pick up a copy.

But I'd wish they'd throw some multiplayer in there and take a chunk of Star Citizen's glory.

There will be no MP

16. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 14:15 eRe4s3r

I don't get it. Many fans of X (up to X3) ask for the same. More of the same? Really?

I am still waiting for a new Privateer. Not a economy sim, no MMO, just a real single-player space adventure sim. (Cue all the Squadron 42 posts coming up!) Is there really no market anymore for a game like Privateer? With a good story and lots of space exploration, buying new ships (no, not setting up trade routes and building space stations, thank you, no fiddling around with this tedious stuff), weapons, shields... Where is our savior making this happen? (Cue CR and CIG - I want a game, not a game of promises by a snake oil salesman). Disney, EA, how about a "Han Solo" game where you start as a small time pirate and become Han Solo and get the Millennium Falcon close to the end? Before meeting Luke and Leia?

If Star Citizen fails, the genre will be dead for decades, and Disney will NEVER make a mature game.

15. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 14:07 Burrito of Peace

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 14:03:
Is there really no market anymore for a game like Privateer?

Sadly, no.

Well, there's Everspace but it's not exactly a great game.

14. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 14:03 Burrito of Peace

Is there really no market anymore for a game like Privateer?

Sadly, no.

13. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 28, 2017, 13:52 El Pit

I don't get it. Many fans of X (up to X3) ask for the same. More of the same? Really?

I am still waiting for a new Privateer. Not a economy sim, no MMO, just a real single-player space adventure sim. (Cue all the Squadron 42 posts coming up!) Is there really no market anymore for a game like Privateer? With a good story and lots of space exploration, buying new ships (no, not setting up trade routes and building space stations, thank you, no fiddling around with this tedious stuff), weapons, shields... Where is our savior making this happen? (Cue CR and CIG - I want a game, not a game of promises by a snake oil salesman). Disney, EA, how about a "Han Solo" game where you start as a small time pirate and become Han Solo and get the Millennium Falcon close to the end? Before meeting Luke and Leia?

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo