Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Xenia This Week

Loresoft announces Xenia, a game with a story they say is inspired by real-life Greek Queen Xenia and gameplay inspired by the Metroidvania genre. Those interested will not have long to wait, as this is due for release on Steam this Friday (September 1st). In the meantime, here's the announcement trailer and here are further details:

In Xenia you will be able to control Ardas, a blacksmith who sees his city being rushed by evil forces. Queen Xenia is a real-life character, who lived in the 12th century b.c. Her castle was located at Ftheia plateau, Greece. According to the gameís plot, the evil wizard Skotos kidnapped the queen in order to use her blood to become powerful. After the royal army was sent to Troy in aid of King Achilles, Ardas has to accomplish a very difficult task. Save the queen at any cost.

The game has been developed by only one person, Dimitris Floros, after 8 months of work. Itís a side-scrolling Metroidvania style Platform in which you collect gold and use it to buy items from the Magic shop. Xenia has 12 levels, 7 bosses and makes use of secret rooms and alternate endings, which increase the gameís replayability. Progress is being done by checkpoints and gameplay is fast-paced.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2017, 09:19 PHJF

So it's basically Volgarr the Viking, only horrible in every way?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 21:35 Mordecai Walfish

its 2017 and you can't even hit Amiga-level graphics? Even for a solo dev this looks pretty terrible. Gameplay looks just as bad.

Speaking of solo devs.. I played a game on android today called Polytopia made by a single dude, and it's pretty damn good. Kind of an empire builder/resource game with simplified graphics and gameplay. It has multiplayer also, local only I believe, where you pass the phone/tablet to the next player when your turn is up. Turns go pretty quick once you get the hang of the gameplay, and it's fun trying to compete against the enemy civilizations on the harder difficulty settings. Highly recommended. Free with no ads, but there are some extra "tribes" you can unlock for $$, but they only let you start with different perks than the core ones, and change the graphical style of the group you play as. Nothing drastic.

Blue gets the news from both devs/publishers and the readers, I believe. Anyone can submit news from the link on the left bar, but as always, it's up to El' Capitan Blue to decide if it's actually newsworthy or not. I know I sent in some dumb shit that never got posted when I was younger (~20 years ago) and thought abusive admins on game servers were somehow newsworthy.. lol.

8. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 19:09 CJ_Parker

Is this trying to revive the C64 or something because it sure looks like it.  

7. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 18:14 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:15:
I wonder how Blue makes a determination what makes the daily list? Friends? Favor? Random? User Submitted?

Cold, hard ca$h. Blue ain't running a charity here.

J/k Blue!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

6. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 18:12 Jivaro

Everyone's a critic.  

5. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 16:52 eRe4s3r

I am glad this is not a regular thing, I don't wanna see feature posts like these for all the 20 or so crap Indy games that release.. PER DAY

But I get that Blues really has some hardcore job here, no matter how he does it it's probably not gonna make everyone happy, if he ignores indies then they don't send him news, and if he features indies we complain because "that" indy game looks like shit. (or should we say even MORE shit than the regular shit that swamps steam lately)

And with 27 games per day it would be interesting to know why this one in particular made it to the news. Maybe it's just me, but Rock of Ages 2 (for example) would have been a thing to post about instead of Xenia which has nothing to do with Xenia (TV) (sadly)

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2017, 17:11.

4. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 15:48 Ozmodan

Steam has no compunctions about putting any game on their system. The crappier the better seems to be their motto.  

3. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 12:42 Orogogus

It's almost certainly submitted by the developer or publisher. They send it to Blue, he posts it.

What I wonder about is the On Sale section. Blue will have 3-20 titles listed, and several of them just have the Steam listing. But on any given day Steam has over a thousand titles on sale. Surely game companies aren't notifying Blue every time their game goes on sale, are they? Is it just stuff from Blue's Steam wishlist that pops up in his email notifications?

2. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 12:15 HorrorScope

I wonder how Blue makes a determination what makes the daily list? Friends? Favor? Random? User Submitted?  

1. Re: Xenia This Week Aug 28, 2017, 10:46 Zyrxil

I mean, that's cool accomplishment for the dude and all, but this is obviously a student's first game project that in no way deserves to be sold for money.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo