Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count

The Steam Game and Player Statistics page shows that PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS had the highest peak player count on Steam today, which Kotaku says is the second highest concurrent player count in Steam history. VentureBeat notes this managed to beat out Valve's own Dota 2, in spite of the MOBA's free-to-play advantage:

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds just did the impossible. It had more simultaneous players online through the Steam PC gaming service than Dota 2, according to data-tracking site Steam Spy. This is an incredible achievement because few releases have ever come close to threatening Dota 2’s concurrent player number. And that makes sense because Dota 2 is a free-to-play game that belongs to Valve, the same company that owns and operates Steam. This feat is even more impressive because Battlegrounds costs $30 to play and is still in the Early Access program for unfinished projects, so it is overcoming a higher barrier to entry and an extreme lack of polish.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 28, 2017, 15:41 Kxmode

"PUBG beat DOTA 2? That's a paddlin'" - Valve

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 14:53 RedEye9

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 14:18:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 02:34:
Yeah was that some kind of joke by the eraser dude? There is also CSGO with over 30 million copies, Skyrim 12 million, Civ 5 at 10 million, CSS almost 15 million, L4D2 14 million, Garry's Mod 11 million etc. etc. etc.

Nah you guys are right, I fucked that stat up, I didn't click on the right category in steamspy

Still baffling though, I guess this game drains the players from CS:GO ?
It helps if you have an estimate to begin with when looking up stats because the number you posted should have set off alarm bells.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 14:18 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 02:34:
Yeah was that some kind of joke by the eraser dude? There is also CSGO with over 30 million copies, Skyrim 12 million, Civ 5 at 10 million, CSS almost 15 million, L4D2 14 million, Garry's Mod 11 million etc. etc. etc.

Nah you guys are right, I fucked that stat up, I didn't click on the right category in steamspy

Still baffling though, I guess this game drains the players from CS:GO ?

13. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 28, 2017, 12:13 Primalchrome

theglaze wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 20:52:
right-click scope working 10% of the time
no buildings being rendered so players and items were floating...
fluidity of movement is terrible,
all forms of fighting are lagged and clunky,
If you're talking about a recent build (last two months)....honestly....reading through your list of bugs it sounds like issues on the client side. Either lag, potato machine, or failing to drop settings to suit your rig. Anecdotal...the newest machine at my house is 2 years old and all of them run PUBG with very few issues. The one with 8GB of RAM did have the buildings failing to load back in....early July maybe? It's been fine since then. It's not as smooth as a tight asset optimized title like CS:GO, but we're also not talking about 100m maximum sight distances either.

I only recommend this game to those anarchy-deprived persons who need a digital outlet before they do something stupid enough to land themselves in real-life jail.
...Mmmmmhmmm.

12. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 28, 2017, 07:45 Muscular Beaver

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 01:22:
8,371,417 owners

Far as I know, no other (non-free) game has this many owners

That's kinda baffling, especially since this game was made by a South Korean game studio. Not usually the ones who discover hidden / non-served market trends in the west.

Really more amazing considering it's got 65% ratings on steam. That's horrible for such a big game. Community seems really up in arms over some of the stuff the devs do as well.
I havent seen a popular early access game that wasnt trashed. However, PUBG is the best EA game Ive ever seen.
On the other hand people praise completely buggy and unbalanced "completed" games into high heaven, like Dead by Daylight.
Humans are stoopit.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

11. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 28, 2017, 07:42 Muscular Beaver

theglaze wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 20:52:
I bought this a couple weeks ago... and it ended up being my first Steam refund.

Played 5 rounds. Achieved a 3rd and a 7th. Major bugs I experienced were: right-click scope working 10% of the time, and no buildings being rendered so players and items were floating in the air.

Overall the fluidity of movement is terrible, all forms of fighting are lagged and clunky, and there's a general lack of execution in every single aspect of the game. No wonder people slammed the game for introducing micro-transaction-gambling before making it an average-quality title. I don't think the existing engine can be salvaged, or perhaps the dev will never acquire the talent to polish the game.

I only recommend this game to those anarchy-deprived persons who need a digital outlet before they do something stupid enough to land themselves in real-life jail.
Judging by the bugs you mentioned, it was far longer ago than just a few weeks. Those bugs have long been fixed.
I have been playing it since alpha and Ive never seen huge bugs that made me stop playing, except for the massive lag, which has been fixed/improved now too.
Movement is too clunky, and could be improved, especially if youre near objects and have to aim. But the game is not done yet.

I like this game. Its one of the very few competitive games that are fun to play AND to watch people play.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 28, 2017, 04:00 Tom

In my opinion, the success of PUBG can be traced to Counter-Strike. The two are similar in so many ways. But PUBG breaks out of the CS mold by upping the stakes. Everything about it is larger scale. Bigger map, more players, longer rounds, RNG, survival elements, vehicles, different team options, etc. The satisfaction of victory and bitterness of defeat are intensified.

If you're easily discouraged, this is not the game for you. And that's ok. There's room in the world for many, many kinds of games. Many more than we'll ever have the time to play.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 02:34 CJ_Parker

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 01:43 Mordecai Walfish

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 01:22:
8,371,417 owners

Well off hand I know that GTA V has ~80 million copies sold, and Overwatch has easily over 10 million.. so it's not breaking any records there.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

7. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 28, 2017, 01:22 eRe4s3r

8,371,417 owners

That's kinda baffling, especially since this game was made by a South Korean game studio. Not usually the ones who discover hidden / non-served market trends in the west.

Really more amazing considering it's got 65% ratings on steam. That's horrible for such a big game. Community seems really up in arms over some of the stuff the devs do as well.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 27, 2017, 22:07 Mordecai Walfish

The number of cheaters in this game is blowing up as quickly as it's popularity, as is usually the case with online shooters. I'm kind of on the ropes with this one.. I like the gameplay, but so much in the game feels really bad/jank currently. Movement and vehicles are not very good, but on the other hand, the shooting is decent and the playerbase is massive. It's also a shame that you put yourself at a distinct tactical disadvantage if you want to turn up the graphics quality, and not just from a framerate perspective. It was pretty annoying in quake and it's even worse here. If it's necessary to play on the lowest settings for competitive games (especially in a game that is all about competition), then that should be the only option available, IMO.  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

5. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 27, 2017, 21:27 BIGtrouble77

I've experienced no lag, almost no bugs (but I'm sure they exist), and decent frame rates. I do drop the details all the way down to get a maximum advantage, but the game still looks decent.

This game is huge fun, especially if you can get a squad together on one of the FP servers. I'm sure people have their share of issues, but the game has been mostly flawless for me.

4. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 27, 2017, 20:52 theglaze

I bought this a couple weeks ago... and it ended up being my first Steam refund.

Played 5 rounds. Achieved a 3rd and a 7th. Major bugs I experienced were: right-click scope working 10% of the time, and no buildings being rendered so players and items were floating in the air.

Overall the fluidity of movement is terrible, all forms of fighting are lagged and clunky, and there's a general lack of execution in every single aspect of the game. No wonder people slammed the game for introducing micro-transaction-gambling before making it an average-quality title. I don't think the existing engine can be salvaged, or perhaps the dev will never acquire the talent to polish the game.

3. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 27, 2017, 17:49 CJ_Parker

Shallow, retarded lulz garbage like this is the reason why no one is making decent single player games anymore .  

2. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 27, 2017, 17:46 xXStellarDadXx

loomy wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 17:42:
dayZ has been searching random homes for its popularity but pubg already picked it up. who will kill pubg? tune in next summer

DAYZ is dead...

1. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count Aug 27, 2017, 17:42 loomy

dayZ has been searching random homes for its popularity but pubg already picked it up. who will kill pubg? tune in next summer  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo