Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 29, 2017, 13:00 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 23:41:
ooohh that makes sense. I have only been back east a few times. I had never even heard of a package store until a couple years ago when I went to RI for a funeral. Here in Cali we have Bevmo etc, but you can buy liquor nearly anywhere. It was weird to walk into a grocery store and not see any booze of any kind while I was in Warren. The part that really cracked me up though was the bottled spaghetti sauce made by the former governor(?) who had been convicted of felonies and yet when he was released from prison got elected again. Not that a criminal or a politician can't make and sell sauce...just that everyone claimed he was just this awesome Italian who made awesome sauce. It kinda felt like RI missed the mafia days or something.

A lot of New England states have/had heavy restrictions on alcohol sales: no sales in supermarkets, no sales on Sunday, no sales after 8PM, etc. Blame the puritans. Also, thus the euphemism "package store."

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 23:41 Jivaro

ooohh that makes sense. I have only been back east a few times. I had never even heard of a package store until a couple years ago when I went to RI for a funeral. Here in Cali we have Bevmo etc, but you can buy liquor nearly anywhere. It was weird to walk into a grocery store and not see any booze of any kind while I was in Warren. The part that really cracked me up though was the bottled spaghetti sauce made by the former governor(?) who had been convicted of felonies and yet when he was released from prison got elected again. Not that a criminal or a politician can't make and sell sauce...just that everyone claimed he was just this awesome Italian who made awesome sauce. It kinda felt like RI missed the mafia days or something.  

17. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 21:22 jdreyer

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 17:56:
If it helps at all to reduce drunk and/or drinking drivers on the road...that would be a nice bonus. Mid-party beer runs don't really have an excuse for sending an inebriated person to the liquor store if they can do this delivery thing. (or package store for you RI folks).

PS: Do they call it a package store anywhere else besides Rhode Island?

We call it the package store in CT. I assumed everywhere in the NE called it "the packy"

16. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 19:50 RedEye9

Jivaro wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 17:56:
If it helps at all to reduce drunk and/or drinking drivers on the road...that would be a nice bonus. Mid-party beer runs don't really have an excuse for sending an inebriated person to the liquor store if they can do this delivery thing. (or package store for you RI folks).

Only called package stores or ABC stores in areas with state owned liquor stores. Virginia used to be that way.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

15. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 17:56 Jivaro

14. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 14:33 Beamer

Not surprised - the recruiters hitting me most in the past 4 months have been alcohol companies - nearly every major alcohol manufacturer has spoken to me. They're expecting eCommerce to really pick up for them.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 13:13 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:27:
Retired wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 03:03:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 21:34:
Blue wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 16:49:
Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2017, 15:50:
Why would you even need that in the US where you can buy booze virtually everywhere?

Are you really claiming not to understand the concept of delivery?

Do you not understand the concept of walking down to the corner store to by some booze? You can do that in most of the US. You can do that in most civilized countries. When you come from an uncivilized one like this one you become very aware of things like that because you find it utterly amazing this is the norm everywhere except in your country which is stuck in a timewarp in the 1800s.

And yet you don't rail against delivery pizza.

There are lots of reasons to get delivery. Maybe you're in a wheelchair or blind. Maybe the baby is sleeping and you can't go out. Maybe your SO took the car and won't be home until late tonight. Most US neighborhoods aren't walkable, BTW.

Delivering a unique item vs delivering a can of beer that is the same everywhere. Very different.

The vast majority of pizza delivery is from franchises. A Domino Meat Lovers will be the same everywhere.
Exactly, delivery is delivery.
Leave it to the bn forums to find someone too obtuse to understand that simple concept.

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 12:27 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 03:03:
Why would you even need that in the US where you can buy booze virtually everywhere?

Do you not understand the concept of walking down to the corner store to by some booze? You can do that in most of the US. You can do that in most civilized countries. When you come from an uncivilized one like this one you become very aware of things like that because you find it utterly amazing this is the norm everywhere except in your country which is stuck in a timewarp in the 1800s.

There are lots of reasons to get delivery. Maybe you're in a wheelchair or blind. Maybe the baby is sleeping and you can't go out. Maybe your SO took the car and won't be home until late tonight. Most US neighborhoods aren't walkable, BTW.

Delivering a unique item vs delivering a can of beer that is the same everywhere. Very different.

The vast majority of pizza delivery is from franchises. A Domino Meat Lovers will be the same everywhere.

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 28, 2017, 03:03 Retired

10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 22:07 jdreyer

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 22:01 jdreyer

Blue doesn't zing much, but when he does it's a 50 megaton zinger.

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 21:59 eRe4s3r

There is a big difference between delivery (you buy something, go do something else, and then it arrives and you do whatever it is you needed thing X for) and going somewhere to buy something, which is a time frame where you CAN'T do anything else but that specifically.

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 21:34 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 20:11 Retired

I havent ordered from them yet but the prices are the same as if I went to the store myself from the local shop they use. Wife and I drive a few miles to a different discount liqour store though. Not sure I need the service, but I thought the same about uber food and amazon food delivery and have used both with some positives and minuses.

The restaurants discount the items a few dollars per item so uber/amazon charge menu price and make their money that way. On top of a small delivery charge.

Friends of mine that own restaurants and sell to uber/amazon hate it, as the margin on food is so small as it is.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 19:53 RedEye9

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 17:31 afka Rossini

Alexa, beer me!

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2017, 17:50.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 16:49  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 15:50 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 27, 2017, 15:08 Creston

Faster than some bars I've been to

HEYYYOOOOO!!!! *tappity tappity tappity*

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo