Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I recently shared my frustration over how slowly our packing is going, but I can report a little progress in this regard. Almost all of the books are now boxed and in storage, as are all the bookshelves that held them. Getting them out of here along with a bunch of other boxes is a promising development, and gives a glimpse at the light at the end of the tunnel. At this point it looks like we may be about two weeks from being able to put the house on the market, which will be a relief. Of course when this all started I thought it would all take a couple of months, so it remains to see how long it takes to get through what I'm now imagining will take a couple of weeks.

Packed Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Caged Forest.
Dead Horizon.
Stories: Jared Leto, Margot Robbie Teaming on Joker-Harley Quinn Movie.
Police Launch Investigation After 'Distressing' Video Emerges of High School Cheerleaders Forced Into Splits. Ow
Science: SpaceX goes for a dozen today, and to surpass Russia in launches.
High doses of vitamin B supplements tied to lung cancer risk, study says.
Media: John Oliver - Nuclear Waste.
When You Finally Find A Quiet Spot For Fishing (NSFW).
An Impressive Japanese Rube Goldberg Machine.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2017, 08:47 bigspender

High doses of vitamin B supplements tied to lung cancer risk, study says.

Probably best to stop smoking than stop the B supplements, but hey call me old fashioned

18. Re: removed Aug 24, 2017, 23:43 1badmf

Blue wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 20:08:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 19:17:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 24, 2017, 20:08.

It's getting old Cuts.

O.o the mountain came to mohamed

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2017, 20:17 Mordecai Walfish

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 15:47:
That rube goldberg machine was pretty damn impressive. Especially how they pulled off the whiteboard flip and everything continued so smoothly.

Also Cutter, regarding the forced splits video: I see you read the first comment on that link as well. Funny how this has absolutely nothing to do with race and just people being assholes in general, but it's taken there because of this garbage political climate and media sensationalism that has become so deeply ingrained into our everyday lives. It seems logical to me that if one wants to see fewer baseless racist accusations, they should themselves try to avoid making hypothetical racist accusations as knee-jerk responses as well. That cycle of thought does not seem like the solution to any of the racial woes in our society, and more-so comes across as a sort of partisan satisfaction in confirming your own beliefs once again in a public forum with whatever loosely tied-together threads you can find on the internet/news.

Blah blah blah, spoken like a true SJW. If the scenario unfolded as I stated you'd be screaming your head off how those white racist pigs are so cruel.

I care that the act was cruel, not about the race of anyone involved, as it does not appear to involve that element at all. I don't really fly with the whole outrage thing about mundane social justice positions on the internet, manufactured or otherwise. People can get their panties in a bunch about whatever they damn well please, and I will sometimes choose to comment when I see something that comes across as ridiculous to me. Calling people with differing opinions a "true SJW" speaks volumes about how you've conditioned yourself to respond when challenged while espousing that nonsense. I'll put it like this: I hate everyone pretty much equally, and I've got my own biases and prejudices so it's not 100% equal, nor do I care for it to be. It's kept me alive this long, so I tend to stick with my gut feeling more times than not. If I saw someone posting that the black guy was being racist to the girl in the video, I would have called out that bullshit when I saw it too. I'm really not a fan of either potential side of that fallacy. Chaotic neutral I guess, in 'nerd terms.' I honestly think both sides need to chill the hell out and stop being dumbasses, as this point.

----------------------

TL;DR "Blah blah blah"

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

16. Re: removed Aug 24, 2017, 20:08  Blue 

* REMOVED *

It's getting old Cuts.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 19:57 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 17:09:
That cheerleading vid...

On the one hand sports push people. On the other, you gotta watch out for kids well being. My girl is icing her quads and calves everyday after cross country practice, because she's doing 8 or 9 mile practices. However when she got shin splints last year the coach forbade her running. She had to do an hour on the elliptical instead until she healed. You gotta coach responsibly.

Imo you gotta always watch out for a kids well being, especially around certain ages, you can not ever assume that they see themselves in a (emotional or authoritative) position to voice their own disagreement especially in a group of peers with a dominant/authoritative coach present. My point is, the moment a child begs in you tears to stop you should maybe rethink whatever it is you are doing at that moment.. and stop.

Anyway I completely agree with you, you gotta coach responsibly and carefully. Always making sure that a child does what it does out of own free will, not because of (peer) pressure or expectations or fear.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 19:54 Kxmode

Star Citizen is unveiling the latest at GamesCom. It exactly as you'd imagine it to be. Lots of pizzazz with little substance. They're pitching three new vehicles at a price point that might be more expensive than an actual car payment.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 19:50 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 17:16:
Well damn, that escalated quickly. Apparently the word hurricane was mentioned last night and people proceeded to clean out the stores. I normally wouldn't care but I had planned on doing my regular grocery shopping today, so I'm out of a few things. I just wanted some bread and Cheetos... and beer, alcohol helps you ride out any storm.
Stay safe man.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. removed Aug 24, 2017, 19:17 Cutter

* REMOVED *

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 17:16 Pigeon

Well damn, that escalated quickly. Apparently the word hurricane was mentioned last night and people proceeded to clean out the stores. I normally wouldn't care but I had planned on doing my regular grocery shopping today, so I'm out of a few things. I just wanted some bread and Cheetos... and beer, alcohol helps you ride out any storm.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 17:09 jdreyer

That cheerleading vid...

On the one hand sports push people. On the other, you gotta watch out for kids well being. My girl is icing her quads and calves everyday after cross country practice, because she's doing 8 or 9 mile practices. However when she got shin splints last year the coach forbade her running. She had to do an hour on the elliptical instead until she healed. You gotta coach responsibly.

Stay a while, and listen.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 24, 2017, 15:47 Mordecai Walfish

That rube goldberg machine was pretty damn impressive. Especially how they pulled off the whiteboard flip and everything continued so smoothly.

Also Cutter, regarding the forced splits video: I see you read the first comment on that link as well. Funny how this has absolutely nothing to do with race and just people being assholes in general, but it's taken there because of this garbage political climate and media sensationalism that has become so deeply ingrained into our everyday lives. It seems logical to me that if one wants to see fewer baseless racist accusations, they should themselves try to avoid making hypothetical racist accusations as knee-jerk responses as well. That cycle of thought does not seem like the solution to any of the racial woes in our society, and more-so comes across as a sort of partisan satisfaction in confirming your own beliefs once again in a public forum with whatever loosely tied-together threads you can find on the internet/news.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

8. removed Aug 24, 2017, 15:17 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 24, 2017, 20:07.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 14:06 afka Rossini

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 13:47:
fishingtime wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 12:44:
stop getting your news from Viacom and Amazon...
seek help
I'm not sure who fishingtime is talking to, but like everyone else here I get all my news from that bastion of truthiness, breitbart.com!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 13:47 RedEye9

fishingtime wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 12:44:
seek help

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 12:44 fishingtime

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 12:44 RedEye9

Nuclear waste, nimby. informative.

Chris Hardwick has a newish @talking show. His last talk was with Neil Degrasse Tyson and it was good. He also interviewed Bryan Cranston.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2017, 12:30 Steelcamp

Moving Sux  
-------------------------------------------
Where's my BB gun?

2. Re: fishing Aug 24, 2017, 11:04 Tipsy McStagger

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 10:38:
FUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKIIIINNN' HEEEELLLLLLL. hehe.

You know, the guy in the speedboat is an asshole because he's going way too fast for those tight spaces, but at least he ditched his boat rather than just going straight over the kayak.

When I was younger, we used to race cars down this stretch of road that ended in a dead end. First thing we would do is drive the road normally and then go back to the start to make sure no ones on it.

Looks like these fucking idiots were too stupid to do that when you're trying to get your thrills down a narrow shallow river.

1. fishing Aug 24, 2017, 10:38 Creston

FUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKKIIIINNN' HEEEELLLLLLL. hehe.

You know, the guy in the speedboat is an asshole because he's going way too fast for those tight spaces, but at least he ditched his boat rather than just going straight over the kayak.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo