Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced

The Age of Empires website recaps a few Age of Empires announcements from Gamescom. First and foremost is the news that Age of Empires 4 is in development at Relic Entertainment. They say they cannot wait tell us more about this, but they are waiting anyway. They say to stay tuned for more details, and in the meantime, they offer an announce trailer to celebrate the news. This ends with the Windows 10 logo, and it's possible that it's not coming to older versions of Windows. They also announce an October 19th release date for the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, a Windows 10 exclusive, and they also revealed plans for definite editions of Age of Empires 2 and 3, which are presumably for Windows 10 too. They also offer a new Age of Empires Definitive Edition Gamescom 2017 trailer. Here's word:

Age of Empires 4!!!!!!!! We have been dying to tell you all!

Now that we’ve gotten that excitement out of the way, we can move onto a wrap up of the rest of the announcements from our event. There is a lot to cover!

We started off announcing the release date for Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, October 19th, 2017! What a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the original game! AoE: DE will launch with a ton of awesome new features, but we have kept a lot of things the same to preserve the feel of the original game. Take a look at the list:

• Attack Move
  • 250-300 population cap​
  • Rally Points Basic
  • Rally Points Contextual (Intelligent Villagers)
  • Grid default key layout ​
  • Select Idle Military
  • Select Idle Villagers
  • Unit queueing
  • Right-click mouse scroll
  • And MORE!

We then announced that we will be releasing Definitive Editions of both Age II and Age III, keep an eye out for more details about those!

Those led nicely into our announcement of Age of Empires IV. We are also excited to announce that we are working with the fantastic team from Relic Entertainment to make this the best Age game yet! Stay tuned for more details, we cannot wait to tell you more.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 24, 2017, 00:04 Suppa7

DangerDog wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 17:41:
Don't fear the UWP, embrace it.

I believe they've made changes to MS store apps/programs and you can choose where you want to install them. That was probably the biggest issue with it that I had. They still need to work on that whole backup and restore UWP programs though, it can be done but is way too many steps.

Kind of hard to defend the whole lack of access to files for modding when many other forms of copy protection are tamper proof, like the ones used on the new DOOM for example.

You're exactly the kind of moron we don't need, why not just stuff balls of corporations in your mouth jesus.

Here's the problem you numnuts: There is no free market in gaming, free market theory is a lie. The idea that people like you and the average human being are intelligent enough to qualify to be a free market participant is bullshit.

The reason we have denuvo was because of the idiots who bought mmo's - a trial balloon to reshape game culture to accept corporate control of software.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 17:41 DangerDog

Don't fear the UWP, embrace it.

I believe they've made changes to MS store apps/programs and you can choose where you want to install them. That was probably the biggest issue with it that I had. They still need to work on that whole backup and restore UWP programs though, it can be done but is way too many steps.

Kind of hard to defend the whole lack of access to files for modding when many other forms of copy protection are tamper proof, like the ones used on the new DOOM for example.

38. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 15:35 Avus

Why do I want to give money to the company who killed Ensemble Studio?  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

37. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 14:26 El Pit

Kajetan wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 13:15:
There is no technical reason for these games being a W10 exclusive.

Except for promoting your new OS that you even offered to people FOR FREE? Again another totally new concept right there, right?

Kajetan wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 13:15:
It is sad, that there are people, who are offended by other people critizising their favourite "thing". Have you such low self esteem?

Where was I offended? I am AMUSED. I imagine some people shaking their fist and stomping their feet with a tinfoil hat and just can't stop laughing. Then again - to each their own.

By the way... Why is AoE not working on WinXP? "There is no technical reason for these games" not working on WinXP where they once worked...

Well, no AoE 2/3 DE for you. I think MS will survive this lost sale.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

36. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 13:15 Kajetan

El Pit wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 09:15:
+And there has NEVER been a time where you had to use the latest windows version for a new game because... Oh, wait.
There is no technical reason for these games being a W10 exclusive.

+You have to use this store, because no other store has store exclusive games and... Ehm... Wait...
Yes, this is annoying. Everywhere.

Funny. Some people are just funny. Whatever, buy the game or don't buy the game, but the lamentations of some biased gamers are just hilarious.
It is sad, that there are people, who are offended by other people critizising their favourite "thing". Have you such low self esteem?

35. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 11:10 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 20:15:
Oh joy, another version of a game being redone. So, now its the Definitive version, 5 years from now it will be the Super HD definitive version, another 5 years after that it will be the Super Duper 4K HD definitive version.

So when does all the rehashing stop and the new versions start to come out? Literally M$ and their gaming department are some of the most lazy fucks I have ever seen.

Oh, and on top of that lets make it a Win 10 exclusive for a game that was essentially brought out for Windows XP. Great going M$, you never cease to maze us with your low down stupidity and greed.

If people look forward to and buy it, why does it have to stop? The market speaks. If no one buys it MS loses money, who cares?

34. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 11:03 Cutter

If MS had made the effort and spent the money their digital platform would have been the dominant platform today. However it's really never anything than half-sassed lip-service. Frequently broken and easily abandoned. So no, it's not like Steam, Origin, Uplay.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

33. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 10:54 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 19:56:
What's the difference between the Windows Store, Origin, the Epic Launcher, and Uplay? Nothing, just none of them are Steam.

There's a difference and this is from a guy that uses all those other without an issue and likes win10. Store... it's going to be a while before I ever dive into it. Beyond just basicly being crappy, it is all about the UWP, that is their path to the walled garden that can change pc's forever or better known as the Tim Sweeney warning, with forward by Gabe Newell. If you buy there, you are supporting and working towards that goal and most likely you don't want that goal, ever.

Some of the crappy:
Always have to be on the latest version to use it. - I like to control my updates and am conservative here.

The first time you do it, it will probably trick you and all of a sudden when you start windows you are now logging into with an email/password. That's a sour taste. Yeah you can google to see how to undo that. But you never wanted it to begin with.

It is clunky AF.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2017, 11:20.

32. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 09:58 Theo

Kajetan wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 08:59:
Theo wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 08:29:
I do not have technical problems with UWP. I have a problem with the lack of choice:

• You HAVE to use W10. Not because of technical reasons, but because MS wants to force everyone on W10.

• You HAVE to use the W10 Store. Instead of other clients like Steam or uPlay or Origin or even DRM-free on GOG.

• The lack of choice is what disappoints me. MS can keep their exclusives and they clearly do not need my money. I am irrelevant to them as paying customer. Which is fine. There are other ways. And other games of course

Fair enough, i assume on that note, you have not played or purchased battlefield1, battlefield 4, any modern blizzard title, halflife 2.... or any of the modern epic games (examples go on and on)....

This kind of stance is fine mate, as long as its consistent, if you are consistent - fair play to you. if not, well... uhhm.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
    edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

31. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 09:15 El Pit

Kajetan wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 08:59:
  • You HAVE to use W10. Not because of technical reasons, but because MS wants to force everyone on W10.

• You HAVE to use the W10 Store. Instead of other clients like Steam or uPlay or Origin or even DRM-free on GOG.

• +And there has NEVER been a time where you had to use the latest windows version for a new game because... Oh, wait.
    +You have to use this store, because no other store has store exclusive games and... Ehm... Wait...

Funny. Some people are just funny. Whatever, buy the game or don't buy the game, but the lamentations of some biased gamers are just hilarious.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

30. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 08:59 Kajetan

Theo wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 08:29:
    I do not have technical problems with UWP. I have a problem with the lack of choice:

• The lack of choice is what disappoints me. MS can keep their exclusives and they clearly do not need my money. I am irrelevant to them as paying customer. Which is fine. There are other ways. And other games of course

29. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 08:45 Prez

"First and foremost is the news that Age of Empires 4 is in development at Relic Entertainment."

Prez starts getting excited. Oh boy oh boy OH BOY!!!

"They also announce an October 19th release date for the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, a Windows 10 exclusive..."

Instantly deflated, Prez's shoulders slump, he buries his face in his hands, and he begins to cry.

Not that it's any surprise; AoE has always been published by Microsoft. But I am adamant about staying FAR away from their anti-consumer UWP crap whenever possible.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 08:45 Creston

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 22, 2017, 01:04:
    Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 21:36:
    Didn't they already re-release this as some kind of special edition before?

The second one, yes:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/Age_of_Empires_II_HD/

Ah, so it's II they're going to double up on then. Thanks!

27. Anno 1800 announced (dec 2018) Aug 22, 2017, 08:41 eRe4s3r

So yeah And that won't be a w10 exclusive...  

26. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 08:29 Theo

The problem i have with all the bitching about UWP apps is when Microsoft come out and admit some of the issue, and resolve to fix them, no-one remembers and carry's with the salty bile on places like blues.

Now M/S are a long way from fixing all the problems, but they have started to address a number of the issues outlined in this topic (side loading software for 3rd party support, vsync-gsync issues, overlay support).

But its OK, we can all carry on being angry; people also seem to confuse DRM with platform limitations - they are not the same thing, stop making assumptions about peoples intentions, anyone who listens to phil spencer (actaully listens) can see that on the whole he is a reasonable guy - he cant and wont wave a magic wand over every issue, but he does apply focus where he can to resolve things (i am no MS fany boy btw, but on the whole other than a few mis steps the games that have come out on the store platform have been of high quality [gears4, forza, halowars2]).

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
    edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

25. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 08:06 MoreLuckThanSkill

Windows 10 exclusive, lol.  

24. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 05:26 Reactor

I just want Rise of Legends...  

23. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 04:19 Kajetan

xLith wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 20:24:
    I too wish I could just keep everything on Steam but those days are long gone.
    They are not. I too prefer everything in one place or ideally no DRM at all. Therefore i simply do not buy games, which force me to use other clients.

Does that mean i have to pass on certain games? Yes, it does. I am ok with that, because there are so many games on GOG or Steam i'm interested in, that i DO NOT NEED what EA, Ubisoft or MS have to offer on their shopping/DRM platforms.

22. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 02:55 eRe4s3r

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 22:04:
    FloorPie wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 20:43:
    How is DRM not a valid argument? The UWP stuff locks out game mods almost completely. Its a total walled garden.

But lets just ignore that and the even bigger issue of MS has fucked over its customers before with GFWL!

I 100% agree with the worry that Microsoft will abandon UWP on a whim like GFWL. *So far*, the games I've bought off the windows store are Xbox one crossplay compatible, so I SHOULD have a place to play them even if it goes to shit. The only sorta-assurance you've got is that MS plans on sticking to win10 forever.

I don't mind UWP's inability to be modded, but then I usually play thru a game and that's it...I don't go back, playing with various mods. There are SO many games on my backlog.

Anyway, the only UWP game I currently play is Forza Horizon 3, which is spectacular. Best simcade racing game made, period.

That fair enough, but imagine if a game like Total War: Warhammer, Factorio or KSP without mods. These games live and breath due to modding, heck, Skyrim doesn't even need mention. I don't think I played that unmodded for more than 3 hours ;p

UWP is really hard-core DRM too, if you wanna have a game tied to 1 specific OS and windows license.... well I don't want that. ^^

21. Re: Age of Empires 4 and More Definitive Editions Announced Aug 22, 2017, 02:51 eRe4s3r

Task wrote on Aug 21, 2017, 18:23:
    Hmm, that AoE IV trailer showed artwork depicting multiple historical Eras, from AoE 1 all the way to AoE 3.

Sadly it also showed absolutely no gameplay ;( But it seems it won't even go beyond the Napoleonic wars. No WW1, no WW2, no DIGITAL age.

Is it wrong for me to really want a sequel to Rise of Nations?

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
    and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo