Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Until we get moved, Gunnar and I are on our own for most of the week, as MrsBlue spends Monday through Thursday in Pennsylvania. We've adjusted to this as well as we can, but it's a little disruptive. This week it goes a step further, as my better half is also out-of-town today on a day trip. This leaves me an my Poodle pal to our own devices, which we're not used to on a weekend. We'll head out for a walk in a bit, but I think we're going to have to lay low today, as we had 96% humidity around here yesterday, and it's supposed to be five degrees hotter today, so if we wait too long to take our walk, it will turn out to be a swim.

R.I.P.: Sonny Landham Dies: ‘Predator’ Actor Was 76.
R.I.P.: AnandTech Parent Company Employee Killed in Terrorist Attack.

Sweaty Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bolls.
Link: The New ‘Call Of Duty’ Will Penalize Players For Shooting Nazis Who Are Actually Very Fine People. Thanks tAE.
Science: Ready for the Solar Eclipse? ‘Nova’ on PBS Has You Covered.
Peanut allergy cured in majority of children in immunotherapy trial. Thanks Slashdot.
New surface is so slippery, shellfish can’t get a grip.
Media: Watch a quarter million dominoes fall in this delightful game-themed setup.
Ballsieist first pitch ever. Juuust a bit outside.
Fastest trycicle. Notice which of them is wearing the helmet.
Follow-up: Here’s what happens to your retina if you view an eclipse without protection.
The Funnies: Brevity.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 19:55 Mr. Tact

You mean the wasps were ISIS? Wow!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 19:36 fishingtime

thank God President Trump has the balls to fight these ISIS pigs despite the morons trying to stop him  

17. Re: Eclipse Aug 20, 2017, 10:55 Creston

MeanJim wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:30:
I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad,

Everything I've heard and read said they're expecting traffic to be a total fucking nightmare on Monday...

We're getting about 90% here in Tulsa, I think, but eh. I saw an eclipse in Europe as a kid, and there will literally be 900 trillion videos of the eclipse up as it happens, so I'm not going to put myself through the aggravation of dealing with, essentially, memorial day weekend traffic for the sake of it.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 10:52 Creston

I hope you guys can get the sale done quickly, Blue. I hate being away from my wife for any length of time.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 04:39 shul

That dominoes video is NASA level quality assurance shit  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 04:30 Numinar

Typical! The POS Motherflippin' Mousetrap game let down everyone in that domino setup the same way it let down all of us in childhood.

They must have half-expected it since there was a bypass that made it's failure irrelevant.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2017, 03:51 egg_mcmuffin

Apparently he liked fighting too. I remember on the special features the director saying they had to get bodyguards not to protect sonny from other people but to protect other people from sonny.

First movie I remember seeing him in was firewalker, the chuck norris smash hit. lol.

12. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 22:35 Capella

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:49:
I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.
It is highly unlikely there are any available hotel rooms on Sunday within an hour of a total eclipse location.

We found a room about an hour from totality at the Mall of Georgia. Will be heading out tomorrow then getting up very early Monday to find a spot to watch the event. It is amazing that in just 8 miles the difference is 47 seconds of totality to 2min 30 sec of totality.

Most importantly the weather is predicted to be close to perfect for viewing as far as cloud cover. My biggest worry is how to get around due to traffic.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

11. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 20:44 The Half Elf

Anyone going to view the total eclipse? Where I live we'll only be getting 83%, but I was toying with the idea of driving to one of a couple of locations where it will be 100%. Both are the same distance and time to drive, but I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.

I kind of want to see it since the path of totality isn't too far from me, but I also don't really want to spend 14+ hours on the road to see 2 minutes of a total eclipse, even if it is a once in a life time event.

Here in the Cincinnati area we are getting 90%, but thought about driving to Bowling Green KY to get it at 100%

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

10. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 19:46 1badmf

Anyone going to view the total eclipse? Where I live we'll only be getting 83%, but I was toying with the idea of driving to one of a couple of locations where it will be 100%. Both are the same distance and time to drive, but I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.

I kind of want to see it since the path of totality isn't too far from me, but I also don't really want to spend 14+ hours on the road to see 2 minutes of a total eclipse, even if it is a once in a life time event.

do it man. i don't live near the path of totality or i would. hell i considered making a trip up to my friend's place in seattle and driving down to oregon.

for everyone else, here is a web app to calculate the time of eclipse maximum for your location:

http://www.precisioneclipse.com/

9. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 19:31 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:49:
I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.
It is highly unlikely there are any available hotel rooms on Sunday within an hour of a total eclipse location.
That's what folding seats and sleeping bags are for.

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 19:29 jdreyer

Just do it.

7. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 17:49 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 17:30 MeanJim

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2017, 13:24 sir

I can't believe Sonny Landham was 46 when he starred in Predator. RIP Sonny, the echo of your laugh at Hawkins' 'pussy' joke will live on forever.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2017, 13:14 Cutter

Wow, the applications for that silicone oil as a paint are staggering. If this company has stock for sale, buy!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2017, 11:28 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 10:10:
The New ‘Call Of Duty’ Will Penalize Players For Shooting Nazis Who Are Actually Very Fine People.

"Not all of those Nazis were actually Nazis!"
According to donny john, ‘Call Of Duty’ ZOMBIES CHRONICLES was historically accurate because he watched it, unlike the rest of the fake news media.

Not all zombies are actually zombies.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2017, 11:20 El Pit

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 10:10:
The New ‘Call Of Duty’ Will Penalize Players For Shooting Nazis Who Are Actually Very Fine People.

Trump about World War II: "You have some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people on both sides."

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2017, 10:10 jdreyer

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo