Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video

A new trailer from Middle-earth: Shadow of War offers a lengthy look at gameplay from Monolith's upcoming action/RPG (thanks DSOGaming). Here's the description of the almost 50-minute clip: "In today's live gameplay stream, Monolith introduces the Cirith Ungol Shadow Of War Region. Special Guest, the Director of Art Phil Straub."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 13, 2017, 12:50 CJ_Parker

Nucas wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 01:04:
it; i find this hysterical over-reaction reminiscent of the way gamers first reacted to DLC. 5 DOLLAR HORSE ARMOR IS GOING TO DESTROY THE GAMES INDUSTRY.

Horse armor was $1.99, bro, not $5. And I agree that the reaction was retarded. Horse armor was super-cheap and it even had a quest associated with it. A very simple and quick quest but nonetheless... $1.99 for a quest and an item (or several ones as there were different styles, weren't there?) never seemed like a big deal to me.

That said, loot boxes are a completely different animal. They are specifically designed to appeal to gaming addiction ("just one more crate and I will hit the jackpot, I know it") and they are not regulated. The only ones controlling the drop rates or the chances to "win" are the publishers and they can do as they please. Loot boxes are disgusting tools to extort money from feeble minded fools.
Like season passes they (will) tempt the publisher to hide nice and juicy stuff behind this lottery system that gamers who do not participate in the scam will never have.
The "incentives" to buy these boxes will grow the more popular and the more established they become.

Unfortunately, most gamers are too stupid to realize all this so you will get your way and you will get your loot boxes galore.
Season passes are a well established scam nowadays because gamers trip over themselves to preorder a $50 or $60 pass in addition to the game without even knowing what they will get (the promise of "exciting new content" is enough for most sheeple to buy a pass).

The downhill trend of the games industry, where not the games or gamers but the money-making schemes are the focus, will continue. Loot boxes will be an accelerator. It's inevitable as long as people keep defending and splurging on this abysmal shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 13, 2017, 03:50 Numinar

Nucas wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 01:04:
i find their presence in games somewhat egregious since there's always that suspicion that the game's balance was altered to hinder player progress and make you lean on your credit card, but so far that hasn't been the case in any of the games i've played that contain them. i'm definitely not going to stamp my feet and miss out on a game i want to play over it; i find this hysterical over-reaction reminiscent of the way gamers first reacted to DLC. 5 DOLLAR HORSE ARMOR IS GOING TO DESTROY THE GAMES INDUSTRY.

This. Games are no longer tuned to have satisfying progress/unlocks. You get soul-crushingly slow progression, or shitty off cuts, and micro transaction funded capsule dispensers which are often also super frustrating. Reminds me of MTG, or Hearthstone which is mostly exactly this (A great game that is very hard to keep up without money unless you play it often and well).

Still, some games are great despite this. This might be one. First game was a lot of fun.

5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 13, 2017, 01:04 Nucas

i find their presence in games somewhat egregious since there's always that suspicion that the game's balance was altered to hinder player progress and make you lean on your credit card, but so far that hasn't been the case in any of the games i've played that contain them. i'm definitely not going to stamp my feet and miss out on a game i want to play over it; i find this hysterical over-reaction reminiscent of the way gamers first reacted to DLC. 5 DOLLAR HORSE ARMOR IS GOING TO DESTROY THE GAMES INDUSTRY.  

4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 23:32 Jerykk

You could just play the game and not buy any of the loot crates. Crazy, I know. As with any other AAA game with microtransactions, they will be completely optional and redundant, designed specifically for those who are stupid and impatient. Square has been doing this for years, selling DLC that simply unlocks things early that you'd otherwise unlock anyway by just playing the game naturally.  

3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 21:43 CJ_Parker

Yup. They can go suck some Gollum schlong for good measure. GOTY $4.99 sale at best.  

2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 21:38 thecakeisalie

Pay-to-win microtransactions have no place in a full-price game which will also undoubtedly have DLC and a season pass. It's an absolute no-buy for me.  

1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Video Aug 12, 2017, 21:31 Sempai

Oh i see. I guess i won't be buying your game at launch after all, Monolith..

Loot boxes(online gambling)and microtransactions shoved all the way up inside this sequels ass..

It's fucking garbage like this that turn the entire gaming community into cynics.

Instead of being excited and enjoying supporting studios like Monolith, I suppose now i'll have to wait until it goes on sale for $4 bucks like the first one.

Way to be, WB Games. Way to be..

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo