Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

No Man's Sky Patched

The promised patch is now live for No Man's Sky, and the space exploration game is now on sale for 60% off on GOG.com and Steam. Here's word:

This is the biggest update we’ve released to date, featuring a new central storyline and a wide array of new and improved features. Whether you’re a veteran interloper or completely new to the No Man’s Sky universe, there has never been a better time to start your journey.

Full patch notes are available here: www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update, but here’s a quick run down of the main features:

• 30 hours of branching story and deeper lore
  • Procedurally generated guild missions
  • Much deeper interstellar trading
  • Star Systems have varying wealth, conflict and economies
  • Overhauled Space combat controls, weapons and AI
  • Portal stargates enable quick travel
  • Terrain manipulation for more complex bases
  • New farming and mining interactions bring increased depth
  • Increased biome variety and Rare exotic biomes
  • Analysis visor & discovery improvements
  • Galaxy map and many other UI improvements
  • New S Class ship designs
  • Low altitude flight and the ability to crash your ship
  • Crashed Freighters to salvage on planets
  • Joint exploration

Our story brings a new quest system and branching narrative to No Man’s Sky. In the Atlas Rises story, the fabric of existence is starting to falter. A mysterious new inter-dimensional race have appeared, and ancient portals have begun to open.

Glitches in the simulation, visualised by strange floating orbs, allow players to see and communicate with up to 16 other travellers and explore the universe together. While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man’s Sky.

On behalf of myself and the team here at Hello Games, I just want to say thank you for this year. Thank you for playing, providing feedback, sharing, discovering and so much more…

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 13, 2017, 14:51 jdreyer

Numinar wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 05:05:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 04:49:
Numinar wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 04:06:
Asmodai wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:02:
Wonder if it's possible to crash your ship yet, or are you still protected by the invisible "pull up and fly straight" bumper system?

To be fair, it's possible in our lifetimes our aircraft will do the same thing. Fly-by-wire has kept aircraft inside their envelopes for decades already, and cruise missiles have terrain avoidance.

The bigger question is, "Is auto landing and terrain avoidance fun?"

The answer is "No."

This is true. However as much as I love the stress of realistic re-entry, controlled descent and landing (Kerbal is my favorite game of all time) doing this from relativistic/science fiction speeds as in NMS, SC and Elite requires quite a lot of abstraction and hand holding to be 'fun' as it is. What's a little bit of terrain avoidance at the end compared to all that? It's a valid design decision let down by the lack of other fun things do do after taking away anachronistic manual flight controls.

Yeah, it should be an option in settings, then people can have it both ways.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 13, 2017, 05:05 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Aug 13, 2017, 04:49:
Wonder if it's possible to crash your ship yet, or are you still protected by the invisible "pull up and fly straight" bumper system?

To be fair, it's possible in our lifetimes our aircraft will do the same thing. Fly-by-wire has kept aircraft inside their envelopes for decades already, and cruise missiles have terrain avoidance.

The answer is "No."

This is true. However as much as I love the stress of realistic re-entry, controlled descent and landing (Kerbal is my favorite game of all time) doing this from relativistic/science fiction speeds as in NMS, SC and Elite requires quite a lot of abstraction and hand holding to be 'fun' as it is. What's a little bit of terrain avoidance at the end compared to all that? It's a valid design decision let down by the lack of other fun things do do after taking away anachronistic manual flight controls.

25. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 13, 2017, 04:49 jdreyer

The answer is "No."

24. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 13, 2017, 04:06 Numinar

23. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 13, 2017, 02:03 Kxmode

heroin wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 15:58:
I still feel bad for all the children who used their mom's credit cards to buy it for $50 on day one expecting to be shitting their pants with poop explosions dripping from the ceilings and walls by the complete godly awesomeness this game was going to be in their fantastical minds

You're not quite right in the head, are you?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

22. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 15:58 heroin

I still feel bad for all the children who used their mom's credit cards to buy it for $50 on day one expecting to be shitting their pants with poop explosions dripping from the ceilings and walls by the complete godly awesomeness this game was going to be in their fantastical minds, lol. Skidrow Reloaded exists for a reason... I'll give them my $25 now, especially because I haven't seen/heard Murrary in a while - out of sight, out of mind.  

21. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 13:55 jdreyer

noman wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 11:36:
It's also $24 on GOG, DRM free of course.

I think the game is always online, even though it's single player? So does it matter if you get it on GoG or not?

20. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:53 WaltC

Frode wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 10:06:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 09:48:
Still not even close to a AAA title yet they expect that kind of money for it.

It's 60% off on Steam at the moment. I sorta want to try the game out, I'll admit, but I feel like the current discounted price should be the full price, and I'd buy at 50% off of that. Which is probably never going to happen.

Oh, it *will* happen...;) In fact, you'll surely see it for $5 or less and maybe sooner than you think...but it *will* definitely happen. In the meantime there is plenty to play in other released games that are finished atm, so no need to wait.

I cannot but think that the people still interested in this game are letting the advance marketing about the patch lull them, just as they let the original marketing for the game seduce them...;) I would advise patience and waiting to see what people who have already bought the game have to say about the latest attempt to fix it. Sometimes, it simply isn't possible to fix a bus wreck after it has happened...;) Other times, a diamond in the rough is uncovered. It is certainly too early to say which is the case here, imo.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

19. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:36 Mr. Tact

I don't know, I was thinking more clueless than entitled...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 11:36 noman

It's also $24 on GOG, DRM free of course.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 10:08 RedEye9

Personally, I will never give this outfit a dime.
I am Entitled, hear me roar.
$24 on Steam, How dare this outfit try to right some of the wrongs.
Personally I won't buy it until it's $14.79, I'm so angry and fed up.

/Above was sarcasm.

https://www.newyorker.com/contributors/andy-borowitz

16. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 10:06 Frode

It's 60% off on Steam at the moment. I sorta want to try the game out, I'll admit, but I feel like the current discounted price should be the full price, and I'd buy at 50% off of that. Which is probably never going to happen.

15. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 09:48 Ozmodan

Personally, I will never give this outfit a dime.

14. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 03:53 Wesp5

It seems they finally added a lot of the things they promised from the beginning :)!  

13. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 02:00 J

Rhett wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:35:
It certainly looks a lot better/deeper... I just wish there was legit co-op already.
Seems like a work in progress. They quietly dropped a preliminary multiplayer component into this update

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

12. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 01:34 Avus

Did they improve the inventory/interface yet? if not, still not worth the $ and time for me...  

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

11. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 12, 2017, 01:18 ItBurn

Maybe when it's 15$.  

10. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 11, 2017, 23:11 HorrorScope

Yep, never count games still under development out.

If this becomes something very good in the end, I thank upfront all those that paid full retail to make this possible.

9. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 11, 2017, 22:52 loomy

I feel like this game just become worth it, with this patch for this price. I look forward to all the "recent reviews" switching green. I skipped it at release but I'm super tempted to buy even if it's just 10 hours of nonsense.  

8. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Aug 11, 2017, 22:34 Nucas

i'm surprised there are so many people who want co-op. i don't even know how that would work. mine resources and build bases together? aren't there a bunch of games like this already? starmade? space engineers? empyrion?  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo