Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire is free to play this weekend. GuildWars2.com has the details:

If youíre excited to play Guild Wars 2: Path of Fireô, we have an express ticket to the Crystal Desert for every Guild Wars 2 player! Come join us this weekend for a hands-on experience with the expansion.

The preview weekend begins on Friday, August 11, and runs through Sunday, August 13.

Who can play?
Everyone! You donít need to prepurchase Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire to participateósimply log in on the dates provided. If youíve never played Guild Wars 2 before and would like to play during the preview weekend, register here to create an account and begin playing for free.

What can I expect?
Youíll be able to play the first part of the Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire story, which will kick off your journey to the Crystal Desert. Once you arrive, the Crystal Oasis map is yours to explore. Take in the sights, unlock the raptor mount, and have fun with other players!

On August 18 through August 20, youíll be able to experience the new elite specializations for the first time in PvP and WvW.

To learn more about Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, or to prepurchase the expansion and receive extra bonus items, please visit the official site.

We canít wait to see you in the desert!

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 14, 2017, 14:50 Kxmode

Wash Washburne wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 01:53:
Are you sure abut that, GW grew in the shadow of WoW and it also began because of WoW, it was during a time of MMOs sprouting like mushrooms after good rain, ArenaNet just did it different. And it is why I referred to it as a clone that broke the subscription chains

Having played WOW (up to WOD) and GW (all the expansions, including HOT) I can tell you for the fact that I am sure about it.

All MMOs remain clones of pen and paper gaming, which are themselves inspired by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and other fantasy of the time. So who created it first remains a moot point.

Anet's only connection to Blizzard is Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt, and Jeff Strainby were former Blizzard employees. However, that's where the similarities end.

Guild Wars never followed WOW's model. Anet was the first to release a subscription-free Buy to Play product before that was even a thing. In the beginning, the game focused on multiplayer arenas with objectives similar with today's MOBAs. The story campaign is unique to the GW franchise. It borrowed nothing from WOW. For example, there are no orcs, trolls, or goblins in GW lore. Instead, you have the Mursaat, Asura, and Tengu races, each with rich backstories. Dragons represent forces of nature whose scope of existence within the lore have recently changed. The scope change is unique to the Guild Wars franchise.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2017, 16:36.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 14, 2017, 01:53 Wash Washburne

Kxmode wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 00:05:
Wash Washburne wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 10:45:
I'm glad that this game is still going strong, it's quite fascinating how it actually evolved from being a WoW clone that broke the subscription chains.

GW1 and GW2 have never been WOW clones.

Are you sure abut that, GW grew in the shadow of WoW and it also began because of WoW, it was during a time of MMOs sprouting like mushrooms after good rain, ArenaNet just did it different. And it is why I referred to it as a clone that broke the subscription chains

5. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 14, 2017, 00:05 Kxmode

I'm glad that this game is still going strong, it's quite fascinating how it actually evolved from being a WoW clone that broke the subscription chains.

GW1 and GW2 have never been WOW clones.

4. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 13, 2017, 13:08 Theo

Wow Close GW2? eh?

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 12, 2017, 10:45 Wash Washburne

2. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 11, 2017, 20:54 jacobvandy

If you do already play, though, you create a new throwaway character that is automatically level 80 and has access to mirror copies of most of your account's assets. Nothing carries over from this beta/demo back to the real game. So then you can fuck around and do whatever you want without it impacting your actual stuff. Like, try out the ectoplasm gambling and see how rich you can get before inevitably your luck runs out and you go broke.  

1. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Preview Weekend Aug 11, 2017, 20:19 Kxmode

TL;DR

1. You don't need to own the game to play open beta.
2. This weekend is PVE. Next weekend is PVP.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo