Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Dragon Age 4 and 5 Aug 12, 2017, 03:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:26:
But the better series, Mass Effect, we just let that die for the sake of Anthem.

Fuck you.

To be fair, Anthem looks like it could be ridiculously good.

Mass Effect...I liked aspects of 1 and 2, but also hated the planet scanning/resource gathering crap. I couldn't bring myself to finish Mass Effect 3. I would have much rather Blizzard made Mass Effect a 4+ player party RPG, instead of a watered down third person shooter with RPG elements, but of course that ship has sailed.

I've played a fair amount of Dragon Age Inquisition, and it's... not terrible, I guess. Bland, the dragon fight(first one?) seemed cool, but WAY too much hp, took forever. That series effectively died after Origins, honestly.

Luckily the RPG resurgence has brought a ton of better games/studios up out of seemingly nowhere, to fill the void left by missing Bioware RPGs.

Blizzard News: Don't be triggered too hard, white males. It'll be okay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 12, 2017, 00:52 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:23:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:14:
I would think any initiative that puts anyone who wants to work at a company at a substantial disadvantage because of race or sex

Seeing that there's a unwarranted minority of women at Blizzard, and their high turnover rate, the evidence suggests they are the ones at "a substantial disadvantage".

Which leads me to a question: I'm curious as why men currently being at a substantial advantage didn't warrant a mention.

And they specifically said what they were going to do, which isn't a quota. That also explicitly stated that they wouldn't have quotas. Yet you talk like they are instituting quotas, which are almost always used to limit women and minority candidates, not help them. Quotas are almost always used as a low ceiling, not a floor.

If Blizzard is not planning on doing this then I got that interview totally wrong and that would be pretty shameful on my part as that was what originally pissed me off

William Rubin wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:23:
Because negotiating for a better wage when the only reason you got hired over an equally skilled male/majority was that you looked like a female/minority is gonna put you at a huge disadvantage.

It's obvious that you've got that backwards. White men aren't always hired because they're more qualified, but often because they are white men. In this country, being a white man is often a qualification in and of itself.

In Germany you have far different problems, social selection and name selection. I doubt that statement you wrote would really fit even 20% of white males in the USA by the way... you think the people who (for example) voted for Trump, who don't live in the big cities, who a took net loss of ~27% in wages over the past 30 years consider themselves privileged? Privileged to be poor and socially ostracized by city dwelling democrats maybe, but I doubt that leads to them being particularly happy or rich.

Either way, I can totally understand that someone who HAS this privilege would not want to give it up....
And equally, I can't really support hiring standards based on some ideology or another.

9. Re: etc., etc. Aug 12, 2017, 00:23 William Rubin

I would think any initiative that puts anyone who wants to work at a company at a substantial disadvantage because of race or sex

Seeing that there's a unwarranted minority of women at Blizzard, and their high turnover rate, the evidence suggests they are the ones at "a substantial disadvantage".

Which leads me to a question: I'm curious as why men currently being at a substantial advantage didn't warrant a mention.

And they specifically said what they were going to do, which isn't a quota. That also explicitly stated that they wouldn't have quotas. Yet you talk like they are instituting quotas, which are almost always used to limit women and minority candidates, not help them. Quotas are almost always used as a low ceiling, not a floor.

Because negotiating for a better wage when the only reason you got hired over an equally skilled male/majority was that you looked like a female/minority is gonna put you at a huge disadvantage.

It's obvious that you've got that backwards. White men aren't always hired because they're more qualified, but often because they are white men. In this country, being a white man is often a qualification in and of itself.

8. Re: etc., etc. Aug 12, 2017, 00:14 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 23:32:
Actually, the only question that matters is what does their desire to make the company friendlier to women have to do with making it unwelcome to white males?

That's a paranoid statement.

Maybe it is yet I would think any initiative that puts anyone who wants to work at a company at a substantial disadvantage because of race or sex is gonna have effects that are most definitely not positive nor friendly to the climate at that company. A company can hire whomever it wants, mind you, I just think boycotting such companies is an equally valid counter

And the joke is, this also hurts whoever gets hired through such a quota in terms of wage and negotiation chances. Because negotiating for a better wage when the only reason you got hired over an equally skilled male/majority was that you looked like a female/minority is gonna put you at a huge disadvantage. And this leads to bullshit such as the one going on at Google, where the engineers memo was willfully misunderstood by people with less education than see-snails only to fuel a hate-mob and get a guy fired for saying that diversity is done for the wrong reasons and in the wrong ways (which is true, otherwise females at google would get same pay for same job as males... which they don't)

I invite you to read that slatecodex link I posted, it will open your eyes (maybe) that not everything is as clear cut when you see female/male ratios in jobs. There are reasons for those, and they have not all to do with sexism.

Ps.: And I will plainly admit that I am scared of such initiatives, if my employee would tell me (I am a freelancer) he'd rather hire a female freelancer than I would be economically fucked. And why? Because of a quota? No thanks

You can not force me to accept a worsening of my economic situation and chances in life. They are already shitty enough as it is.

7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 23:32 William Rubin

Actually, the only question that matters is what does their desire to make the company friendlier to women have to do with making it unwelcome to white males?

That's a paranoid statement.

6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 23:28 eRe4s3r

William Rubin wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 22:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:57:
And the best part
"We wanted to create a world where everyone was welcome."

Except, you know, white males
You mean the vast majority of the company? From the founders on down?

Maybe you should think that statement through.

What does the current company employment situation have to do with a policy change they want to implement for future hiring?

The fact of the matter is that there are problems in the IT industry and you won't solve them with dumb initiatives for future hiring such as these. You are just making it far worse because the company climate will become truly toxic.

Also dunno about your abstraction skills but I was clearly not exclusively talking about Blizzard here, I do read the news after all.

5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 22:43 William Rubin

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:57:
And the best part

You mean the vast majority of the company? From the founders on down?

Maybe you should think that statement through.

4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 21:43 Cutter

Fuck Actiblizz. They're nothing but a bunch of scumbag thieves trying to put on a good public face that is the antithesis of what they really are - scumbag thieves, in case you missed it the first time.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

3. Dragon Age 4 and 5 Aug 11, 2017, 21:26 Creston

But the better series, Mass Effect, we just let that die for the sake of Anthem.

Fuck you.

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 11, 2017, 20:57 eRe4s3r

diversity and inclusion through racism and sexism (and we have to add on top of this, ideological extortion and fear mongering)

And the best part

And things don't stop there, if you are a writer you are facing a imbecilic mob of hating assholes everywhere as soon as your story even touches any sensitive issue, and these people will hate you without ever reading the book.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-toxic-drama-of-ya-twitter.html

And as for the whole females in tech thing
http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/08/07/contra-grant-on-exaggerated-differences/

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2017, 21:36.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 20:24 Mordecai Walfish

And here I've been mistaking Overwatch for Blizzard's "global diversity and inclusion initiative"  

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo