Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Sudden Strike 4 Released

Well that's sudden! Sudden Strike 4 is now available on Steam for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Celebrating the news is this post which points to the General's Handbook videos with looks at the World War II strategy sequel, including a new clip on Soviet Forces. There is also this release trailer with an overview. Here's the announcement:

The legendary World War II Real-Time-Strategy series Sudden Strike has returned! Kalypso Media is proud to announce that Sudden Strike 4 is now available digitally worldwide on Steam, with a North American retail and PlayStation® Store release to follow on August 15, 2017. The boxed retail edition for Windows PC, Mac, Linux and PlayStation®4 is also available today across Europe. Today marks the return of a beloved PC strategy series and a groundbreaking moment for PlayStation®4. For the first time in the series’ history, Sudden Strike has received a multi-platform release, positioning the game to become the definitive strategy experience available on consoles.

Sudden Strike 4 on Steam supports Windows PC, Mac and Linux platforms, and includes the 'Battle of Kursk' DLC, a digital artbook and a digital soundtrack. These bonuses are also available with the physical Day One Edition for Windows PC, Mac and Linux. The PlayStation®4 Day One Edition is complete with a digital artbook and digital soundtrack. Both versions of the Sudden Strike 4 Day One Edition feature reversible cover artwork designed by Games of Thrones artist Robert Simon.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 12, 2017, 10:50 asmodeos

I'm loving it. Great toys with thumping ammo and awesome explosions. The details are fantastic. It's like a hifi model of a battlefield right in front of me, there is so much to see, and the action is great. If you drive your units forward with disregard, even a platoon will own them. It's a lot of fun. More people need to give this a shot, they really did a great job with it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 21:02 Task

To sum up. Basically as challenging as the previous ones. To describe it, quasi-arcade with realism (like if you ever wanted a Company of Heroes to be 'realistic' this is that)  

MekPak Variants Mod - BattleTech Beta

4. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 19:15 Task

Alright - now I had time to load it up.

----
* Runs and loads great (and fast on my machine)
* No crashes so far (but only played one mission)
* Looks and sounds awesome

Same style of game as SS1 and 2 (I've never played SS3, so I don't know if any features carried over from that one)
- You still don't build units (only receive reinforcements if the mission was designed that way)
- Units behave the same (infantry have greater view distance and need to be utilized as forward observers to help spot for Tanks)
- 'Repair Vehicles' still have the same functions including building pontoon bridges if a bridge gets destroyed
- All infantry and vehicles still have limited ammunition supply and require resupply from a ammo/repair vehicle if you have one (you can also find ammo dumps that the 'enemy' units utilize)
- You can still capture field guns if you kill the infantry operating them
- Campaigns are the same as the previous games, actually the very same setup as SS1 "German" "Soviet" and "Allied" (limited briefing with a general overview on what you need to do, but are based on historical battles)
- Mission Ratings are the same (1 to 3 stars based on your performance)

Additions/differences:
- If infantry are not engaged they heal automatically (at least on Normal difficulty), however if they are critically wounded they require a Medic (medic infantry unit is new)
- You can now kill the crew inside a tank if you penetrate the armor and do not hit the ammunition (causes a complete explosion/totaled vehicle). You can also unload a tank crew from a tank at any time and Also you can then capture 'crew-killed' tanks for use.
- If you select infantry and tanks and move them together, they now move at the same speed and stay in formation (you can also modify formation)
- Right click is used more for an action rather than left-click like the old games
- You can now use Real Time Pause
- Objectives are more 'clear' as to when you actually complete them (at least in SS1, objectives never mark as 'complete')
- Infantry automatically hunker down in heavier cover (like trees or tall grass)
- Vehicles now require fuel
- Tanks have commander hatches you can open to increase a tank's view distance (obviously leaves commander vulnerable)

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2017, 19:42.

3. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 18:42 Task

I pre-ordered it, but haven't had time today to load it up yet. All I can say is from the videos right now it looks exactly like Sudden Strike 1 and 2, mechanically wise with some extra refined features. You do not build units at all in the originals, and need to know how to use every single unit given to you effectively - A Sniper unit, for instance has the most 'view' distance and can be used to take out forward positions like Artillery or AT guns. Where-as tanks have short view distance, shorter than AT guns and need infantry or a sniper to tag along with them to 'increase' their view distance so they can shoot at their maximum range otherwise they will die easily against well-hidden/dug-in units.

I'm currently going through SS1 now and it is brutally difficult - which is definitely how I remember it way back in 2001 when I tried it once (I believe the first German mission) and quit with the first mission because of the difficulty. Now that I'm playing it again with a different mind sight and learning the intricacies of the original game, its the addictive kind of difficulty where I feel I need to play just a little bit longer to complete the real meat-grinder missions.

2. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 18:15 Retired

I played the hell out of Sudden Strike on Sega Genesis. Looking forward to this.

Disregard. Not the same. Sad face.

Desert Strike, there we go. Oh man. After we move I am dusting off the Genesis.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2017, 02:15.

1. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 16:53 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm... initially I was psyched for this game, thinking it was along the lines of Men of War. Now, after a lot more media, itt seems a lot more like World in Conflict though, which was substantially less appealing.

Hrm...sale buy, maybe.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo