Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

No Man's Sky Patch This Week

The No Man's Sky website has details on a new patch that's coming this week to the space exploration game. The patch is called Atlas Rises, and they say it will improve the game's central story. Here's word from Hello Games' Sean Murray:

Itís been a year since No Manís Sky first released, and itís been an exciting, intense and emotional year for us at Hello Games. We have been quiet, but we have been listening intently.

Weíve spent that year working hard on free updates for this game our team cares about so much.

Update 1.3 will release this week and will be available for free to all No Manís Sky players. Weíre calling it Atlas Rises. It focuses on improving the central story of No Manís Sky and adds the ability to quick travel between locations using portals. Patch notes will be made available shortly before the update goes live.

What we do is much more important than what we say, but since launch we have sometimes focused too much on that.

We wanted to reach out and celebrate the devoted community that means so much to us. We launched Waking Titan to try to do that.

When we posted those cassettes we didnít know what to expect. In the last eight weeks a quarter of a million players from across the globe (174 countries, to be precise!) have come together Ė united by a shared love of mystery and science fiction Ė to form the Citizen Science Division. Youíve travelled great distances both real and virtual, undertaken complex tasks, and explored the depths of simulation theory. New friendships have been forged, and a tight-knit community has been created. Most importantly a cute hamster has a new home.

Youíve become part of the No Manís Sky origin story.

Itís been an honour to watch, but this is just the beginning. Whether youíve followed Waking Titan or not, we welcome anyone to sign up to the Citizen Science Division, and to join us on the official CSD forums.

Our journey continues.

Thank you for this year. We hope you enjoy what comes next.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 14, 2017, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I agree flying is easy and yeah, you only forget to contact traffic control a couple of times before it is burned into your memory. But I remember the first dozen times or so of getting through the slot and onto my pad as being a bit of a challenge. Especially locating the pad.. there were more than a couple of times I had to circumnavigate the interior of space stations...

Euro Space Truck Simulator is appropriate, I did rare trading to make money. Had more fun on my long distance trip into unpopulated space though.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 14, 2017, 03:32 Numinar

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 00:24:
I need to get back to Elite Dangerous at some point..

However, truthfully, I'm not looking forward to
1) setting up the HOTAS again -- not especially difficult just kind of annoying
2) relearning the flight controls and activities such as docking/landing again

Being a lazy bum is a such tough life...

Elite is easy to fly, you really only need to set up a coolie hat and throttle to support 6DOF like descent, and pedals for yaw if you don't have a 20yo Sidewinder that twists. You could also set yaw to the stick itself like I think wing commander did but Elite ships usually prefer roll before turn.

Plus remember that 'insert' lowers landing gear (Be careful, I think one of the buttons near it drops your cargo and another closes your heat vents so you cook!)

The only thing hard about landing in the little baby ships you start in is forgetting to get clearance from traffic control and you through the mail slot and get hit with a fine for trespassing and lasers for ignoring that. I set the modifier that lets you bring up the HUD to do this and all the other things to one of my very few buttons on my ancient plastic artifact from the golden age of Microsoft's hardware labs.

I love Elite. It's more than Euro Space Truck Simulator... but also it's mostly that. It's much drier than NMS, with it's massive, mostly empty quasi accurate galaxy of ice giants and barren space bodies and lack of Spore creatures some systems/vistas are absolutely stunning.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 12, 2017, 02:02 Nucas

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 23:51:
I bought House of the Dying Sun the other day, haven't played it yet, didn't know it had a VR patch for it until after I owned it, nice little surprise. Definitely looking forward to that and Snuggle Truck VR. Also wanting to get over the Alien Iso VR patch to. Time.

if you end up liking it, you can get the soundtrack for free from the composer's site in flac or whatever. i haven't played the game yet but i can't get enough of the OST. sounds like was channeling bear mccreary/battlestar galactica.

16. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 12, 2017, 00:24 Mr. Tact

I need to get back to Elite Dangerous at some point..

However, truthfully, I'm not looking forward to
1) setting up the HOTAS again -- not especially difficult just kind of annoying
2) relearning the flight controls and activities such as docking/landing again

Being a lazy bum is a such tough life...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 23:51 HorrorScope

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 17:47:
PLUG,

I picked up an Oculus Rift and loaded up ELITE DANGEROUS.

Let me tell you.. it's probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. It's like VR was designed to be perfect for space flight sim.

Why does this apply to No Man's Sky No Man Should Buy? Elite is a much better game, play that instead. I goes on sale for like 15$ and horizons for 20$ too.

I bought House of the Dying Sun the other day, haven't played it yet, didn't know it had a VR patch for it until after I owned it, nice little surprise. Definitely looking forward to that and Snuggle Truck VR. Also wanting to get over the Alien Iso VR patch to. Time.

14. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 18:16 Overon

A few more years and there might be a real full game eventually. But won't change the fact that Sean Murray lied and mislead. Just thinking about this game and Hello Games and the hype lies and misleads pisses me off. I wish I didn't read this story.  

13. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 18:07 Rhett

Just a heads up for anyone curious, "co-op" is limited to seeing another person as an orb, and you can interact with them to make a "monument", and that's the extent of it. Also VOIP chat is in. Was considering buying it but the co-op is very, very basic.  

12. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 17:47 Tipsy McStagger

PLUG,

I picked up an Oculus Rift and loaded up ELITE DANGEROUS.

Let me tell you.. it's probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. It's like VR was designed to be perfect for space flight sim.

Why does this apply to No Man's Sky No Man Should Buy? Elite is a much better game, play that instead. I goes on sale for like 15$ and horizons for 20$ too.

11. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 16:14 jdreyer

Nucas wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 15:03:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:10:
The ships in this game are procedural. Are the weapons, armor, shields, etc, too?

i don't think they were procedural aside from color scheme and randomized stats. i haven't played since last november but at that time all the ships drew from a pool of archetypes. colors and installed mods varied, but nothing else. and as i recall the shield and armor mods had fixed stats depending on the type. i may be misunderstanding what you're asking.

but to clarify what i said, it used to be when your sentinel wanted level was high enough in space, they'd deploy a sentinel capital ship after you which had a fixed design like all their other models. after shooting it enough, it would stop returning fire, and eventually just disappear.

Yeah the ships looked procedural, but the weapons looked samey. So I was wondering if they were procedural like Borderlands had procedural weapons and Shields.

And I think the sentinels are one of the biggest missed opportunities. The should have been just as procedural as the Flora and fauna. Then each time you battled one it could be a unique and challenging puzzle to overcome.

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 16:07 fishingtime

They know there will be no lawsuit, so they continue to rip off children  

9. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 15:03 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:10:
The ships in this game are procedural. Are the weapons, armor, shields, etc, too?

i don't think they were procedural aside from color scheme and randomized stats. i haven't played since last november but at that time all the ships drew from a pool of archetypes. colors and installed mods varied, but nothing else. and as i recall the shield and armor mods had fixed stats depending on the type. i may be misunderstanding what you're asking.

but to clarify what i said, it used to be when your sentinel wanted level was high enough in space, they'd deploy a sentinel capital ship after you which had a fixed design like all their other models. after shooting it enough, it would stop returning fire, and eventually just disappear.

8. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 14:10 jdreyer

Nucas wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 13:59:
i think i'll have to re-install for this. i put 130 hours into it over last summer when i was traveling a lot for work, it was an easy game to pick up and play and relax with. the new story additions have my attention, and apparently space combat has been tweaked as well.

i wonder if you can still 'destroy' a capital ship and it just vanishes because they never coded a destruction sequence.

these guys were completely full of shit but i enjoyed the game and i'm also enjoying seeing it shaping up.

Stay a while, and listen.

7. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 13:59 Nucas

i think i'll have to re-install for this. i put 130 hours into it over last summer when i was traveling a lot for work, it was an easy game to pick up and play and relax with. the new story additions have my attention, and apparently space combat has been tweaked as well.

i wonder if you can still 'destroy' a capital ship and it just vanishes because they never coded a destruction sequence.

these guys were completely full of shit but i enjoyed the game and i'm also enjoying seeing it shaping up.

6. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 13:57 Kxmode

What we do is much more important than what we say, but since launch we have sometimes focused too much on that.

That's a huge understatement of epic proportions.

TamperMonkey scripts: Hide Users on BluesNews, Min price Filter for SteamDB

5. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 12:08 UttiniDaKilrJawa

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 12:04:
RoboNerd wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 10:41:
Downloaded the update this morning on my PS4. Got in the game saw a few of the new additions, then teleported back to my base, stepped out the front door and through the ground into limbo. I think I'll shelve this again until they patch the new update. Annoyed

Teleport back to base seems borked. On PC here tp'd back to base and got stuck in the wall by the science station. No matter how many times I reload, same problem.

Welp, seems I fixed my issue. Deleted the science terminal I was stuck in, not a wall afterall.

4. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 12:04 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Downloaded the update this morning on my PS4. Got in the game saw a few of the new additions, then teleported back to my base, stepped out the front door and through the ground into limbo. I think I'll shelve this again until they patch the new update. Annoyed

Teleport back to base seems borked. On PC here tp'd back to base and got stuck in the wall by the science station. No matter how many times I reload, same problem.

3. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 The Half Elf

That was the new portal system right?

Holy shit they have added "limited co-op".

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

2. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 10:52 RedEye9

lol

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

1. Re: No Man's Sky Patch This Week Aug 11, 2017, 10:41 RoboNerd

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo