Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I booted my PC this morning and encountered oddly sluggish performance. I found that my CPU usage was pegged at a steady 100% in spite of running no foreground applications and no processes claiming responsibility for overworking my processor. I conducted a investigation for a few minutes, which was futile, so my years of tech training and experience suggested a reboot was the first solution to attempt (don't try this stuff at home, I'm a professional). Mousing over the start button just made the cursor go all hourglass on me, so I channeled my inner Neanderthal and hit the reboot button (albeit not with a club). After booting the problem was solved. Thanks unfrozen caveman PC technician!

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Doge Miner 2.
Science: Scientists de-bug pig genome in preparation for farming organ donors.
Media: Tiny island in New York City that nobody is allowed to visit.
Mars Curiosity: 5 Year Timelapse.
Frisbee Dog Fail.
Lions are fast.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 16:01 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:21:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 15:21:
Also watch 'The Road' if you really want to imagine what would be left of the USA after a nuclear apocalypse (my old lady actually cried while watching this... good times)
One of the most bleak and horrific movies ever made. Glad I watched it, but will never see it again.
Oh wow, I remember seeing the trailer for that once, but never saw it was playing in the theaters. Does look bleak, maybe I can catch it on the movie channels some day.... I like me some Viggo..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 14:06 Capella

SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:31:
One of the most bleak and horrific movies ever made. Glad I watched it, but will never see it again.
Yup, my wife cussed me after the movie for wanting to watch it. I told her before it started that it wasn't a "feel good" kinda movie but she insisted on watching it.

No WAY i'll ever watch it again...

Here are a couple of bleak options for you. For readers try Alas, Babylon. It's old but paints a very bleak picture. As for movies try Testament. That still gives me nightmares to this day.

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 09:35 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 02:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:54:
We can always use the oil.

Heh. I think Dick Cheney wants to offer you a job.
Are you implying he needs a hunting partner?

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 09:15 Mr. Tact

Quboid wrote on Aug 12, 2017, 09:08:
I don't know about the second part of that. If he wanted to distract people from his Russia connections, he's done a decent job.
I really doubt he's that strategic. He is simply responding to the cable news story he has seen most recently. He is unable to concentrate on a single subject for more than three minutes, "distracting" the news cycle away from the Russia story is a side benefit. The closest he might have gotten to planning it was to think to himself, "I'm not going to talk about Russia."

36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 09:08 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:41:
Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is.

I don't know about the second part of that. If he wanted to distract people from his Russia connections, he's done a decent job.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

35. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 02:47 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:54:

Heh. I think Dick Cheney wants to offer you a job.

Stay a while, and listen.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 02:47 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:54:
It's not just The Donald though. There are no shortage or right-wing kooks and pit-bulls in the military who only get hard at the prospect of war, and they do their earnest best to make that happen. What did I say after the election - same thing I say every time the GOP takes a majority - and that's within 2 years they'll be starting a war somewhere...because they always do. Now he's shooting his mouth off about invading Venezuela.

Right, the entire reason of having civilian control of the military is to hold the dogs at bay. The problem today is that most of DJT's staff are retired generals...

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2017, 02:44 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:31:
While I agree, in general, the DPRK "isn't that stupid." Mistakes happen, even big ones. What if they goof? Trump's statements are incredibly irresponsible. His inappropriate speech and behavior are simply dangerous. And while this is going on we essentially skip over his "thanking" Putin for forcing 775 diplomats out of Russia. I admit I can no longer tell if he has no connection to reality or simply doesn't give a flying fuck.

Well, sure. DPRK is used to playing the part of the petulant child, asking for the moon, and getting some scraps when the adults agree to placate them with the bare minimum. That's how they've been doing things. It's just the case that there's another petulant child on the other side now, and he's in charge of the most powerful military in world history. You're right that this immature tit for tat could spiral out of control because DJT doesn't know the "rules" and DPRK doesn't know how to play any other way.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 21:54 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:29:
Trying to predict the actions of Donnie, is only slightly less difficult than predicting the DPRK...
On that count we are fucked. http://www.factcheck.org/2017/08/trump-misfires-nuclear-weapons-boast/ At least Kim don't tweet.
Did you know the orange hairball in the wh is an idiot (rhetorical)
Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 21:54:
Now he's shooting his mouth off about invading Venezuela.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 21:54 Cutter

It's not just The Donald though. There are no shortage or right-wing kooks and pit-bulls in the military who only get hard at the prospect of war, and they do their earnest best to make that happen. What did I say after the election - same thing I say every time the GOP takes a majority - and that's within 2 years they'll be starting a war somewhere...because they always do. Now he's shooting his mouth off about invading Venezuela.  

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 21:29 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:54:
We have had nuclear weapons for over 70 years with no appreciable accidents. What if we goof?

As for donnie, he was an idiot and used inappropriate speech and behavior long before he was on the campaign trail, nothing has changed.
Yes, we've had them that long -- and despite our years of practice and professional standards (not to mention the bureaucracy -- yes, even with nukes) we have mistakenly transported nukes more than once. Sure, transporting and launching are totally different. How much money would you like to bet on the standards of the DPRK military in this regard?

And yes, nothing has changed with Trump. Again, do you trust the DPRK to realize "it's just Donnie"?

I understand what you are saying RedEye, and I hope your sentiment is correct. Trying to predict the actions of Donnie, is only slightly less difficult than predicting the DPRK...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 20:54 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 20:31:
While I agree, in general, the DPRK "isn't that stupid." Mistakes happen, even big ones. What if they goof?
We have had nuclear weapons for over 70 years with no appreciable accidents. What if we goof?

As for donnie, he was an idiot and used inappropriate speech and behavior long before he was on the campaign trail, nothing has changed.

Favorite new fact.
"If you could reason with a Trump Supporter, there would be none."

28. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 20:31 Mr. Tact

While I agree, in general, the DPRK "isn't that stupid." Mistakes happen, even big ones. What if they goof? Trump's statements are incredibly irresponsible. His inappropriate speech and behavior are simply dangerous. And while this is going on we essentially skip over his "thanking" Putin for forcing 775 diplomats out of Russia. I admit I can no longer tell if he has no connection to reality or simply doesn't give a flying fuck.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 18:55 RedEye9

DPRK has been very good at walking up to the crazy line without going over it to get what they want. They're not stupid, and have been playing this game for decades. Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is. So yes, this is a bit scary. Thing is, DPRK can nuke Guam or Hawaii, and we'll be unable to reciprocate due to the proximity of China and South Korea. So they have us a bit over a barrel.
Like you said, DPRK is not stupid.
They are not going to nuke anyone, the whole world would turn on them.
Sabre rattling pure and simple.
Pence warns N. Korea

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2017, 18:00 Scottish Martial Arts

Thing is, DPRK can nuke Guam or Hawaii, and we'll be unable to reciprocate due to the proximity of China and South Korea.

We'd pretty much have to respond in kind to maintain nuclear deterrence. I also have trouble imagining a scenario in which the DPRK launches nukes at US soil but isn't also engaged in a final, cataclysmic battle with South Korea. As for China, they're dropping hints in state run media that they will only consider intervening on the North's behalf if the US launches a first strike.

Honestly, if anyone but Trump were president of the US, then there'd be nothing to particularly worry about with regard to the present developments in NK. If Trump were to stop mouthing off and escalating the situation with fewer face-saving outs for NK, then this would be just another one of the "walking up to the crazy line" scenarios you mentioned. But with Trump being the loose cannon he is, it feels like there is now a chance, however small, that this escalates to the point that it spins out of control and into a military conflict that goes nuclear.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 17:13 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 16:50:
DPRK has been very good at walking up to the crazy line without going over it to get what they want. They're not stupid, and have been playing this game for decades. Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is. So yes, this is a bit scary. Thing is, DPRK can nuke Guam or Hawaii, and we'll be unable to reciprocate due to the proximity of China and South Korea.
North Korea claims they are going to launch 4 missiles towards Guam to land just off their coast and... in a way I hope they do. If we can shoot those 4 missiles down it will show NK that they really can't fuck with us. Unfortunately... if we happen to miss ANY of those missiles... well... it's gonna be embarrassing and a boost to N. Korea

There's a THAAD battery on Guam and one on Hawaii. It's a high quality system but easily overwhelmed, as it only has 24 intercepters and they're usually launched in pairs. Still it should be sufficient. But let us hope it doesn't come to that. Even a conventional war on the Korean peninsula would result in millions of casualties and 100s of billions in damage, mostly to South Korea. And that's assuming China doesn't get involved.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 16:50 SlimRam

DPRK has been very good at walking up to the crazy line without going over it to get what they want. They're not stupid, and have been playing this game for decades. Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is. So yes, this is a bit scary. Thing is, DPRK can nuke Guam or Hawaii, and we'll be unable to reciprocate due to the proximity of China and South Korea.
North Korea claims they are going to launch 4 missiles towards Guam to land just off their coast and... in a way I hope they do. If we can shoot those 4 missiles down it will show NK that they really can't fuck with us. Unfortunately... if we happen to miss ANY of those missiles... well... it's gonna be embarrassing and a boost to N. Korea

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 16:41 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 13:32:
"Locked and loaded"? Are you fucking kidding me? Does he think this is some 80s action flick? Jesus Christ it's like watching some horrible movie that's a cross between The Omen and The Twilight Zone.

The US Navy is pushing into Chinese territorial waters. South Korea is losing its shit. And now India just escalated with China and war looks like it may be a forgone conclusion at this point. Fuck man, shit is getting real out there.
China is a signatory of UNCLOS. The South China Sea is international territory. You can't claim the ocean. And building artificial islands does not expand your EEZ.

DPRK has been very good at walking up to the crazy line without going over it to get what they want. They're not stupid, and have been playing this game for decades. Trump is stupid, and can't see the game for what it is. So yes, this is a bit scary. Thing is, DPRK can nuke Guam or Hawaii, and we'll be unable to reciprocate due to the proximity of China and South Korea. So they have us a bit over a barrel.

As for India and China, they have had border clashes before. It won't spread beyond that.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 16:31 SlimRam

Yup, my wife cussed me after the movie for wanting to watch it. I told her before it started that it wasn't a "feel good" kinda movie but she insisted on watching it.

No WAY i'll ever watch it again...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 16:21 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 15:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 15:15:
71% of liberals and conservatives agreed that they would rather live in a nuclear wasteland than learn to speak French.
I've picked up a little from my travels... let me see here... ahem:

"Ce goût de merde comme le cul"

Also watch 'The Road' if you really want to imagine what would be left of the USA after a nuclear apocalypse (my old lady actually cried while watching this... good times)

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo