Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales

GITHYP has some analysis of the launch numbers for LawBreakers, the just released first person shooter from Cliff Bleszinski and Boss Key Productions (thanks PCGamesN). Unfortunately these don't look good, as they note a significant drop off in players from the beta period, and say the game topped out at about 3000 concurrent players. This makes for unfavorable comparisons with the launch of Battleborn, which had a much bigger launch, and is still considered a flop. Here's word:

Now, LawBreakers has officially launched on Steam, and despite very positive reviews, the player counts are lower than ever. 60% lower than the beta to be exact with the gameís launch night topping out at 3k concurrent players.

We had originally compared the low player counts to one of last yearís biggest class-based shooter flops, Battleborn. Sadly, that comparison might now be a bit generous considering that Battleborn launched with a peak of 12k players which ranked it as high as #19 on Steamís most played list.

The beta for LawBreakers hit #73 on Steam at its best, but since the official launch, the playerbase has been struggling to crack Steamís top 100. With only a peak of 2.7k players on Tuesday and daily lows already close to dropping below 1k concurrent players, itís unlikely that LawBreakers will be able to do much better in its current state.

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 12, 2017, 02:54 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:45:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:16:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 08:23:
Sorry Cliffy, PC gamers NEVER forget.

Gamers are elephants?
Not really, but thanks to the internet, it helps us elder folk remember who to keep off our lawn (Just turned 50 on the 18th!)

Congratulations! Now go take that occult fecal blood test so you can prevent that colon cancer and live another 50!

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 20:46 Mordecai Walfish

Slick wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 00:19:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:42:
WaltC wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 21:14:
But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most successful engine of all time, in terms of adoption worldwide by (both AAA and indie) gaming studios.. I thought this was pretty well known?

Incorrect.

If you meant to say that UE3 was so popular, you'd have a modicum of a point. UE4 however, is an entirely different beast, and has not seen the widespread adoption as UE3 enjoyed. And for good reason, UE4 is fucking SHITE.

I like lawbreakers, but goddamn, playing on medium with poo textures and overall quality and STILL getting frame drops left and right, then switching to BF1 and within 10 seconds I remember what it's like to aim in real-time again... while the game looks amazing.

EU4 borrowed too much from UE3, they're slapping new coats of paint on an old frame. Frostbite however was designed the opposite way, they designed it to be used with hardware 10 years in the future, and then gimped it down. Every couple years they remove a couple layers of paint to show the gem inside.

You seem to have a bit of tunnel vision in thinking exclusively of FPS games in this comparison, but UE4 has broken ground that was never thought possible by previous middleware engines, namely being so widely adopted overseas by Japanese devs. Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5, Fatal Fury XIV, The new Kingdom Hearts game and the remake of Final Fantasy 7 are ALL being done in UE4. UE3 may have had more in terms of raw number of titles developed with it, but UE4 has reached farther than any other western-developed gaming engine that I know of. I won't argue that DiCE doesn't have an excellent engine as well, but it's only used for like 4 or 5 games, total.

†††††††††

60. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 14:45 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 14:16:

Gamers are elephants?
Not really, but thanks to the internet, it helps us elder folk remember who to keep off our lawn (Just turned 50 on the 18th!)

59. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 14:16 jdreyer

Gamers are elephants?

Stay a while, and listen.

58. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 13:52 Blahman

Well I for one am enjoying it a lot. Assassin grapple + shotgun is too much fun.

If anyone is on the fence about it, just buy it and enjoy. Ignore the negative nancies who haven't even played it.

57. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 08:23 SlimRam

Sorry Cliffy, PC gamers NEVER forget. Something you should probably remember...

Now run along and suck Microsoft's cock and be their bitch again; it's really all that you'll ever be known for (Gears of War).

I hear that Wal-Mart is hiring.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2017, 10:33.

56. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 01:56 Steele Johnson

The game style is too dated. Arena fps has evolved a bit over the years. You can't expect the same ol' same ol' to keep an audience captivated when there are other more interesting choices in the genre. Cliffy needs to break out of he early 2000s.  

55. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 00:19 Slick

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:42:
But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably the most successful engine of all time, in terms of adoption worldwide by (both AAA and indie) gaming studios.. I thought this was pretty well known?

Incorrect.

If you meant to say that UE3 was so popular, you'd have a modicum of a point. UE4 however, is an entirely different beast, and has not seen the widespread adoption as UE3 enjoyed. And for good reason, UE4 is fucking SHITE.

I like lawbreakers, but goddamn, playing on medium with poo textures and overall quality and STILL getting frame drops left and right, then switching to BF1 and within 10 seconds I remember what it's like to aim in real-time again... while the game looks amazing.

EU4 borrowed too much from UE3, they're slapping new coats of paint on an old frame. Frostbite however was designed the opposite way, they designed it to be used with hardware 10 years in the future, and then gimped it down. Every couple years they remove a couple layers of paint to show the gem inside.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

54. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 11, 2017, 00:12 Slick

Angrius Maximis wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 22:24:
Actually we are refusing to by it because its a shitty rehash of every game released in the past fucking 10 months...enough already

I've never seen a game that does mobility like LB does. Never even seen a game TRY to do mobility like what LB does. I understand that this isn't important for all people, but for some of us, it's VERY important.

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

53. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 11, 2017, 00:11 Slick

Remember Super Mario Bros 2?

Where you got to pick your character at the beginning, and the difference between them was solely their mobility? Yeah, that's what Lawbreakers is. Every class has a different way of getting around, and somehow they all work together. For people that enjoy fast-paced arena games LIKE overwatch, it's pretty fun. If you told me that lawbreakers was made by Blizzard and Overwatch by whoever, I wouldn't argue. Same with BattleBorn, it has that cartoony "blizzard" vibe if you didn't know any better. Too bad that this mob mentality for the peons is destroying gaming, I mean, when OW gets 10,000,000 players, and Lawbreakers gets 2,000. There's something very wrong with that picture.

TL DR:

Blizzard already haz this game guise. No other interesting games acceptable. 1 game per genre PLZ.

52. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2017, 22:42 Mordecai Walfish

†††††††††

51. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 22:24 Angrius Maximis

Actually we are refusing to by it because its a shitty rehash of every game released in the past fucking 10 months...enough already  

50. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 21:14 WaltC

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 10:05:
I'm sure some people are refusing to buy it because cliffyb has been a giant dick against PC players.

Some are refusing to buy it because it looks too twitchy or other gameplay related reasons.

I'm pretty sure most people refuse to buy it because they have Overwatch already.

I don't buy multiplayer games at all--just not interested in them. Never owned consoles and never will, but now the new ~4k-capable consoles from Sony and Microsoft are little more than low-priced PCs of lower mid-range power at best--but they are PCs, even if they aren't expandable and upgradable as actual PCs are. The value is there at $300-$400, though. Because they leverage the PC marketplace. So Cliffy B. got it all backwards...;)

The PC never died--which anyone half awake could have seen--but what happened was that the "console" is what "died" and the PC ate it...;) That's precisely what happened. But Cliffy B. is not too terribly bright, it seems to me, and never has been, so watching his stuff flop is not at all surprising for me. Smart people interpret data with an open-mind and don't allow presumption and assumption to color their decisions--the opposite of how Cliffy B did things. Epic wasn't Cliffy B--never was and never will be. Epic is Sweeney--it's Unreal and UT and the Unreal Engine. Always has been and always will be.

Sweeney and Carmack both dropped out of the PC marketplace (Carmack stayed in a little but Sweeney got completely out) into the much easier console markets when competition got really strong in the x86 Windows gaming markets. But all of that is water over the dam now and I wish Sweeney well on his return to Windows and with his Unreal 4 PC game engine--hope it does well. It seems to me that the only merit Cliffy B can rightfully claim is his association with Epic which benefited him far more than he was of benefit to Epic. Insofar as Cliffy B. was responsible for Epic foolishly dropping out of the PC markets, then to that degree Epic will be better off without him. I shed no tears when B. left Epic. There's nowhere for him to go but down and out. Advising Sweeney to dump all over the very people and marketplace that put Epic on the map always left a sour taste in my mouth, and I suppose I am still prejudiced a bit about that. Sweeney got off to such a great start with Unreal and UT on the PC--sigh...well, here's his chance to get back into the big leagues again. I wish him and Epic well.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

49. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 20:52 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 12:55:
Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 10:05:
I'm sure some people are refusing to buy it because cliffyb has been a giant dick against PC players.

Some are refusing to buy it because it looks too twitchy or other gameplay related reasons.

I'm pretty sure most people refuse to buy it because they have Overwatch already.

Overwatch (and PUBG, h/t Timmeh) is the crux of the issue. When you make a character based shooter, the characters have to be unique, identifiable, and memorable. I'm not really getting that from LB. And the game had better be polished to a T if you're going to go up against Blizzard.

Lastly, I feel like their ad campaign was lacking.

What AD campaign? I haven't seen anything about any of their apparently "unique" characters. Or at least I can't remember it (which might be worse)

48. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 20:06 Droniac

Interestingly the queue times seem to be really low, even compared to Overwatch, despite it topping at barely 2k concurrent today.

It's a shame that pretty much nobody who does still play arena FPS is going to touch it right now. Small as those various communities are, they still could've given this a boost into 5k concurrent range. But releasing shortly after Quake Champions went into open beta and in the midst of QC's World Championships? While Overwatch has an event on too? Not a chance.

Ah well, when this game eventually dies a quiet death, at least I can still boot it up to listen to its awesome soundtrack

47. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 18:43 RaZ0r!

Don't blame me. I was in beta and told them repeatedly they had nothing new or special. I know TotalBiscuit told them that as well, and that they heard him.

Euro gamer lawbreakers TB's comments seem to have gotten heard

Ah well.

46. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 18:42 Creston

Flatline wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 18:07:
Wasn't this game in development for like years? I have this vague feeling like I heard Lawbreakers get announced like 2-3 years ago. It seemed an awful long time for a 60 dollar or whatever release.

It's 30 bucks, which is a very commendable price point, but even so, eh.

45. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 18:07 Flatline

Wasn't this game in development for like years? I have this vague feeling like I heard Lawbreakers get announced like 2-3 years ago. It seemed an awful long time for a 60 dollar or whatever release.  

44. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 17:59 Blackhawk

The market right now is absolutely saturated with multiplayer focused shooters. With single player games you can get away with that, as people play for a few weeks then play something else. Most people don't play more than one or two multiplayer games at a time, and they tend to play them for longer periods before switching.  

43. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 17:26 gsilver

Maybe part of it was too many open beta events. I certainly had had my fill of the game before it even officially came out.  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo