Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was rooting around the archive here to test my recollection that today is some sort of gaming anniversary. Seems that memory was mistaken, but I did notice that 12 years ago I wrote about fighting a little pain in my hand and wrist. I mentioned two factors, a switch in mouse brands from Microsoft to Logitech and my use of the right mouse button as the move forward command in shooters. In reading this it struck me as a good illustration of what a creature of habit I am. The right mouse button thing came from the original DOOM or Wolfenstein 3D, so I was still using that over 10 years later. And while most gamers had long favored Logitech mice, I stuck with MS until some point in 2005. The good news is somewhere around that time I finally adjusted to properly using the "W" for forward in my WASD configuration, which eased my physical pain, and has made it easier to use games with a near default configuration. I also stuck with Logitech mice for almost the entire interim, but I recently switched to a Razer. We'll see if that ends up standing the test of time for me. I like the mouse, but I'm noticing a little squeak at times from the wheel, so it remains to be seen whether or not this results in a decade of brand loyalty.

Squeaky Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: StrikeForce Kitty.
Link: Acting Madly: the secret history of the lost MAD-alike magazines of the satire boom.
Story: Walmart apologizes for sign marketing guns as back-to-school items.
Media: On The Wings of a Battman - Cyanide & Happiness Shorts.
Fighter Fixes Opponent's Dislocated Shoulder. Hurts his left throwing a right?
Follow-up: Alcohol is more poisonous than copper in Moscow Mules.
The Funnies: Tactical Capture Cable - Behind the GIFs. Thanks Kxmode.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2017, 00:28 The Half Elf

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:09:
I've got a Logitech G5 that i've been using for a good 9 years now and it's still going strong and is awesome. I have 2 of them.. best mouse i've ever owned.

[url=]https://www.evertek.com/imageshare/9/300x300/910-000093-R-unit.jpg[/url]

I have the same mouse and love it with 1 exception... the height of the mouse wheel sits quite a bit higher then the last logitech mouse I bought to replace the MX 518 (still have it and use it as a backup if I need to take a mouse to my sisters house, DEATH TO TOUCHPADS!).

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 22:56 eRe4s3r

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:47:
Hoop wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:03:
I had Logitechs for years as my hands are large.
Went to replace one 7 or so years ago & all they had were Razer Deathadders that suited my size so thought what the hell.
Best mouse ever.
With my recent upgrades I have been trying to find an excuse to replace the same said mouse but it's as good as the day I bought it, amazing for it's light construction. The only advantage in going to the new Deathadder is two more buttons behind the scroll wheel which could be useful in BF1.
I recently looked at Mumbas & other brands but if you look at reviews from Deathadder owners there is no going back.
Mouse pads play a big part in the performance, I'm loath to replace my worn older version Razer Goliathius "fast" surface. I bought it with the mouse & it's basicly just an unstitched 5mm pad of wetsuit material. Now they are stitched, thinner & too slick, people complain of the stitching affecting their wrist in long gaming sessions so I'm sticking with what works.
The mouse & mouse pad can affect your wrist, arm & neck health dramatically.

After years of using trackballs of various design, I don't understand why more people don't use them. Personally, I can't stand using a regular mouse, and I wonder how other people put up with them for so long, especially wired ones. Pick-up-and-drag is annoying and tiresome on the wrist. And if you use a mousepad, and you're always running off the edge... The worst!

? On a good mouse-pad + mx518 / g400 (and death-adder too) 2cm movement covers the entire screen..... you can never run out of mouse-pad, unless you play on a beer bottle or something....

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 22:41 Hoop

....... And I now own the new version Deathadder elite mouse & medium speed pad.
Pad worked out just about free with the sale price on both.
Pretty RGB colours nice comfortable thumb grip on side two extra buttons on top, nipple grips on the scroll wheel which actually work really well ...gotta love nipples!

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 18:59 Mordecai Walfish

20+ yrs later and I'm still using the right mouse button for jump. I used a Logitech trackman marble for about a decade (doom, quake1, 2 & 3) and got my first Microsoft mouse in 2006, and then the mx518, which quickly became a favorite. The successor g400s (which is superior in almost every way), I liked so much that I bought a bundle of them. Same shape as the 518, but much better sensor. Haven't had a single one break yet either, surprisingly.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 17:36 Kxmode

Today is National Spoil Your Dog Day. Woof!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 17:33 Hoop

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:47:
After years of using trackballs of various design, I don't understand why more people don't use them. Personally, I can't stand using a regular mouse, and I wonder how other people put up with them for so long, especially wired ones. Pick-up-and-drag is annoying and tiresome on the wrist. And if you use a mousepad, and you're always running off the edge... The worst!

Dude the deathadders optical sensor is 16,000 dpi there is no pickup & drag of the mouse at all. On a fast surface it's just very small shifts of movement.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2017, 22:49.

Um .. Behind you...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 17:29 eRe4s3r

I still have a 518MX refurb and would not trade it for the world.... but time is running out for that thing ;/ Razer mice GAVE me RSI originally, so yeah. I can't handle tiny edgy mice, my hand needs to rest properly on the mouse and especially thumb has to rest in the little pocket.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 16:50 BobBob

Do think it will happen?  
Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 16:47 ForgedReality

Hoop wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:03:
Went to replace one 7 or so years ago & all they had were Razer Deathadders that suited my size so thought what the hell.
Best mouse ever.
With my recent upgrades I have been trying to find an excuse to replace the same said mouse but it's as good as the day I bought it, amazing for it's light construction. The only advantage in going to the new Deathadder is two more buttons behind the scroll wheel which could be useful in BF1.
I recently looked at Mumbas & other brands but if you look at reviews from Deathadder owners there is no going back.
Mouse pads play a big part in the performance, I'm loath to replace my worn older version Razer Goliathius "fast" surface. I bought it with the mouse & it's basicly just an unstitched 5mm pad of wetsuit material. Now they are stitched, thinner & too slick, people complain of the stitching affecting their wrist in long gaming sessions so I'm sticking with what works.

14. Re: Razer Mice Aug 10, 2017, 16:46 afka Rossini

I've been using a Razer DeathAdder mouse for so long now I've forgotten when I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was back around 2010 if not earlier. It still works great.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 16:09 Tipsy McStagger

I've got a Logitech G5 that i've been using for a good 9 years now and it's still going strong and is awesome. I have 2 of them.. best mouse i've ever owned.

[url=]https://www.evertek.com/imageshare/9/300x300/910-000093-R-unit.jpg[/url]

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 16:03 Hoop

Best mouse ever.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2017, 16:35.

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 15:37 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 14:23:
Walmart apologizes for sign marketing guns as back-to-school items.

When I first saw that yesterday, I thought it was satire...

It is tone deaf given all the school shootings of late.

Seeing as it's - apparently - localized to one store it sounds more like a few employees were just trying to stir up some shit.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 14:27 jdreyer

I had a Logitech MX 518 I bought 10 years ago. Liked it so much I immediately bought another, since I know these things go out of production. The first one lasted 6 years before dying. So I opened the new one, and it died in six months.

Now I just use cheap Chinese knock-offs. They typically last only 2-3 years, but at $15 each, I don't really care.

Stay a while, and listen.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 14:23 jdreyer

Walmart apologizes for sign marketing guns as back-to-school items.

When I first saw that yesterday, I thought it was satire...

It is tone deaf given all the school shootings of late.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 14:21 jdreyer

ForgedReality wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 11:28:

Also, I LOOOOOOVE my thumbballs.

Just don't say that in mixed company, mate.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 14:09 aka_STEVE

Used dozens of brands & only Corsair and Logitech have held up with quality and great support....

*Razer always crapped out around 6-8 month range

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2017, 13:11 Kxmode

Head's up. Free open beta from Friday until Sunday for Guild Wars 2 latest expansion. You don't need to own the game to play.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

5. No subject Aug 10, 2017, 13:05 osage no onna

I bought a random cheap gaming mouse to hold me over for a while when my Logitech MX518 broke, and it's been about a decade and it's only now starting to fail (the wheel is a bit hard to depress in some positions, although it still works). That Logitech broke in a year or two, but this one feels like it'd happily go another decade if I didn't mind the wheel. Never heard of the company before or since (Sharkoon). Probably should've gotten another one from them, but there was a nice deal on a Logitech so I guess I'll give them a go again.  

4. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Aug 10, 2017, 12:50 {PH}88fingers

Yeah I used Razer a bit but the mice kept dying out way too early. I switched to the Sensei Steelseries and loved it for ages now. best mouse and I have tried loads and once in a while if my right hand wrist starts acting up I can switch to left handed since its an ambi mouse. win/win  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo