Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Starflight Remake Plans?

Brian Fargo tweets a response to a question on Twitter asking if inXile is making a Starflight remake (thanks D). He says they are not, but intriguingly indicates that someone else may be making some sort of new version of the classic space exploration game first released in 1986. He doesn't say this is definitive, but suggests little birds are suggesting things:

Not us but a little birdy might have slipped that a reboot is in the works.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 10, 2017, 16:14 JoatrashFX

jdreyer wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 13:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 09:05:
sounds great, good luck!
Yeah, send Blue an update when you guys reach a showable milestone.

I will absolutely! Thanks again for the kind words of support. : )

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 10, 2017, 13:47 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 09:05:
JoatrashFX wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 06:24:

1. We're a very small team working on the prototype, so not as far as I'd like but most of the basic design is done and currently making graphical assets for the prototype. Our programmer (who has worked on real-life space missions such as Rosetta and one of the Mars probes) is currently working on all the data-modules so that we can start doing things like building the universe and solar systems. Unfortunately, it's one of those games where you need to build a huge chunk of it before you have anything to show or play. There's a ton of stuff that needs to be built systems-wise.

2. Once we have something to show, that proves we can actually pull this thing off, then possibly yes. After having produced several indie games, I don't want to make the mistake of overreaching...

3. Only if you exclusively drink Lone Star beer. And maybe Coors, but maybe that's more of a Georgia-thing?

4. I know, I know. *hangs head in shame* It was mainly a quick way to get the name out there for a start after we regged the website and connect with a bunch of peers. At this point I'd rather us be pouring time into the proto than PR.
sounds great, good luck!
Yeah, send Blue an update when you guys reach a showable milestone.

Stay a while, and listen.

22. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 10, 2017, 09:05 RedEye9

JoatrashFX wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 06:24:

1. We're a very small team working on the prototype, so not as far as I'd like but most of the basic design is done and currently making graphical assets for the prototype. Our programmer (who has worked on real-life space missions such as Rosetta and one of the Mars probes) is currently working on all the data-modules so that we can start doing things like building the universe and solar systems. Unfortunately, it's one of those games where you need to build a huge chunk of it before you have anything to show or play. There's a ton of stuff that needs to be built systems-wise.

2. Once we have something to show, that proves we can actually pull this thing off, then possibly yes. After having produced several indie games, I don't want to make the mistake of overreaching...

3. Only if you exclusively drink Lone Star beer. And maybe Coors, but maybe that's more of a Georgia-thing?

4. I know, I know. *hangs head in shame* It was mainly a quick way to get the name out there for a start after we regged the website and connect with a bunch of peers. At this point I'd rather us be pouring time into the proto than PR.
sounds great, good luck!

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

21. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 10, 2017, 06:24 JoatrashFX

jdreyer wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 22:57:

1. How far along are you guys?

2. Will there be a KS?

3. Does my pilot have to be from Texas?

4. Facebook? Really?

20. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 23:08 RedEye9

One evening I was playing this on a buddies Tandy TRS something or other and doing quite well. When out of nowhere Interstel Police ships approached me. I had no idea it was the games anti-theft protection so I started shooting the crap out of em, I may have even destroyed one. It disabled my engines and left me stranded. Talk about freaking out. lol

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
http://spaf.cerias.purdue.edu/quotes.html

19. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 22:57 jdreyer

JoatrashFX wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 18:04:
Hello all. Long time (early 00s) reader but finally regged to post 'cause Starflight comes up every so often.

While not a direct remake, very (very) indie and still a waaaays off, there's this little thing I'm part of: https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarPilot (We have a website too but haven't really set it up yet.)

I still play Starflight on my tiny tablet PC and it's at least partly responsible for me getting into the industry to begin with. It's incredible how it still holds up in theme despite the primitive tech. There are so many space games around these days but none of them focus on exploring; it's all empire-building and grand strategy or endlessly randomized and procedurally generated, which I'm not too fond of. I just want a little ship, a crew and a (hand-crafted) great unknown to play around in. It'd be great to see an official remake. There was an attempt at an unofficial part three a few years ago, but I don't know if it was ever finished. I remember looking at some of the design data and tables they were using from the original and it was pretty complex.

1. How far along are you guys?

2. Will there be a KS?

3. Does my pilot have to be from Texas?

4. Facebook? Really?

Stay a while, and listen.

18. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 22:04 Ozmodan

I can remember playing this in the den on my pc hooked up to the TV so I could see it in color as I only had an amber monitor.

One of my all time favorite games.

17. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 21:14 JoatrashFX

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 20:59:
Hello all. Long time (early 00s) reader but finally regged to post 'cause Starflight comes up every so often.

Welcome.

Thank you!

16. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 20:59 Creston

Welcome.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 9, 2017, 19:23 Tom

Does anyone really think there's someone out there up to the task of doing a proper remake of Starflight at this point?

Not to mention the space genre is severely cursed.

14. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 19:04 House

This is - no joke - my favorite game from my childhood. But it's also a game that hasn't aged well, especially the interface and saved game system, so I'd welcome a remake.  

13. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 18:04 JoatrashFX

While not a direct remake, very (very) indie and still a waaaays off, there's this little thing I'm part of: https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarPilot (We have a website too but haven't really set it up yet.)

I still play Starflight on my tiny tablet PC and it's at least partly responsible for me getting into the industry to begin with. It's incredible how it still holds up in theme despite the primitive tech. There are so many space games around these days but none of them focus on exploring; it's all empire-building and grand strategy or endlessly randomized and procedurally generated, which I'm not too fond of. I just want a little ship, a crew and a (hand-crafted) great unknown to play around in. It'd be great to see an official remake. There was an attempt at an unofficial part three a few years ago, but I don't know if it was ever finished. I remember looking at some of the design data and tables they were using from the original and it was pretty complex.

12. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 17:55 Orogogus

Star Control II was basically a remake of Starflight. Not identical, but very, very similar. Close enough that you have to believe that SC2 would have been a different game if Starflight never existed.  

11. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 17:53 Medvanis

I remember playing this on my Leading Edge Model D, 256k RAM, with twin (yes twin) floppy drives. What great memories...this game was so fun. I would love a remake/reboot/sequel  

10. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 17:17 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 16:31:
What's inXile working on besides Wasteland 3? Is the Bard's Tale remake out already?

Hell no, dude. They barely managed to squeeze out Torment almost two and a half years late so BT4 which was scheduled for an October 2017 release per the KS will probably be a 2019 game.
Although... on second thought it seems likely that it may make 2018. After the way that TToN failed I'm guessing that inXile might take some shortcuts with the Bard and spend a little less budget than originally planned.

They just released their BT VR game (The Mage's Tale) last month and remember that Fargo has announced to go into retirement after WL3 ships so I don't think they have anything fancy in the pipeline.

9. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 16:43 Undocumented Alien

Starflight would be awesome with the latest tech out today. Had so much fun with that on my Tandy 1000. I'd buy an updated version just for nostalgia.  

8. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 16:31 Creston

What's inXile working on besides Wasteland 3? Is the Bard's Tale remake out already?  

7. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 16:28 JoeNapalm

Man. One of the all time greats from my youth.

I don't know how you could reboot this and do it justice...but I wish them the best of luck!

-Jn-

6. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 15:22 Cutter

I thought it was sky rockets in flight...afternoon delight....

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

5. Re: Starflight Remake Plans? Aug 9, 2017, 15:08 WaltC

I have been mystified for years why no one has done a nice reboot of Starflight--what a great discovery, exploration, alien-mystery-to-unravel game it was in its day--it even featured hostile aliens! You chased the mystery across galaxies, through wormholes, hunting for clues in ancient ruins, etc. Starflight had it all, and was far more than merely a trading/fighting game. You sought out and discovered colony planets--a big source of income in the game. The trading and the fighting served as the background for the main story--which was just how it should have been, imo. People were smarter in those days, too (only half-joking about that...;))--which maybe explains why it's never been rebooted.

If I was younger and wanted to pull a crew together to do a game it would be that one! EA screwed up with the Mass Effect games--the first one had the potential do be a Starflight reboot--but those games are far too cheesy and don't come close to the possibilities! Hope this happens! Can you imagine the cool scanning and topographical maps that could be generated from orbit today? The possibilities are limitless. Just so long as it's not some cheesy rip off made for pre-teens with no brains...;) Puh-leaze...!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo